PDA

View Full Version : Delta to tampa via Atlanta

Man-on-the-fence
25th Sep 2000, 00:46
Having travelled direct to my destination many times across the pond, I now find myself having to change planes for the first time since I was twelve (yes it was a long time ago :) )

I am flying with Delta to Tampa (DL59) via Atlanta (DL995) from LGW on 1st Nov returning on the 15th Nov and if anyone could answer the following it would be greatly appreciated.

1. Does one clear Immigration at Atlanta or Tampa?

3. Is an hour and a half long enough for this (I was in a queue for two hours last year at Boston)

2. Is baggage transferred automatically? If so anybody taking bets that it ends up in Hawaii

I am travelling for a Wedding so it would be good to know whether it is best to pack the glad rags or wear them. Last time I transferred coming back from my luggage had a lovely holiday in Egypt.

Hope you experienced travellers can help. Thanks for taking the time if you do.

(Edited to reduce the number of smilies so as not to make SLF feel queasy)

[This message has been edited by Man-on-the-fence (edited 24 September 2000).]

Mode Charlie
25th Sep 2000, 01:58
MOTF, I've done this route with DL many times in the past.

1. clear immigration at Atlanta.

2. you have to pick up your bags in ATL to go through customs/agriculture. As soon as you walk through the customs door you will see all the transfer desks. Just give your bags back to DL and they should make the connection.

3. yes it is *usually* long enough but perhaps a bit tight if there is a big queue at immigration. I've been through ATL to TPA at least 10 times. I've never missed a connection yet and my bags have made it to TPA. It is a bloody long way between the international terminal and the terminal you'll need to go to to catch the domestic to TPA. They have an underground train that runs between all the terminals. There have been occasions where I've had to run to make the connection. My feeling is if they know there are international transfers going onto a domestic then they usually hold up the domestic flight for a few minutes.

If you need any more info then just email me.

ExSimGuy
25th Sep 2000, 10:20
Once your baggage is transferred and in the hold, they are quite keen to wait a few extra minutes for you - but don't let that encourage you to stop over in the bar too long - as they get miffed! (understandably)

------------------
---- "Per Ardua ad Mixas" ----
(Through hardship to the bars)

Man-on-the-fence
26th Sep 2000, 23:30
Thanks for your replies guys

as if I would be tempted to spend time in the bar, perish the thought. ;)

Seriously though, they have a hard enough job as it is rounding up wayward pax without having to find one who should know better

Any other tips would be most gratefully received

Groundgripper
27th Sep 2000, 23:25
Only travelled through ATL twicee, this February going MAN-ATL-SLC and back, but was mightily impressed with the airport. Twenty five minutes after the tyres hitting the ground, Mrs GG and I were sitting in the domestic terminal having a snack and waiting for the onward connection. Were we just lucky (both times)? Great train system between terminals - spent the time on it identifying all the different languages used!

superpax
30th Sep 2000, 15:18
Only travelled via ATL once and was NOT impressed. Very badly organised. Not enough bays opened at immigration and no attempt to separate those who need no visa from those who do. However, got through without delay by using my initiative - went through bay marked "special assistance passengers" - was not asked if I was disabled etc - they just waved me through. Similarly in Delhi - marched through bay marked "Official/Diplomatic". Moral - if you walk through like you are entitled they will probably assume that you are! Also have you ever tried going up to the person in a long line and asking (politely) if they mind your going first as you feel ill/have a connection/etc? Have done so many times and people were so surprised they didn't object. Most pax behave like sheep so if you are that bit smarter you can run rings round.

The Sleeping Pax
1st Oct 2000, 08:58
SuperPax. Thanks for that Posting. Next time someone like you tries to queue Jump with those excuses I'll be the one saying NO! Unless they vomit all over me!
http://smilecwm.tripod.com/net4/pukeface.gif

superpax
2nd Oct 2000, 16:14
Sleepingpax- If I go to my local supermarket I have the choice of waiting in line with a full cart behind other people who are equally loaded up or going with a basket and a few things through the "quick" checkout and paying cash. The system is designed to take account of need because it is unfair that a single person with a few items shouldn't be stuck behind someone stocking up the larder for 10 kids. Therefore, don't bag me because some of these airports have a corrupt and inefficient system which takes no account of priority or need. I didn't invest these stupid systems. The "first come first served" mentality is no fairer than any other if you actually think about it, rather than taking it completely for granted. For example:

Why should someone with a connection risk missing it because they are behind others who have no such time pressure? Anyone who misses a connection out of politeness is crazy.
Why should someone who needs no visa wait behind people from obscure countries who take an age to deal with? All these akward customers should be made to go in the same line.
Why should someone who has a disability or feels ill/confused & is travelling alone stand about (getting more stressed and confused) behind people who are travelling in groups?

I could go on endlessly. In the middle east and some other regions a few well-placed $ can get you to the front of any line. What ticks you off sleeping pax is that someone is smart enough to manipulate the system instead of just standing there and standing there and winging about it. Rules were made to be used to one's own advantage, which inevitably means that they function to someone else's disadvantage. Hahahah!
http://smilecwm.tripod.com/net4/pukeface.gif

[This message has been edited by superpax (edited 03 October 2000).]

Man-on-the-fence
2nd Oct 2000, 16:36
oops
What have I started

simitra
6th Oct 2000, 04:17
I have to come in here and say that although I do not agree with all that superpax says I agree in principle that it is crazy to risk missing a connection because of long lines at immigration. I often travel with my mother who is visibly disabled (walks with a stick) and therefore not capable of standing for long periods. I have often asked someone at the front of a line if they minded us going first for this reason and no-one has ever objected. The only problems have been where someone does not speak English but as soon as I have got the message over people are only too glad to help, including putting out bags up onto customs counters, fetching us trolleys, and so-on. I do not agree with sleeping pax that this is "queue jumping" for a person with special needs to go ahead of others who are fit and able and do not begrudge this privilage. After all, we will all get old someday and may not be so mobile ourselves. So do not be so uncharitable sleeping pax - don't you have any elderly and frail relatives and would you like someone to be callous and surly to them?

pigboat
6th Oct 2000, 06:48
simitra, I have never posted in this forum before, and have no wish to cause you any distress, but I think TSP is aware of what it's like to travel with someone requiring assistance.

Doors to Automatic
24th Oct 2000, 02:39
I travelled on the same flight DL59 through Atlanta at the end of August. We were through customs in 10 minutes flat - amazing efficiency and service. The contrast could not have been greater to the early days at JFK where 2 hour waits followed by the thrid degree were commonplace. The only problem with ATL is the distance between gates.