PDA

View Full Version : In Flight Drinking

Perky Penguin
18th Apr 2001, 05:42
If an airline can sell me litres of duty free spirits for £10 why do they charge £2 for a miniature? If I choose to bring a small quantity of my own gin or whatever on board and drink it am I in breach of some unenforceable airline regulation or is there some Air Navigation Order that actually has the power to make such an act illegal? I am aware of the rules about being fit to operate emergency exits, not opening your duty free in flight, not being drunk on board, being denied boarding if apparently unfit through drink etc.

The Daily Telegraph had an article some months back saying that it wasn't illegal. I don't want to get drunk but I don't want to pay £5 for a double gin and tonic in International Airspace either!

------------------

ExSimGuy
18th Apr 2001, 11:52
If you are in international airspace, you are obviously on an international flight - and scheduled carriers usually don't charge at all. I guess you could be talking about charter outfits ?

If charter, the share thay get of your holiday package must be pretty small after the hotel is taken out of what you paid, so I am guessing that the exorbitant drinks prices help them to stay in profit :)

As regards "long-haul international" flights on scheduled airlines, I'd personally prefer to pay a reasonable (duty free!) charge for a drink, as I sometimes feel a bit of a freeloader when asking for a second or third soon after take-off when I've already done one long sector and want to sleep for the next 7 hours :)

Haven't had a drink on a domestic in Europe for a while, but a couple of dollars seems to be the going rate on US domestic sectors - not too bad!

------------------
What goes around . . .
. . often lands better!

deepee
18th Apr 2001, 11:53
Travel on an airline where all the inflight grog is free.Having to pay is inconvenient to all concerned.

static
18th Apr 2001, 12:39
Perky, the answer is simple:
If you are not allowed to drink your own booze, this means that the crew has control over the amount of alcohol the passengers consume.
I guess you can see the flight safety advantages that brings.
On my airline all drinks are free, but that doesn`t mean it`s "drink as much as you can".

Cheers.

ExSimGuy
18th Apr 2001, 17:03
Aw, Static . . . .

But let's face it, there is no airline where I can "drink as much as I can", as they usually run out http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

OSI: PAX KNOWN FOR EXTREME DEHYDRATION STOP CATERING TO LOAD EXTRA BEER

(demonstration available in 11 days time at the Brighton Mini-Bash :) )

kabz
19th Apr 2001, 00:31
UK-USA scheduled BA flights are usually pretty good. i.e. free 10 yo Glenmorangie.

Best ever was huge vodkas poured from the bottle on Servienca flying from West Venezuela to Caracas.