PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Service Packs

olympus
7th Mar 2010, 15:52
I've just done a clean install of Windows XP Pro on a computer which I constructed about five years ago. I used an up-to-date disc which included SP3.

Almost immediately Windows Update started downloading the latest updates which it recommends I install on my computer. I have no problem with this (indeed I expect it); what I can't understand is why it has downloaded SP2 and is asking me to install that. Surely this will take me back to a state earlier than that which I had after installing from the disc which included SP3?

Can anyone explain?

PoloJamie
7th Mar 2010, 16:52
Are you sure the install disk already had SP3 slipstreamed into it? To install SP3 on an XP system that doesn't have SP3 installed you have to have SP2 installed already. The only viable reason I can see why WU is asking to install SP2 is if isn't installed already?

olympus
7th Mar 2010, 17:11
It's a genuine Windows XP version 2002 disc upon which it clearly states 'Includes Service Pack 3'

BOAC
7th Mar 2010, 18:13
I reckons you've been shafted, Oly:{. SP3 was released mid 2008 I think - not thinking of Office 2002 are you?

olympus
7th Mar 2010, 20:47
Well that's always a possibility but in this case I don't think so.

It's a genuine holographic Windows XP version 2002 disc (with product key) and upon which it clearly states 'Includes Service Pack 3' and that is what has been installed and it has passed Microsoft's verification process. When I open up Properties in 'My Computer' it plainly says 'Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3' on the General tab.

My understanding was that the SPs are cumulative. If you have SP3 then you automatically have 1 and 2?

BOAC
7th Mar 2010, 20:51
Well, I don't know - I cannot see any GENUINE looking XP Pro 2002 CDs with SP3 for sale. Where did you buy it? The fact that it is asking you to install SP2 seems highly suspicious.

Sprogget
7th Mar 2010, 21:28
From where did you get the disc?

Saab Dastard
7th Mar 2010, 21:31
BOAC,

Windows XP was released in 2002, that's what the 2002 refers to.

SP3 can, AFAIK, be slipstreamed onto any original media - RTM/Gold, SP1 or SP2.

It cannot be added to an existing XP installation without at least SP1.

This sounds like genuine media - that's what is peculiar.

Olympus, have you tried the MS forums?

SD

BOAC
7th Mar 2010, 21:44
Crossed with Sprogget while editing my post to ask same question! I thought all disks nowadays were just labelled 'XP Pro' only without the '2002'?

Saab Dastard
7th Mar 2010, 22:47
BOAC, the main title is Windows XP, but up towards the top right is "Version 2002".

At least that's the case for MS branded retail copies, and Volume Licensing media.

I've no idea what other OEM branded disks (Dell, HP, etc.) look like.

Also, in My Computer / Properties, it is clearly Version 2002.

SD

BOAC
8th Mar 2010, 07:52
I sit corrected - same in my 'My Computer' - I had never noticed, and my XP original disc is long hidden away somewhere as I work on a slipstreamed SP3 disc. Apologies for a possible false alarm, but I still cannot understand the 'must install SP2' trail though.

Mike-Bracknell
8th Mar 2010, 19:13
With a lot of the earlier versions of SP3, SP2 was a pre-requisite. It appeared that MS had 'forgotten' the need to roll up previous service packs in SP3. I believe that's fixed now with the later ones.