PDA

View Full Version : BA to pull out of LGW

Bluejay
27th Nov 2001, 10:42
I hear through the grapevine that Rod has stated that he will pull out of LGW upon the completion of T5. The rumour about pulling out of LGW has been going for some time now but the official reply has always been along the lines of LGW is a major european hub and is of great importance to BA.

Anybody have any idea wether or not this is true or is it just another rumour? :confused: :confused: :confused:

In trim
27th Nov 2001, 20:43
Wouldn't surprise me at all.....they're just looking for an excuse.

Of course, if they'd left LGW shorthaul to CityFlyer and other franchises they could have had a nice, profitable little operation. I wonder if they are having regrets about integrating CityFlyer since September 11th?

Oh well, if BA pull out I'm sure there'll be plenty of Orange paint splashed about LGW !!

apacau
1st Dec 2001, 14:46
Pity, LGW is far nicer to transfer at than the horrors at LHR (out of 4 transfers they have twice lost my luggage - add to that the long bus transfer T1 to T4 for BA flights).

Maybe things will improve with T5 - will BA (and partners) exclusively use this terminal handing over access of T1 and T4 to other airlines?

PAXboy
1st Dec 2001, 18:56
BA have always wanted their own terminal at LHR to facilitate transfers. They wanted to build it themselves, as has been done by other carriers at other airports around the world.

When T4 was built they wanted it for themselves but were refused, although they have about 90% of it. I would not be surprised if the do drop LGW but the completion of T5 is some way off and who knows what state the biz will be in by then.

On the transfer thing, as I live near to LHR I have only been in transit through it once. When working in Germany and on a trip to South Africa where the best price was with VS. But because it was with two carriers, it was two separate legs and no chance for the baggage to be lost.

On Monday, I am going to South Africa again but this time via Germany! Crazy I know but I am using the LH miles that I earnt whilst working there. Now both legs are with LH, so I wait and see. The last time I did a similar thing with LH, my bag missed the connection. That was MUC/FRA/DTW but it was hand delivered the next day.

JB007
2nd Dec 2001, 16:54
The last 'juicy' rumour I heard was a deal with one of it's franchise operators @ LGW for them to take a large number of it's short haul aircraft and pilots. This way, offloading BA of it's short-haul programme and keeping it's slots at LGW.

sokoyu
7th Dec 2001, 18:36
I agree with the post that says LGW is a much better place than LHR. That being said, I'd be happy to see BA pull out of Gatwick if it means an end to having to transfer between airports.

I don't suppose they could pull out of Heathrow??

PAXboy
8th Dec 2001, 05:14
I think a large part of it is what you are used to. I hate LGW!

Because I live much closer to LHR, I only use LGW once every few years, or to Meet 'n Greet.

I have been using LHR for 36 years and despite them changing bits of it without warning, I know it inside out and always enjoy going there. Yes, I know I'm sick :p