PDA

View Full Version : Ndola C185 crash

Carrier
7th Mar 2010, 13:53
The Post Newspapers Zambia - Latest News, Politics, Business, Sports, Photos, Videos Home News 2 die in plane crash at Ndola International Airport (http://postzambia.com/post-read_article.php?articleId=6709)

"TWO people died on the spot at Ndola International Airport yesterday after the plane they were using during a flying lesson crashed.
An eyewitness, who sought anonymity, narrated to The Post in Ndola that a man was teaching a Kenyan national how to fly when he suddenly lost control and hit into a Zega truck loader.
The Kenyan has been identified as Ayub Barisa while the man, whose nationality is yet to be established, is John Murphy.
Both bodies are in Ndola Central Hospital mortuary.
Hospital public relations officer Sheona Chalimbana confirmed the deaths.
Authorities at Ndola International Airport declined to comment on the matter, referring all queries to the director of civil aviation Chitalu Kabalika.
When contacted, Kabalika declined to comment on the matter on grounds that he was in a meeting discussing the same incident."

Flying Bean
7th Mar 2010, 17:55
Terrible News.

Seems rather a strange accident.
Can any Zambian Ppruners please post more details.
Was it a taxyway or apron accident?

I have opened a separate Condolence thread

Flying Bean
8th Mar 2010, 05:57
Bit more informal information. Not an eyewitness report.

He was doing a type conversion for a Kenyan or Nigerian pilot on a C185 belonging to IRLCO - International Red Locust Control Organisation. It appears that on landing,for whatever reason, they departed the runway and collided with a passenger stairway or baggage loader on the apron. It seems a bit odd . The apron at Ndola is set well back from the runway.

Any more info please post

sicamore
8th Mar 2010, 11:57
was the instructor and a bit of a legend in Zambia. He's been flying for many many years in all from a microlight, to a DC10. He has survived a crash in a DC3 in Malawi that killed the other two crew before treking for a day and half to a village, scaring the bejesus out of the locals before being 'rescued'

It's a weird accident, with the plane coming to rest about 200m from the runway into the back of a freight loader. The engine was ejected from the plane and the entire front caved in. The kenyan student died immediately and John died in the ambulance on the way to the hospital. Eyewitnesses say that the plane was doing touch and goes, and on a landing a wing clipped the ground. Engine power was heard, but the plane apparently veered to off the runway for some time and looks like it was still going at speed when crashing head on. It looks like the plane was still on the ground.

Here's a picture from the post: The Post Newspapers Zambia - Latest News, Politics, Business, Sports, Photos, Videos Home News 2 die in plane crash at Ndola International Airport (http://postzambia.com/post-read_article.php?articleId=6709)

A true character and may he rest in Peace.

thats entertainment!
8th Mar 2010, 22:44
Had the pleasure to meet John, an aviator, a scholar and gentleman. Sad loss.

GUSTO
9th Mar 2010, 14:53
I remember John back in 2000 when I flew for the same company . Really nice man and good old pilot .

RIP John .

Flying Bean
9th Mar 2010, 16:47
A condolence and memories thread is running on the

"Where are they now " forum

Goffel
10th Mar 2010, 10:59
very tragic......not sure if this was the first tail dragger that the Kenyen was being converted onto......185 not the best tail dragger to learn on.

Flew for the company in the late 90's......brilliant company to fly for and great flying.....people I worked with were all really solid chaps.

RIP John.

Goffel.

Gibron
12th Mar 2010, 07:57
Ayub was also an instuctor at wilson airport. Great man. He taught me how to fly. Will miss u:{

4144r
12th Mar 2010, 10:17
I flew with him back in the 2000, nice guy, lot of stories about Africa where John spend his life.
very sad end.
P

rudder hard over
12th Mar 2010, 18:19
I too had the privelage of meeting John while flying 9J-CGC for Airwaves. Very sad loss indeed.
Condolences to the family and friends