PDA

View Full Version : Copa 2010

Pages : [1] 2

johnrico
7th Mar 2010, 03:17
So whats the latest and greatest with Copa? any updates on hiring news, interview gouge or rel. info out there as of today. Gracias

Fulkrum
12th Mar 2010, 14:55
Hey John! Gimme a call, I was just out there three weeks ago and dropped off a res.

Ed

Wandering.Aviator
12th Mar 2010, 18:57
Hey Guys,
Just got an email, from HR giving me a test date. PM me or email me and maybe we can get some info from each other.

Ciao

johnrico
12th Mar 2010, 20:09
hey guys my email is [email protected] send me a note.

john

debs
24th Mar 2010, 18:14
Hi guys,

Im a spanish dash 8 fo, meeting copa requirements. I have tried sending my papers to [email protected] ([email protected]) , but it gets bounced back.
I filled in the web application, but I´m quite suspicious of it woking properly.

Would anybody be so kind to provide me with contact details for the people in charge of pilot selection, or otherwise the hr dept?

Thanks and Good luck to everybody!

UFPilot
26th Mar 2010, 04:59
I know on another forum I saw a guy say he was going to Panama for an interview with Copa this month. Not sure what his times were but looked like he flew the Saab-340.

I was born in Panama but moved to the US when I was very little. I've done all of my flying in the US but I'm curious if Copa would consider me at the Panamanian pilot minimums of 250 total hours. Anyone have any insight on this? Thanks

CHIPIFLY
27th Mar 2010, 19:28
Hi guys. I´m trying to send me documentation to copa´s email but seem that it cannot get througt. Has anyone another email from RRHH or a telephon number to contact them. Thanks:ok:

BCUBERO
4th Apr 2010, 03:14
Whre are you from, when is your test and where.

PAMPA2000
4th Apr 2010, 14:55
Anyone found out the alternate way to send your info?, since the email posted in their website doesn't work. It gets returned.
Also anyone knows their payscale, specially for Captains?

PAMPA2000
12th Apr 2010, 17:40
Hi Debs, did you get your info over to Copa?, I have been trying to but no-one responds with any solid data has to how to send your stuff to Copa. Let me know if you do please?
Thanks
Good Luck.

Schickfuss
13th Apr 2010, 17:46
Yesterday a friend of mine recieved a mail from Carolina Henriquez ,they were bad news ,HIRING OF EXPATS FO MAYBE AT THE END OF THE YEAR,they are hiring currently only nationals ...I was shortlisted with other 20 Jet expirienced FOs ...inicially we will continue the assestment in May ,but now all is CANCELLED for the expats until further advice ...

Squawk7777
13th Apr 2010, 22:27
COPA's way of treating applicants is quite extraordinary. I applied as DEC and I never heard anything, despite talking to various higher-ups. Never heard anything from Carolina Henriquez (not even a reply!). I called, emailed, was in PTY to make contacts ... nothing.

Then I get a call from a friend of mine, getting the info that COPA was in MEX last week on a recruitment show and "hired" quite a few Mexican pilots. :rolleyes: Speaking of expats... which kind are we talking about? Latin-American nationals and non Latin-American nationals?

Hope y'all have better luck than me!

7 7 7 7

CAPTDOUG
17th Apr 2010, 17:18
COPA is now hiring Captains. They are interviewing starting end of April, 2010 with a class in June and August. They have an agreement with Continental Airlines (because Continental owns their airplanes and the union there is weak and unable or incapable to enforce scope) that they give preferential hiring to furloughed and retired CAL pilots. I dont know about the rest of the seats. They have been very quick to respond so if u dont get a response then u can assume they are not interested.

Yeager08
17th Apr 2010, 23:52
Captdawg,

Where do you send your resume to? Apparently, the email address posted on their website does not work.

Y.

Willie Everlearn
18th Apr 2010, 17:26
There must be an easier way of contacting COPA directly as it seems their web process is dead in the water.
I've been trying to apply for months now, off and on, but I always get nowhere. Maybe it has something to do with Panama and Canada internet connectivity? :ugh:

Can you call them in Panama or is calling this Carolina the better option?
Wouldn't mind some help/advice/assistance with this if you're so inclined?

Willie :ok:

K-lango
12th May 2010, 19:33
Mine went through just fine. I even got a nice automated response letter saying they received my stuff and that they will get in touch with me whenever hiring starts.

davidsata
27th May 2010, 06:02
hello everybody!!!

does anyone knows what happened with the exams and interviews that copa did in mexico???

I was interviewed for a FO capacity a few weeks ago and I recieved an email saying that HR accepted me, they said the next exam would be in panama (simulator) but now i have been waiting and waiting for a date but still without one...

Does anyone knows how is the sim exam in copa?

JDST

Fern271
27th May 2010, 18:30
Hello Ed I am Fernando I saw you were there any news you can give me ? I was planning to go there for a couple of days to do the same any feed back?
Fernando

NinjaStar
30th May 2010, 03:45
Sim will be on a King Air 200, SID at random airport, hold, ILS to miss app, ILS to land and any extras they wanna give you, (at least that was my case)

good luck!:ok:

davidsata
30th May 2010, 18:59
Thanks about that!!!

I've spent hours and hours in the sim practicing approaches of tocumen intl airport (i found the charts in the jepp manual of my father) but thats the only panamian airport that i have charts for!!

does anybody knows where i can get charts for other panamian airports?

NinjaStar
30th May 2010, 19:48
Don't bother, IF they give you something in Panama, it will be Tocumen but it's very unlikely. Most probably any other random airport that they fly to, I got Cancun, others got El Salvador, Bogota, etc, don't waste your time.

svsoftair
30th May 2010, 20:20
Copa has one of the poorest management in the America`s

From the treatment my friends received during selection and a few of them who dared to take the job...I may need to say...don`t waste your time after all they will make sure you starve in Panama.

K-lango
1st Jun 2010, 11:08
So far I haven't heard anything bad from Copa. I think is a great place to work and best of all to get to live in Panama, but I dont work there, so I don't really know what goes on there. Anybody have any gouges from the interview process for Copa?

davidsata
1st Jun 2010, 14:20
that's true!! there's noone who has told me a diferent tale about copa, poor management, bad salary, xenophobia and else

but you know!! maybe is appearing to me as a wonderful option not because it seems to be a real good one, is because maybe is my only one so far!!

there are just a few that consider non type rated pilots with no jet or efis experience

K-lango
1st Jun 2010, 18:03
I guess is all about where everyone wants to be. I think is the same crap just about anywhere you go, some just focus on the money, days off, and bennies, while other simply want a better QOL or just be working in their own turf without having to commute. But overall, I think Copa is a great company, Panama has improved significantly in the last ten years and is growing at a fast pace. In 10 years, I think Panama will be the Dubai of Central America. Better be part of the Copa team now while its growing than after it reaches its plateau.

Panama Jack
3rd Jun 2010, 17:39
In 10 years, I think Panama will be the Dubai of Central America

What a shame. Panamá used to be such a lovely place. :sad:

atpcliff
10th Jun 2010, 13:59
Hi!

CAL (Continental) is recalling, and will recall all before merger with UAL, so that will cutoff some of the pilot supply. Also, the US as a whole is picking up, so less US guys avail as expats.

cliff
LFW

davidsata
10th Jun 2010, 21:12
sounds good!! i really want to fly in copa and it seems it will help

THE THUNDER
11th Jun 2010, 12:05
Hello,

Somebody know something about dates for COPA's interviews?

They have called somebody from this forum?

Good luck all

paokara
12th Jun 2010, 16:15
What is the pay for a direct entry captain, any idea

Schickfuss
10th Jul 2010, 03:15
Last Month 4 friends of mine were called to PTY for the FO Recruitment process ,first of all they do not care on how many hours or Types do you have ,the most important test to go on is the psycotechnical one ,this is because the girls from Human Resourses as you will know if you are been called does not know anything about the industry and they got an order from top management that if someone fails this test is automatically out no matter how highly rated or expirienced it may be ,so do not believe that your resume will let you in . they pick you up at Tocumen ,then directly to the sim ,the sim for FO is on an kig air 200 SID from margarita venezuela ,then some holdings ,then a 17 dme arc to maiquetia venezuela ,VOR DME to runway 10 go aroud and published go around holding ...then to the blood test for drugs ,and now the polygraph ,questions about your resume and drugs habits...all of this my friends told me takes all day ...next day they pick you up at 7 am for the 50 questions ,is a JAA wannabe test mixed with FAA ,2 hours for the test then the psycotech ,2 hours you have to do some drawings ,some exercises .when you finished to the airport no matter if you have to wait 3 ,4 5 o whatever hours ,the girls maybe carolina henriquez or marie tejedor they said OK wait for a week for our reply ,bla ,bla bla ...those friends they waited for 30 days ,2 made it ,2 failed , from the week they went where among them 30 applicants just 6 made it ...the feedback from those pilots was POOR TREATMENT along the process ,many promises ,and in their own words ,your resume and work expirience is NOT taken in account so JUST PAST the PSYCOTECHNICAL and you are IN ,if not depending on the graphic you are blocked to apply for a year .My friends they knew that pilots from Belize ,Uruguay ,Chile ,Argentina are been called for the FO assestment, ONE PILOT could not will apply never again to copa because in his resume he wrote that he have 1000 hours but really he has 950 ,so miss henriquez saids that kind of people are the ones that if they lie in their resume someday will lie to the company ...SO TAKE care of the polygraph either ...assestments will continue for almost the end of the year ,good luck to everybody !!! Do some hours and change to the DUNE$$$$$$$

criveramia
11th Jul 2010, 09:07
i keep reading mix signals from you guys about copa airlines , i need some jet time so taca or copa would be my best bet if i could get in , originally from nicaragua but hold a US citizenship , spanish and english lenguage , living in miami
commute would be great for me , what is the advise out there , i heard they will hire you but you must pay for 1000 hrs , people from spain is paying for it, i need some reference taca and copa SINCE i hear so many rumors ..... thanks so much

casablanca
17th Jul 2010, 17:40
I am living in Panama part time. I recently jumpseated to PTY and had chance to visit with a new hire into the left seat at Copa. He was retired from a US major so was pretty high on experience. He seemed to like it although it was more of a hobby for a couple of years as he was already bored staying at home.
I believe he said pay for him was around 6000 US per month.
Panama is anything but cheap anymore, I find the cost of living comparable to USA.

A-3TWENTY
18th Jul 2010, 19:22
If they keep paying such low salaries they will look for pilots for the next 100 years.

They loose lots of pilots who change for better conditions

Schickfuss
19th Jul 2010, 16:13
Last week Copa contacted again a friend who does not passed the assestment in March ,they offered a new chance this August but he refused because he is hired in his country ...as I posted before these ladies does not know anything about Aviation ,they contacted another pilot asking if he want to go in august for the Capt assastment but he answered that he does not qualify for the seat but the ladie saids YES because you have 2000 hours as CARAVAN CAPTAIN ! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA also this pilot declined the offer ,he is going to the Middle east soon ...80% of applicants fail the psycotechnical test which as I posted before is a MUST to go on ...but looks like rules change for the need of pilots as this friend told me he recieved a mail in which was stated that he can try in ONE YEAR , they are calling him 4 months after ,so COPA what the applicants can EXPECT !!!...???

misd-agin
1st Aug 2010, 01:40
Searched for a COPA thread after seeing a COPA crew at customs. FO looked very, very young. :eek: Even F/A's were saying "how old is he???"

flyingsaucer
2nd Aug 2010, 00:42
Hello,

Anyone know what is the starting pay for FO? and are they actively hiring?
As far as DEC, would they hire a guy that meets the requirement but with CRJ time?

ernestoj777
3rd Aug 2010, 06:11
the starting pay is 2700 while you get through your type training this includes pay for food and so...and after your check ride it increses up to 3200 for 63hours of flight plus 800 of housing for 2 years, after the hour64 up to the hour 100 you'll get 63 US for each extra flight hour, so do the math

Squawk7777
4th Aug 2010, 08:36
Is it true that COPA is picky on the nationality of foreigners? I was told that US citizens are not preferred.

rotation72
4th Sep 2010, 18:02
Always talking about money.....

paokara
7th Sep 2010, 15:30
Yes CRJ time is good, need a lot of pic for direct entry.

737 NG Captain package is everything all together 6250x13 pay months....for 63 hrs of flying per month above that 64 dollars per hour.
with 80 hrs per month you could make around 7300 dollars per month with 20%taxes paid by you.

training contract $18.400, with 7-10 days off.

I hope this help, not a lot but good company

Willie Everlearn
16th Sep 2010, 03:40
That sounds like not a lot of flying in a month.
20% is a reasonable tax rate. But are you paid in USD? I've heard you use USDs.
What's the price of a 2 bdrm villa out of curiosity?

A word to the young and restless Panamanian pilot.
Locals need to support their national carrier and understand their desire to achieve a command is understandable by the expat, but foolhardy without the proper preparation and experience is likely a disaster waiting to happen. Be patient. Get your experience alongside experienced Captains from wherever they may hail. You will have much to gain and help Copa in return. They will be a strong and viable carrier in the years ahead from which you can build a career and a future.
Young, inexperienced, and impatient individuals have accidents and accidents can spell the end for any rising star airline. Including Copa.
Be careful what you wish for.

A young bull standing atop a hill overlooking a herd of cows said to the old bull beside him, "Why don't we run down there and screw us a cow?"
To which the old bull replied, "Why don't we walk down and screw them all?"

You can also teach the expats in return.

Willie :ok:

Aerodmb
22nd Dec 2010, 00:25
What's the latest and greatest at Copa? Anyone getting calls yet for interviews? Seems like they need to start ramping up hiring with all of the 73's on order.

Immigrant
22nd Dec 2010, 10:26
2Aerodmb

They never stop.... :)

chileno 777
30th Dec 2010, 13:13
Could anybody pls inform if the FAA Class 1 medical is valid in Panama/Copa?

Aerodmb
31st Dec 2010, 00:43
Immigrant,

Thanks for the feedback. Have you heard any hiring numbers or number of upcoming interview slots in the next 1-2 months? Are ex-pats getting calls? What kind of applicant are they looking for?

Thanks again.

Panama Jack
31st Dec 2010, 04:59
I love your words of wisdom, Willie Everlearn!!! :D :ok:

paokara
31st Dec 2010, 15:27
280 new hires for 2011

Aerodmb
1st Jan 2011, 01:30
Thanks for the numbers paokara.

Immigrant
3rd Jan 2011, 23:12
2Aerodmb

Have no idea about slots and dates..sorry, but I think you hardly need them.
2011 coming 10 -800's plus a lot of retirements....it will be just a conveyer. :D
And of course ex-pats the main stream on it :ok:

pacrion
4th Jan 2011, 17:15
What about min. requirements. Will you need 1000+ for expat f/o position?

TheOne83
4th Jan 2011, 18:20
Pacrion, i just looked at their website and for expat they still require 1.000 TT flight time... So for me is a no go for the time being.. :(
250 hrs for the locals to apply..
and of course, the spanish language is probably a must too, which i do have

pacrion
4th Jan 2011, 20:46
yep, I speak spanish too. I thought they could have changed them...what a pitty.

Aerodmb
4th Jan 2011, 21:58
From what I have heard from numerous people is Spanish is not required, although its desired to at least have an understanding and/or willing of the language and the culture.

paokara
5th Jan 2011, 13:18
all spanish in training

paokara
5th Jan 2011, 13:23
without expats......copa could not grow, simple as that...Great people but the pay needs to increase 30 percent or current pay totally tax free.....my opnion

Alfredo tp
11th Feb 2011, 20:31
So, anything new on hiring? I am checking their website once a while, let's see if they start soon.
Will be 'stalking' on them, as soon as I know more, I will let you guys know.
200+ in 2011, and lots of new plane, that sounds great! (At least to me:))

paokara
12th Feb 2011, 01:27
faa is no good

You need to do an extensive AAC medical...cost around 600

AviatorJack
13th Feb 2011, 21:50
Polygraph? Gees!

So what is that on, not that I'm worrying but what do they ask?

AviatorJack
21st Feb 2011, 05:19
Ok folks I have figured out the reason for why so many people are having problems with the given email address for applications.

I went back to my Outlook and realised that with all the scans of licenses and logbooks etc. the actual email was around 20MB in size. Some email accounts cannpt receive emails over a certain size. I then compressed all of my attached documents so the whole thing was under 2MB and presto it sent and I received the automated response form Copa 5 minutes later.

For all that have had problems I suggest you use Microsoft Photo Editor and just compress all scanned images, then resend. It should work.................good luck to all!

Alfredo tp
21st Feb 2011, 07:41
Yup!Agree with you! But that's the way they take applications. Seems like no emails, only via 'nuestrohub'.
The only thing in 'operaciones' is Flight Attendant so far, and I think another one, but no pilot position yet.
The filling out was indeed a little bit annoying, but finally it's done!
:ok:

Alfredo tp
21st Feb 2011, 07:43
Actually, did you send it via email as well, or do you mean via nuestrohub?

AviatorJack
21st Feb 2011, 07:48
Eventually both, just make sure that when you send it to the email address your email isn't too large or it will get kicked back.

Alfredo tp
21st Feb 2011, 11:30
Thanks for that, didn't know that. That's why it never worked:}
What is the direct email address again?

(And I thought they just don't like my email account and got it as spam or similar, hahahaha!)

capt_j
21st Feb 2011, 23:38
I got an email back that my application was received. Waiting for further response if any.

Boomerang1
24th Feb 2011, 00:26
Copa´s Offer: Pay and Benefits
A. Pay: Captain
 Base Salary - $3,000.00 per Month. This amount is taxable according to Panamanian fiscal law.
 Gastos de Representacion - $760.00 This amount is taxable according to Panamanian fiscal law.
 Per Diem –63 hours -$882.00
 Productivity - $200.00
 Additional hours above 63, will be paid at a rate of $64.00.
*An additional $ 640 per month is paid at the completion of training (IOE).

I hope that anyone that responds to this offer is currently on welfare and food stamps.

Ptyfly
24th Feb 2011, 11:46
Have tried numerous times to apply online. It is not working, what is the problem? Anyone know? Firewall, system...?
What email have you used to apply online?

Ptyfly
24th Feb 2011, 11:50
Any update on Copa hiring these days? News?
Do they set group dates?
Is there any way to have contact with HR?

Boomerang1
24th Feb 2011, 15:33
You must not be qualified for the job at COPA, If you were qualified you wouldn't want to work for these low wages. What they are offering is 1/2 the industry standard at the moment.

AviatorJack
24th Feb 2011, 23:57
Yes Boomerang it may seem low but it also seems high compared to other jobs as well. Not every single job in aviation is high paying, if anyone one is on these super wages on here, please PM me as like to come and work with you. Oh wait hang on why would you be on this thread if you weren't interested in working for Copa.

This is not an attack Boomerang, I'm just a little fed up with pilots moaning about their job or wages. :ugh: I was laid off this time last year and I haven't even got a sniff of any other work, not even a reply let alone an interview so if Copa does throw me a bone I will take it.

Peace out! :ok:

Boomerang1
25th Feb 2011, 00:33
If you are a qualified and reasonably current B737 PIC then there are many jobs available that pay more than double COPA's offer. Check out Jet Airways in India. If you not current then try Spice Jet in India. If you want even more money then take a look at all the offers in China. Want a better commuting schedule then look at KAL. Turkish Airlines & FlyDubai are also hiring.

If you are not qualified then take the COPA job if they will hire you.

Fern271
26th Feb 2011, 17:02
Agree and also people should compare cost of living in other countries, the salary in copa looks a bit lower, but with the cost of living low in Panama it will give you a decent life....

Spread da Aloha
6th Apr 2011, 10:04
Copa is advertising on climbto350.com tonight for captains, they say they need 80 right away...

captseth
6th Apr 2011, 15:52
I saw that, that's an awful lot of Captains but they appear to be willing to train NTR pilots. Big expansion? Turnover? What?

paokara
8th Apr 2011, 17:03
both.....................no $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

thats why

Immigrant
8th Apr 2011, 21:20
Cpat. base salary 2300$ after tax :* :yuk:

paokara
8th Apr 2011, 22:25
no.............around 4500 plus housing after taxes for 63 hrs base.......with around 10k more per year as additional net income plus one month paid vacation per year...

so with 80hrs per month flying is 82k net and free of taxes plus housing free

perropulgozo
10th Apr 2011, 03:09
Dear Paokara,please do not lie and stop misinforming,you wil only cash 3600usd based on 63hrs,10k more pear year only on your dreams, you only get the 13 salary base on a 3000usd - taxes =2200usd the only other xtra is the yearly bonus which varies and it could be max of 7 weeks and again based on 3000usd - taxes so max you might get is 3850usd but remember is based on your performance meaning give up your days off agree to everything and can not call in sick otherwise they will deduct weeks from your bonus, housing is 530usd after taxes and is only for two years keep in mind that the cheapest rent is between 1300usd and 1100usd ( decent place),the one month paid vacation per year does not exist you dont get paid while on vacation that is why everybody stays away from vacations but money is not the worse the way that the local co-workers treat the expats is beyond bad. So my only advise is if you need a free type and you are willing to put up with the low, low salaries and the abuse come on in you will see that those are true facts. Dear Paokara I am pretty sure you are from management and need to find people to fill those seats but please tell the true, people will find out the true rather soon and they are going to leave anyway. Nothing personel only facts 73 and safe landings

Immigrant
10th Apr 2011, 04:28
Putting Base in red ...I didn’t realize that people suffering of Daltonism are reading this forum. :confused:

I underline BASE salary after tax 2300$

paokara
15th Apr 2011, 18:30
I guess they pay me more than you, thats all I have to say....

Oh well, I just post what I get.

Just some quick math: 63 hrs pays 5500 per month, if you take home 3600 that is almost 38 percent tax........not in panama my friend

paokara
15th Apr 2011, 18:35
2300 dollars is First Officer pay......not a captain

Immigrant
17th Apr 2011, 00:32
paokara I hope you read your flight manuals a different way than this forum :uhoh:

P.s

Just wondering, have you EVER looked inside your pay check except of line Totales *=* :confused:

Immigrant
17th Apr 2011, 00:51
To make it strate and base on facts, it is copy from my pay check for 2 weeks , regarding a BASE pay:

Conceptos de Planilla **=* Saldos *=* Ingresos Deducciones*=*Neto*=*
SALARIO BASICO 1,500.00
IMPUESTO SOBRE LA RENTA - 161.52
SEGURO SOCIAL - 171.35
SEGURO EDUCATIVO - 18.78

take a calculator and calculate it , if you never done it before :*

and don't forget to add 30$ that we Must to pay to Union that they f$%&^* us :eek:

Saludos Amigo :ok:

Spread da Aloha
17th Apr 2011, 14:01
I just got an e-mail for this gig, but got two questions... whats the pay for Captains and is this gig commutable to California?

Paokara u use to fly for mesa in the US I think?

Are you at Copa now?

How is it?

Boomerang1
17th Apr 2011, 16:35
This is what Copa is offering as of March for the 1st class. Forget about commuting as they will not give you a block of time off. Also forget about getting any advance notice to attend screening. I received the email to attend screening the night before the flight departs from LAX.

Better yet just forget about COPA.

 Base Salary - $3,000.00 per Month. This amount is taxable according to Panamanian fiscal law.
 Gastos de Representacion - $760.00 This amount is taxable according to Panamanian fiscal law.
 Productivity - $200.00

paokara
18th Apr 2011, 01:56
How much was your other 2 weeks of pay?

Add both net paychecks and tell us how much you get net for 63 hrs.

Then add your housing, i month extra pay, 3 bonus checks per year and tell us how much net you make as a first officer per year

btw the 2300 fo pay i was referring was net per month without bonus or housing or extra month per year pay

Immigrant
19th Apr 2011, 16:01
paokara

Are you pretending or you just ignoring ???? :confused:

Your answer on my following post:

Immigrant
Cpat. base salary 2300$ after tax

was:
paokara

no.............around 4500 plus housing after taxes for 63 hrs base

You just don't want to see word "BASE" or you don't know mining of it?

try to read before you wright

Schickfuss
19th Apr 2011, 18:48
The pay rate is very low for Fo and Capt either ,they were expecting 30 Capts 3 weeks ago and the surprise was that only 2 arrived to PTY ...why ? the answer is simple ,are better options in the market ! Inside copa the local pilots are attending interviews because the pay is not atractive ,maybe for a new pilot who wants to raise his hours and get a jet type but thats all ...experienced pilots are well paid in others parts of the globe ,but if your goal is not to leave america that is the chance ...but ALL the post I had read about copa payment roster etc are ABSOLUTELLY TRUE !

Boomerang1
19th Apr 2011, 23:58
The market will force COPA to pay prevailing wages. We are living in a World economy and if they want to attract qualified pilots that will stay for a reasonable time the wages will have to rise. A very good thing for pilots that want to work on the American continent.

paokara
20th Apr 2011, 01:45
are you happy now.....i like it at copa...so if you dont, dont come here or quit...simple

BossyAussy
20th Apr 2011, 14:49
Schickfuss, thanks for the info on the Copa interview. I am going 4 days from now to interview for DEC there. I am a USA citizen. Would you please elaborate on the Psychotechnical test as much as possible. Do you know where I might find an example online? Also, do you remember a few of the "50 questions"? Were they stuff like ICAO holding speed limits or duty time regs or what? Thank you SO much for ANY further info about this deal.

NOT bossy or Aussy

paokara
22nd Apr 2011, 00:35
good luck...just be yourself.

ATP questions......MMPI test, sympols and shapes and drawings and a sim ride very standard, and an interview with an hr person and a captain.......3 day deal, not hard...

Not as bad place as all think...pay it is what it is you know it before you come to interview....good people and great experience for your future job

paokara
22nd Apr 2011, 00:39
Dear Immigrant

whatever floats your boat....

Schickfuss
10th May 2011, 01:39
A good frriend in Copa told me the latest news from HR ...they will stop the hiring of FOs ,specially those with little experience ,they will hired FOs that could be upgrade easily and in a short time ...sounds good for all those FOs looking for a left seat ...for the others bad luck so if you are applying with 1000 hours in Cessnas ,Pipers do not waste your time they will look now for FOs with more than 2000 in jets specially ...this shows the hurry in CMP to get Captains in a short time .

PILOTHEAD
10th May 2011, 11:52
Can someone pm or send me a contact number or email where can follow up my information that I sent. I am a five year jet captain at a us regional and have been trying to apply there for over a month. Either im not competitive or dont understand why I haven't heard anything back other than the standard computer generated message. Any help would be greatly appreciated

chileno 777
10th May 2011, 20:21
they will look now for FOs with more than 2000 in jets

In that case better to start offering similar T&Cs as middle east carriers, since mins would be almost the same.

capt_j
11th May 2011, 20:11
Are you talking about nuestrohub.com? It's been awhile but I recall it was a bit of a pain. Where exactly did it malfunction?

jmc08
12th May 2011, 01:34
Does anyone know when are they going to call FO?

NZ X man
17th May 2011, 09:06
Everytime I go to the HR site, my laptop freezes up. Sent an email, got a standerd issue spanish/english, thanks for the reume, which I did not send. Could anyone help me with a contact to send a resume, or a contact please/

Three Boeing type ratings, want warmer weather.

Thanks

BossyAussy
19th May 2011, 14:47
Hi, Everybody;

Just found out today, I got the job.

I have been accepted for employment at Copa and will start class very soon. Are there any pilots reading this post that are currently flying the NG for Copa?

I would just like to show up for class well prepared. I have NG systems study materials already. What I need to help me are Copa NG specific items like:

Normal Checklists
Memory Items (boxed items from QRH checklists)
Limitations
Standard Call-outs

I know myself, and memorizing all this stuff is where I need some help by starting BEFORE I get into Ground School and Sim.

When I get to PTY, there is a free dinner in this for anyone who can help. :ok:

capt_j
20th May 2011, 13:07
Would you mind sharing something about your background, the hiring process and how you got the job?

SonnyCrockett
22nd May 2011, 18:33
Anyone have any updates? Latest PTY interviews?

Bump to the top....

Schickfuss
24th May 2011, 14:27
Congratulations ! just to warning you and the others candidates ,if you passed the assestment does not mean you are in .before you get into the classroom you have to past the panamenian atp written and a Pscycological from the panamenian authorities around 600 questions ,also if they do not told you ,you have to pay for it !!! if you fail any of those tests as well the ground school CMP do not mind if you resing your previous job or you left your country .I know it from several friends that they did the hiring process and they told me that some were fired before ground school...so good luck !

SonnyCrockett
24th May 2011, 15:57
The cost of the written is $250 bucks or so? I think the DEC guys take a written and practical during the final checkride.

BossyAussy
24th May 2011, 15:59
Well....

If someone gives me a gouge or even correct study materials a couple of days before the Panamanian ATP written, shouldn't be a problem.

A 600 item psycho test sounds like the MMPI (Minnesota Multi-Phasic is 600 items long). If so, I have had no problem with that the two times I took it in the past.

The T&C document says that all Expats must take a Panamanian Regulations test (open book) while in Ground School AND that all Captains must take an ATP written the FIRST week in Panama ($250 cost). If Copa is serious about filling Captain seats with highly qualified pilots, there will be some help with study materials for the test.

Luckily, risking a $250 test fee is a really small issue for most of us.

As they say "Many a slip 'twixt cup and lip", but worst case scenario is I get a few more days "vacation" in Panama City.

P.S. Time to quit my current job, anyway......... :cool:

B

SonnyCrockett
24th May 2011, 18:24
I believe that this is an OPEN book exam during your first week in PTY. This info is for DEC's not sure again about the F/O's.

Burrito Pilot
30th May 2011, 18:33
Hi Guys:

Sent to Bossy Aussy, but I thought I'd give anyone a try....

I am NOT looking for a job at COPA. At least not for around 10 years or so...

But I am trying to establish a contact there to start a reciprocal jumpseat agreement or Zed Fare use with them. I am currently with a major, but hope one day to commute from or work there. Any idea on a better contact number, such as with David Lindskoog? Alternatively, would you be able to find a contact e-mail for me? They are curiously absent for ZED fare and jumpseat travel.

If so, please feel free to PM me.

Thanks!

Aerodmb
31st May 2011, 02:12
I just got this email from nuestrohub...is this good or just routine for everyone? I applied last November 2010. What is this?

Estimado/a xxxx xxxxxxx, Se está considerando su currículum para una o más vacantes. Utilice los vínculos incluidos en el siguiente sitio para acceder a la página de inicio de solicitantes. Revise su solicitud y proporcione cualquier otro dato que sea necesario. Su ID de usuario es xxxxxxxxxx y la contraseña es xxxxxxx. Para obtener más información sobre otras posiciones disponibles en nuestra empresa, vaya al vínculo Consulta Ofertas Empleo, ubicado también en este sitio. http://www.copaair.com/Sites/CC/es/Acerca-de-Copa-Airlines...Gracias por su tiempo.

inmigrante
31st May 2011, 02:26
They are evaluating your Cv, and request an update, if necesary.
Good luck

Aerodmb
31st May 2011, 02:32
I appreciate that...thank you.

delsur
31st May 2011, 02:48
bossyAussie

i wouldnt quit any job for copa!!! you ll see when you get here. they ll make you a slave.

anyways the atp from panama, the test is from USA ATP, they used ASSA's book

Aerodmb
31st May 2011, 04:13
Have you flown for a U.S. regional? On par with being treated like a slave.

casablanca
1st Jun 2011, 13:03
Can anybody give some examples of what a normal trip or schedule might be?
Wondering if most of the flying was 3-4 day trips or how long the overnights were?
Thanks

capt_j
6th Jun 2011, 23:21
I'm baffled by it now. I think I got an application in OK last fall. I went back to add some reference letters and it looks a lot different than I remembered. It only lets you ad one reference letter in each category, and you can't view your application.

I did a job search, but when you find "pilot" it tells you to email your stuff. So I did, again.

Anybody getting calls or interviews recently?

Harmattan96
7th Jun 2011, 10:41
I have had the fun experience to try and open an account on Nuestro Hub about 2 dozen times now....to no avail.
I have sent the documents and application they wanted via their e-mail address as a last resort (they don't read their mail apparently, I don't get a return receipt, a month and a half and counting).
I blow their minimums by a large margin and it seems that I just can't get the exposure or the attention of their HR dept. Is there anyone at Copa at this time that knows how to apply and have someone read your resume. I find it baffling that they are looking for qualified people desperately, and I don't get an inquiery.
Amigos pilotos, any suggestion is welcome at this point.

Immigrant
8th Jun 2011, 14:26
I have had the fun experience to try and open an account on Nuestro Hub

You will have more fun when you get here and start flying on 6-1 schedule over 90 hrs every month and getting in your pocket just around 6500$ for this.

Real fun is ahead of you... :ok:

capt_j
11th Jun 2011, 00:02
They would be better staffed if it wasn't so hard to apply :D

ElAl
12th Jun 2011, 01:55
Does anyone knows when they will open the next course?

BossyAussy
14th Jun 2011, 15:47
Has anyone heard about a TRAINING BOND at Copa? Someone who works there told me that even CURRENT & QUALIFIED NG CAPTAINS are being asked to sign a bond for over $18,000 to guarantee they stay for 3 years.

It seems unbelievable, but can anyone verify or definitely deny this ?

B :sad:

jackcarls0n
14th Jun 2011, 17:48
Just got a mail from the COPA site saying the email address they asked to send the resume/CV is closed and apply online.

However, the site https://www.nuestrohub.com/ is in spanish.

Does anyone know how to get that changed to english? or is there a seperate link to this?

Please advise thanks

paokara
14th Jun 2011, 18:15

its true

SouthSeasFlyer
14th Jun 2011, 20:02
I got the same message this morning. I went on their site and finished my app.

Does anyone know what the recent payscales are there?

Immigrant
14th Jun 2011, 21:06
Does anyone know what the recent payscales are there?

Hasn't changed for the last 4 years. :cool:

SouthSeasFlyer
14th Jun 2011, 22:10
What were they 4 years ago?

Immigrant
15th Jun 2011, 00:08
Was covered here not once.....just make a little effort ...:ok:

SouthSeasFlyer
15th Jun 2011, 00:51
Wow... you have been so helpful.

delsur
15th Jun 2011, 03:10
SouthSeasFlyer, just so you know thats the attitude in Copa, just like inmigrant, and that goes from the cleaning crew all the way up to management.

by the way capt. are making about 5500 for 63 hours.

take care.

capt_j
15th Jun 2011, 07:06
If you go to copaair.com and click on "work with us" you should get English, or if you get the Spanish page there should be a link for "ingles". That doesn't mean it works, it just means there should be a link. It's a real pain to use.

Immigrant
15th Jun 2011, 14:28
Couldn't imagine that exist so dam lazy searchers for the job
just TWO clicks of a mouse to page 5..... amassing :oh:

http://www.pprune.org/caribbean-latin-america/407995-copa-2010-a-5.html#post6397124

 Productivity - $200.00

jackcarls0n
15th Jun 2011, 18:42
Yes, I tried that. But the forms always ends up coming in Spanish. No option to change the language option while in the form sections.

bugv2
28th Jun 2011, 18:45
about to apply @ Copa as a street CA. Sounds like a mixed bag. Any expats commuting from US? I think someone said you only get 7-10 days off a month. Anyone? :confused:

TOFFAIR
29th Jun 2011, 16:09
I think you should check your expectations, comuting, part-time, flightrequest are among other words companies in Latin America as a general, it seems, refuse to apply.

No VMO
2nd Jul 2011, 03:32
Ok, I just returned from Panama
What they don't tell you is that there is an 18k training bond you have to sign for 3 years. Also, the pay is very very low $3800/mo (Capt. pay subject to a 23-24% Panamanian tax rate), $1080 per Diem a month (non-taxable) and $800 per month housing allowance for 2 years (non-taxable). There is supposed to be a new contract negotiation starting in Sept because they are losing so many experienced Captains. They are not hiring FOs at this point. The average FO is 21-25 years old and very inexperienced.

It is a non-commuting job. You are guaranteed 5 days off a month and they are not consecutive. They also will NOT allow you to ride the jumpseat on any Copa flight without permission from the fleet manager (the Capt has NO SAY). And of course, with such a policy, there is no JS agreements with any other carriers.

Everyone in the country speaks spanish, so if you don't you will have a difficult time. Very nice people and we were treated well, but had long waits to go through the interview process. On the morning of the actual interview, we (3 of us) arrived at 9 am and did not talk to anyone until 3 pm.

Just want anyone thinking of interviewing there to go with their eyes wide open.

NinjaStar
2nd Jul 2011, 17:42
This is pretty accurate :ok:

capt_j
2nd Jul 2011, 21:17
And yet they want to hire experienced 737 captains, who could make at least three times as much in China.

ElAl
3rd Jul 2011, 02:09
NO VMO

Thanks a lot for the Info!
Do you know when they gonna hire FO's again? Or other info about FO's..

Thanks Again

No VMO
4th Jul 2011, 00:24
In talking to some of the FOs there they say that they are hardly flying because they have too many of them. They need experienced Captains badly and are trying to upgrade those that are upgradable but there are not too many with the qualifications.

The young woman who flew support for our sim ride did a great job, but was about 24 and had only been with Copa for 2 years. She said she still had a couple more years before she could upgrade. She was from Spain.

I wouldnt look for FO hiring at Copa for at least until the first quarter of next year...

Blohm
5th Jul 2011, 15:11
Hello No VMO,

thanks for the info. Forwarded a private message. Good luck, cheers, Blohm.

bugv2
12th Jul 2011, 05:37
Thanks for the reality check NoVmo! :eek:

mingocr83
14th Jul 2011, 15:34
COPA looking for Captains again.

Requirements for applying for the Captain position (http://www.copaair.com/sites/cc/en/acerca-de-copa-airlines/pages/recursos-humanos-capitan.aspx)

Panama Jack
19th Jul 2011, 10:44
Looks like COPA recently reduced its PIC requirements from 1500 in Transport Category jets to 1000 hours for Captain applicants. Anybody want to wager when/if it will drop to 500 PIC?

Immigrant
19th Jul 2011, 14:30
As far as i remember it was for long ..long.....long time 1000 PIC

dcoded
28th Jul 2011, 19:01
Hm.. Can somebody please help me out here. I just got an email from Copa airlines. And as far as I understand I have been selected for an assessment. The email consist of 2 forwarded messages. I tried to translate with google but that did not get me far. Are there any spanish speaking people how might help me shed some light over this email?

Also, I applied as FO. And no, I don't speak any spanish at all. (I'm a swede) So maybe its not even worth for me going to the assessment..Is it all in spanish?

Out take from the mail:

Buenas tardes,

Agradeciendo su interés en participar de nuestro proceso de reclutamiento para Primero Oficiales le solicitamos que de ser positiva o no su participación del llamado nos lo haga saber.

Cualquier consulta adicional a la orden,

Saludos,

--------------------

Buenas tardes,

Por este medio quisiera comunicarles que estamos iniciando nuestro proceso de Reclutamiento de Primero Oficiales por lo que le invitamos a realizar la prueba de Conocimientos Generales que se llevara a cabo el día 8 de Agosto de 2011 a la 2:00 en el Auditorio de las oficinas de Copa Airlines en Costa del Este.

Se le agradece puntualidad ya que la evaluación iniciara a la 14:00 en punto. Aquellas personas que no estén dentro de la sala a la hora señalada perderán la oportunidad de tomar el examen.

Para trabajar en la prueba deberá traer consigo:
· Lápiz / pluma
· Borrador
· Calculadora sencilla (no se permite uso de celulares)

Adjunto encontrara la guía de estudio.

Favor enviar correo de confirmación.

Que tenga buen día.

Thanks!

dcoded
28th Jul 2011, 21:46
My experience: None!.. Out of flight school. Although I am newly rated on the 737 Classic!

I wonder if they might have missed that out? To tell you the truth I am a little suprised that they called me. I will have to decide if I will go over there or not..

Thanks!

Immigrant
29th Jul 2011, 13:57
2dcoded

We do have SOME FO's with 0 Spanish

With your experience,it might be worth a try :ok:

dcoded
29th Jul 2011, 15:12
Immigrant: Thanks.
Just sent you a PM with some questions. Hope that is OK.

Thanks again! :)

7Q Off
1st Aug 2011, 01:07
Pay for captain is really bad. Even for south american standards. Even In argentina I earn more US bucks as an NG captains than my collegues of COPA.

dcoded
1st Aug 2011, 20:25
The HR lady has not responded to my pleed to push my assessment date forward. Nothing at all from her.

BossyAussy
4th Aug 2011, 19:01
it is standard ops to hear nothing from Copa, they are up to their A*ses in alligators, so they only reply to serious emergencies in a timely manner, get used to it if you plan to pursue the job. They are very nice, very polite and very uncommunicative.

Meathead Pilot
5th Aug 2011, 09:03
I received the same email too. Considering the fact that I live on the other side of the planet plus the general format of the invitation made me ignore it.:}

Immigrant
8th Aug 2011, 23:25
2peteroja

First year Captain....
KEY= Missed approach checklist.....

Are you sure... that was a Copa?? :)

20 Year Cpt salary the same as first year......There are No Missed approach checklist in Copa ;)

captkirk3000
19th Aug 2011, 02:51
Greetings to you all!
I'm searching for information on First Officer position for the B737 with COPA.
I have FAA ATPL with 3200TT, 747 Turbine PIC and 2300 Turbine SIC. I'm currently typed and qualified on B737.
Any ideas on how to apply, get an interview, payscale etc.

capt_j
20th Aug 2011, 03:52
The recruiter told me recently they aren't looking for first officers, only captains. 5000 TT and 1000 PIC in aircraft above 50 seats.

BossyAussy
20th Aug 2011, 05:21
Join "Climb to 350" & apply to the ad there.
They are PRIMARILY recruiting capts but FOs are being hired, too.

SonnyCrockett
20th Aug 2011, 11:18
You are better off avoiding any "recruiter" and going direct with the company. Climbto350.com has a direct link to COPA in Panama.

captkirk3000
21st Aug 2011, 04:28
Thanx for the info guys!
I'm trying to avoid any recruitors and maybe go throu a crew member. Any idea on the pay and schedule?

Jetsitter
21st Aug 2011, 21:39
Just want anyone thinking of interviewing there to go with their eyes wide open.

And yet they want to hire experienced 737 captains, who could make at least three times as much in China.

Both very accurate statements.
Thank you.

Anyone that is authorized to work in the US and currently meets COPA
DEC requirements, could apply to any Major / National carrier.
All these US based companies are by far more desirable for someone that lives in the US.
I respect pilots specific circumstances.
However, I cannot help to be curious as to why anyone would venture to COPA?
My question is by no means condescending to Panama or COPA.
Just interested in why an experienced pilot, with 1000 Jet PIC would move to Panama City,
to fly for COPA for a minimum of three years? ($18K training bond)

Maybe I am missing something.
Thank you in advance for your responses.

paokara
22nd Aug 2011, 18:44
you are missing something?

opinions are like ass--- and you have one as well

Jetsitter
22nd Aug 2011, 20:51
I respect pilots specific circumstances.

My question is by no means condescending to Panama or COPA.

You may have misread this?
I have no opinion...
It is an honest inquiry not meaning to offend.:ok:

capt_j
23rd Aug 2011, 04:55
The job market is very bad. There are very few jobs available. A low-paying job is better than no job.

Jetsitter
23rd Aug 2011, 17:23
Appreciate that answer.
Thank you. :)
I have been there and fully agree.
QOL vs $$$ is a personal choice.
Having considered COPA, I was looking for some info on what I was missing.
Honestly hope they will not be able to recruit with the current terms, and consider sweetening up the deal...
Same with India, China, Japan, Turkey etc.
Living in Panama, may be desirable.
Considering the location and lifestyle.
That is if one can move there full time.

Good luck. Thanks for all the input.

The Dominican
23rd Aug 2011, 21:36
The job market is very bad. There are very few jobs available. A low-paying job is better than no job.
You evidently haven't done your research, there are more jobs now on the international market than there have ever been. The T&C's at copa are pathetic, you can make double the money flying a turbo prop:=

The Dominican
23rd Aug 2011, 21:44
Living in Panama, may be desirable.
Considering the location and lifestyle.
That is if one can move there full time.

If you go to Panama thinking that you will find a low cost of living, you are in for a rude awakening. Panama is not cheap by any means and the QOL at COPA is bad with constant changes to your roster and very few days off a month. You might want to take a look at LAN, the pay is only a little better (still sucks) but the company is a LOT better to work at

SonnyCrockett
24th Aug 2011, 01:49
Seems to be a lot of ex-pat pilots from USAir, SWA, Delta, United, happy with COPA. Could be the latin culture, the nice beaches and warm weather?

Everybody has to take his/her personal situation and see if they can manage. The last few classes have been some RJ drivers with ZERO Boeing time, they might be looking for the Type and the chance to get some Left Seat Boeing time? Who knows what motivates these people?

I also heard that they have a TON of applicants from CHINA, INDIA, and the Sandpit looking to get a slot in COPA--so there must be more to the story?

NO MAJOR is hiring right now in the USA.

Seems to me that a few of the "nay sayers" on this board might have some spilt milk syndrome as they were turned down by COPA.

capt_j
24th Aug 2011, 16:30
>>there are more jobs now on the international market than there have ever been.<<

If you have certain kinds of experience, yes. If you have 500 hours in a glass cockpit airliner there are lots of jobs. If you don't it is a different matter.

The Dominican
24th Aug 2011, 23:59
I understand the logic of F/O's using it as a stepping stone (hence the high attrition) but I just cannot wrap my brain around somebody who qualifies for DEC at copa (thus qualifying at many other places) would fly a 737 for less than I was making flying a CRJ at a ****ty regional 10 years ago, with less days off to boot. In this business there are bad times followed by not so bad times, if the barrel is empty then you scrape the bottom, but there are some goodies in the barrel now a days. I guess that is why we say that we are well trained monkeys, we love working for peanuts.

Well, sorry if anybody got their feelings hurt because I pointed out that there are options. Good luck

NZ X man
27th Aug 2011, 15:57
Yes there are always options, you could go to work for a mining company in Australia, make 125,000 Aussie dollars a year, go brain dead and work with the dumbest SOB's you ever met. Take a sixty year old pilot, he is not getting the offers that he used to, highly experienced, glass cockpit time, doesn't matter, 60 year olds are not getting the offers that a younger pilot will. China, for example, even KSA, are not going to hire a sixty year old pilot for an airline, India yes, but thats India, been there, done that. Along comes Copa, where many pilots who retired early or hit 60 before they changed the rules, can still fly until they are 65. Warm beaches, nice equipment, and they want you to work for them. Perhaps there comes a time where,"chasing the money" as opposed to doing what you enjoy doing , is no longer important. Get out of flying for a length of time, lets say two years, and believe me when you walk back towards it, you start to feel alive again. Copa is what it is, offers a job to some of us who are not getting calls anymore, and If your idea is to fly, then all the stuff that goes with it, much of which you already know from the numerous aviation threads and the internet, is all part and parcel of the position. So you see, for some of us, the decision is not that hard.

Foot Note, that mining stuff, that is based upon personal experience.

Also the three year bond, is not valid, and most of the pilots are not signing it and are still be offered the job and working there. This info comes from the States side HR person who has clarified that. The Panamanian HR person initiated this, and apparently was reemed for it.

Jetsitter
27th Aug 2011, 16:17
OUTSTANDING POST !!! :)

:D :ok:

The Dominican
28th Aug 2011, 01:03
So people at the dawn of their careers with few options and people at the twilight of their careers with fewer options are the ones who would give this any thought, ok got it. For everybody in the middle of those two demographics, here is what of one of their current pilots posted on another site

First off Copa has changed alot since new management. QOL is a big issue now, and of course pay is thin. Main issues expats have with the company are:

1-Pay
2-Pay
3-Pay
4-Breach of contracts
5-Days off requests
6-Jumpseats
7-Family tickets
8-Removal of Housing Allowance
9-Routes and duty times
10-Fuel issues
11-"Culture of Fear" issues
12-Lack of interest towards employee's needs and wants
13-License fees out-of-pocket
14-Scheduling

Basically the list goes on and on....

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on a raise much less benefits.

BossyAussy
7th Sep 2011, 01:24
1,2,3 = About $6000 net for 80 hours
4 = I don't have any experience with that
5 = You can ask for 2 dates off each month, good luck to get them
6 = Doesn't exist, no jumpseat on Copa or anyone else, obviously
7 = A root canal is less painful than getting a pass for family on Copa
8 = $600 net housing allowance goes away after 24 mos.
9 = no comment
10 = NOT ENOUGH on super-long legs like Montevideo-Panama, an accident is imminent
11 = I have NO FEAR of mgmt
12 = Employee needs & wants, what is that ??
13 = huh ?
14 = All flying is ASSIGNED

Immigrant
7th Sep 2011, 20:44
If you want to know what modern slavery is – come and enjoy :D

CAP B767
30th Sep 2011, 00:07
If COPA going to raise pilots salaries?
I think, COPA and LAN have to raise the salaries or pilots are going to leave to the middle, and far east.
A FAIR SALARY FOR A CAPTAIN HAVE TO BE BETWEEN 8000US and 8500US.
The union have to be tough with negotiation .

The Dominican
30th Sep 2011, 07:13
A FAIR SALARY FOR A CO-Pilot HAVE TO BE BETWEEN 8000US and 8500US.

I went ahead and fixed your post for you, I'm sure this is what you wanted to say:ok:

NZ X man
5th Oct 2011, 21:48
According to the HR person for Copa who resides in Houston, she is not renewing here contract, she advised me. She says that somebody is putting adds in CLimbto350, different from her ads, she has NO October interviews, and their are approximately 34 guys who are waiting to hear either Yea or Nay about the job. She has not heard from one of the interviewing personnel for over two weeks. Copa was targeting non-typed rated regional jet guys, one of which I know is in training now, and one who was interviewing with me who got a "NO Thanks", which I find strange, considering they are desperate for pilots. This individual had all the creditably except for the 737 type. So for an airline that is desperate for crew they are not organised on getting the interviewed and accepted people into training. I think under those circumstances, a few aviaiors will lose interest and look elsewhere. Seems to be the ever changing aviation industry, mixed with some un-organised office staff is slowing things down at the moment

My 2cents

Cheers

Immigrant
8th Oct 2011, 14:28
"NO Thanks", which I find strange, considering they are desperate for pilots

Next month will be a NEW salary...count from it 2-3 month and then you will see what is REAL Desperation....Lots of opening on th horizon ;)

NZ X man
8th Oct 2011, 20:46
Immigrant

Keep us posted please

Cheers

paokara
13th Oct 2011, 20:21
FYI
I was told by my friends who flying there,

Copa hires 40 percent of the direct entry captain applicants with an average of more than 10000 hrs

NZ X man
14th Oct 2011, 00:35
Well based on my test results, they did not offer me a position, thought I did well on those. Guess you never know, do you.

Cheers

The Dominican
14th Oct 2011, 08:57
@ NZ X man

My recommendation would be to apply to some of the work out here in SE Asia, I know there is an age limit but apply anyway and see what happens, I just had a couple of friends hired as DEC's on B737's with no type or time on the A/C into a job that had a minimum of 500 hours for DEC's posted. The situation is getting pretty tight in the international market and they are starting to bend their rules, who knows if they would bend the age limit, after all they can get 5 more productive years from you. Start filling applications, who knows?

Good luck

Blohm
14th Oct 2011, 11:21
..we had contact before regarding the Haitian accident. Sorry, mistook the event for another. So no news on that. Regarding the NTR jobs in the Far East on the 737, I am really interested. Have a lot of Boeing time, including command. No 737 type however. Can you pm me about the companies offering those positions please. Tried for a while, no luck so far. Thx, Blohm.

NZ X man
14th Oct 2011, 20:22
yes I would appreciate a PM with some contacts also. Seems the other two Americans I interviewed with were not qualified also, according to Copa, one a 757 captain, the other a CR-700 Captain.

7Q Off
15th Oct 2011, 04:55
Any news about the new salary?

Immigrant
15th Oct 2011, 13:53
Waiting for November...:confused: :O

So Sorry for you NZ X man. I am sure in present climate you still will have your chance and might be even in better place :ok:

NZ X man
15th Oct 2011, 19:57
Immigrant
Hay thankl and your right, was not meant to be, and I actually always thought it might not be the place to finish up.

All the best
X man

babisiliop
16th Oct 2011, 06:54
Could any one tell me,how many captains Copa has already found for the
Nov training class?

babisiliop
17th Oct 2011, 06:30
I guess there are some guys who know what is going on in Copa from inside.So I want to ask them,whether they know to tell me,if there are
interviews in Oct or Nov and how many captains has Copa found for
the Nov training class or not.

babisiliop
19th Oct 2011, 06:26
NZ X man

Did you get a clear answer from Copa "No Thanks" or you gathered that?

NZ X man
19th Oct 2011, 18:19
Clear answer, no thanks. along with two other pilots I interviewed with.

babisiliop
19th Oct 2011, 19:40
NZ X man

Do you know by any chance how many captains has Copa found for the
Nov training class?

NZ X man
19th Oct 2011, 21:02
No Idea, according to the HR person I have been talking to throughout this process, she had NO interviews booked in October, her words. I suggest you attempt to contact their HR person, whomever that might be NOW, for your inquires or perhaps, someone will have some more info with the latest greatest.
Cheers

babisiliop
20th Oct 2011, 13:34
Immigrant

Do you know how many captains Copa finally found for the Nov training
class?

Immigrant
20th Oct 2011, 15:21
babisiliop

Sorry i don't :confused:
But way this obsession with Nov? There are continues plan of delivery up to 2017, next year I believe coming around 12 airplanes.

tania17
24th Oct 2011, 04:34
if you have more than 1000 pic in any jet more than 50pax they wil l give u an interview.base salary for captains 3800 plus per diem plus 800 for living expenses. you will take home at least 4500. good cash for panama . but you only get 7 days off a month.

babisiliop
24th Oct 2011, 06:31
Tania17

No matter who you are,no matter how many hours you have,no matter whether you are type-rated or not,they get the less experienced as well as the non-rated.They are afraid of loosing them efter a sort period.
So if you have the minimum requirements that they are asking for, you will get a job proposal.

NZ X man
24th Oct 2011, 08:16
No matter who you are,no matter how many hours you have,no matter whether you are type-rated or not,they get the less experienced as well as the non-rated.They are afraid of loosing them efter a sort period.
So if you have the minimum requirements that they are asking for, you will get a job proposal.

I am not sure that this statement is completely correct. Could be some politics involved also.

babisiliop
24th Oct 2011, 10:42
What else an ordinary experienced captain can think of,by not getting hired by a company which says that, it gets the most experienced as well as the most qualified captains?

peteroja
28th Oct 2011, 19:34
If you pass the COPA assestment you will be hired. The simulator and your references are very important. COPA have had pilots that did well but could not produce references from previous employers, and there have been pilots that wrote thier own letters and got caught doing so.

As for pay there are some rumors but I have not seen anything yet, once I see my check I belive it.

Work for COPA is like any onther airline except SPANISH, it helps if you speak it. Panama aviation Law written test is in Spanish.

Indoc is to long, Systems class is to long but it is how this are done here in Panama, you can't change it you just deal with it.

Overall I am ok with this place.

babisiliop
29th Oct 2011, 13:11
You are right up to a point.If a candidate thinks that did everything O.K
and didn't get a proposal,if he asks for the reason of not been hired,nobody is gone give him an explanation,regarding his failure.
As far as references,they don't always say the truth.
References should be at the bottom line of the requirements and to be used, if needed.
As long as you have done everything else correct,references don't count.A pilot is checked on the sim and secondly in the tests.

peteroja
29th Oct 2011, 20:42
No employer will tell you why you did not get hired. That is a given, 2nd it is not a pass fail thing, it is a FIT or do NOT FIT. You have to fit employers profile. Some do some don't. As far as for the references, it would be foolish of a candidate to fabricate a reference letter or provide a reference that will not speak highly of you.

You can interview for Southwest and get a rejection letter, that does not mean that you failed, you just did not fit. I have friends that received rejection letters from Continental and got hired by Delta. Part of being succesful during an inteview is to prepare your self for the interview and know in advance what type of profile they are looking for.You need to tailor your answers to fit the prospective employers need.

babisiliop
29th Oct 2011, 22:21
You are right as long as you have company's profile at the begining,you may prepare your self for the interview and at the end of the day you find out yourself whether you fit company's profile or not.It should be that way.
As far as Copa, doesn't give any clue regarding what they are looking for.
So you go there, you try to do your best and at the end you get a rejection.

fraper
30th Oct 2011, 01:34
does someone Know if the psychotecnical is in english or spanish?

thanks

babisiliop
30th Oct 2011, 07:37
It is in English

fraper
30th Oct 2011, 21:54
Ok thanks for your reply

babisiliop
1st Nov 2011, 13:50
Any news about interviews in Nov and Dec?

capt_j
1st Nov 2011, 18:25
Does anybody know how to work this infernal thing? I went to a job fair and they told me to apply here. I have an old application in and I would like to update some things, but I can't figure how to do it without submitting a new application. If you try to go past the first page it tells you "this candidate already exists."

DHC6to8
2nd Nov 2011, 10:17
I have gone through all the threads on COPA, but I wanted to ask somebody here what exactly is the "psychotecnical" test and what publication would be good to study beforehand for the Captain ATPL exam? I am supposed to be heading over soon for the DEC interview. Also, how does COPA assign the machines? Is it random, or can you choose? Do all pilots have to live in Panama city, or are there some other areas where you can live that are not too far from the airport? I was told that after the interview/test/sim are done I will be taken and shown different areas to live, but I have no idea where a good area or community is. Any help or suggestions appreciated. My wife and kid will be joining me, so I am sure they will want to see our potentially new home. Also, for the non typed guys who are accepted for DEC, do you start from day one in teh left seat, or do they want to fly you for a few months in the right seat? I have seen this at other carriers, so I thought I would ask.
Thanks again
6to8

capt_j
2nd Nov 2011, 14:35
How did you apply? Through the website? I assume from your post you are a PIC on some other transport aircraft?

DHC6to8
2nd Nov 2011, 15:31
Hi, I applied via the website and a few days later
I got the email plus another email at a later date with the interview
data and details. Hope that helps...
Can anybody help answer my questions above? Yes, I have considerable command time (well over 10000hrs on large transports), plus an excellent expatriate resume with solid references. I know that they have already been contacted.
Thanks
6to8

Bukkake
3rd Nov 2011, 07:15
OK, I'll help.

1) Copa is NOT going to drive you all over town to look for a place to live. LOL

2) You will be in the left seat immediately, unless you are a fuk up and then they will probably just fire you.

3) You can live wherever you like within a 25 mile radius or something like that.

4) There's no way to study for the tests. They are all very easy and nothing to worry about. I'm not just being cliche here, you will do fine!

The interview is very laid back. I mean VERY laid back. They make you feel very welcomed and wanted. Now when you start training...well that's another story.

Good luck and "Welcome to Copa"

fraper
5th Nov 2011, 18:44
Hi,

Does someone know, if COPA take charge of the airticket for a first interview and test (F/O) in Panama? Also are the selected pilots for initial training being paid? and how many?

Thanks for your reply:confused:

DHC6to8
7th Nov 2011, 10:32
COPA told me that the interview is on my dollar and when I travell to Panama
To begin training they will reimburse me. Can somebody please tell me how they assign aircraft types?? I have no idea if I will gwt the Ejet or B737. Thanks
6to8

NZ X man
7th Nov 2011, 17:59
DHC6to8
I had an interview late August, Nobody I interviewed with paid for their air fare to Panama, so perhaps you should consider that mate.

GoForIt
8th Nov 2011, 00:33
DHC6to8
I had an interview late August, Nobody I interviewed with paid for their air fare to Panama, so perhaps you should consider that mate.

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that COPA did pay for the air fare to Panama. Is that correct?

NZ X man
8th Nov 2011, 02:16
That is Correct.

babisiliop
8th Nov 2011, 07:10
Have you applied to somewhere else for B-737 job?

DHC6to8
8th Nov 2011, 08:14
I meant to say that when I come for the interview (I will be flying COPA on the last leg to Panama and the first leg out of Panama) and that when I begin training, I need to submit my ticket costs and they will reimburse me at that time, not earlier.
I am not really all that concerned if I don't see the costs for the two other legs, it is not going to be that much.
Now, can somebody who knows how the aircraft selection works, please let me know how COPA assigns the aircraft type to non type rated pilots? Is it random, or does everybody get to choose the type?
Cheers
6to8

NZ X man
8th Nov 2011, 20:10
The last I heard they were recruiting for the 737's, yet we did the sim in the 190.

peteroja
13th Nov 2011, 16:56
COPA's interview process is based on a European Pilot assessment, you can find it online, nothing you can prepare for. It is a basic pilot knowledge and intelligence test. This is a Pass/Fail, next you have an interview, COPA is looking for Captains that will be able to handle low time F/O's, also you need to demonstrate the ability to mentor a F/O to become a Captain. You have to be able to fit in with the Latin community, and be willing to learn Spanish. Although English is the recognized aviation language Spanish is a Must, if you do not know it you must show that you are eager to learn. You can not expect US training tempo, it is slow here, but that is just how it is. The Sim check is not completely about demonstrating you skill as a pilot, it is also about how you interact in the cockpit. COPA is big on briefings.

CAP B767
21st Nov 2011, 22:45
What is the real numbers for a Captain in COPA?:*

ElJeke
23rd Nov 2011, 05:10
Are They hiring foreign first officers???

bugv2
23rd Nov 2011, 05:14
Talked to a CM capt. in MIA last week, and he told me there are pilots commuting back & forth from the U.S. Any of you guys on the inside wanna weigh in on the veracity/feasibility of this?

I live in the central U.S. and have successfully commuted back and forth to Hawaii (3400 NM) in the past, but that was using CASS and JS agreements. Days off aside, how hard is it to ride on CAL as a CM employee/U.S citizen?

Bukkake
23rd Nov 2011, 17:58
It's theoretically possible to do commute to the US, but with only 7 days off per month, what's the point?

The only guys commuting to the States regularly are the gummers that were forced to retire from Southwest before age 65 kicked in. They have a 2 week ON, 2 week OFF type deal going on, but you will not get the same deal.

Good luck.

viceo
1st Dec 2011, 16:43
Does anyone know which version of Sketest is COPA using for their general aviation exams???

bugv2
13th Dec 2011, 03:02
How do CM pilots travel back & forth to US without CASS or codeshares?

Bukkake
13th Dec 2011, 21:17
We fly to the US on Copa or Continental.

bugv2
15th Dec 2011, 00:37
I've been told you can only jumpseat on CM with special authorization from the fleet manager, or using your ONE yearly pass. Is that accurate?

How do you guys ride on CO, just show up and show your ID to jumpseat, or do you have to purchase ID90 travel? Thanx for the info!

Gusz
15th Dec 2011, 00:45
Probably some guys are ex-continental, and have travel benefits for life depending on years of service.... Who knows.....

bugv2
15th Dec 2011, 00:51
Anybody know how much throw-away/pre-paid mobile phones cost in PTY? I'm coming down there soon, but I'm afraid VZN will gouge me if I use their international service on my US cell phone. :eek:

Bukkake
16th Dec 2011, 18:43
You can get a cheap phone here for around $30. But, you can also just remove your sim card from your US phone and get a Pamama sim. Calling the US is very cheap using a prepaid sim. I have Skype but never use it to call home because it's actually cheaper using my local Pamama sim (C&W aka MasMovil).

If you live in a city Copa serves, you have to pay the taxes to travel to the US from Panama. You can also just jumpseat on Copa and avoid the taxes, but this requires you get approval 48 hours in advance. Continental will let you jumpseat, but taxes have to be paid.

Good Luck

corporate spy
17th Dec 2011, 02:14
From a reliable sourse within Boeing, Copa is buying 10 B787 First delivery late 2015.:=

Bukkake
17th Dec 2011, 17:37
http://www.godlikeproductions.com/sm/bsflag.gif

http://www.bwcitypaper.com/editorial/2006-01-26/Dead3NIPSEY-RUSSELL-RT.jpg Rightttttttttt.

SonnyCrockett
25th Dec 2011, 20:24
Keep dangling that 787 Carrot.....it will not happen!

Just like the "PAY RAISE" right around the corner!

COPA pay is low,and TAXED to DEATH will all kinds of hidden fee's and if you ask for a breakdown of your check--they get all upset with you?? and if you are not born and raised in Panama expect second class treatment. My class had some of the biggest LOSERS in it from the USA. It doesn't take much to get hired, in fact they hired people that should have been showed the door at the interview--but when you are desperate you take anyone you can get. For example guys with no real heavy jet time....just some "made up" ferry time in a B737 for a training company (just and example) or no Boeing time what so ever just RJ time.....! Good luck learning how to fly around South America when all your background is radar vectors to ILS 32R ORD. Fun time!

Countless buddies who are still at COPA are just getting the 500 hours and bolting for a job in China.

I have some really good friends still down there, and NOT all the guys from the USA are losers--but a good number were FIRED from jobs in the USA or had such PATHETIC training records they can only get hired at COPA since there is no PRIA checks. ( I personally know of two of them and lied on the application) The HR department just needs warm bodies to fill seats--and with the 2nd Sim up and running if they lose a few after a couple of months well no problem we will hire more replacements!

Sad state of affairs.....

Too bad really it could have been a great place to work--with some more pay and realistic days off (like 12-14 off) and not the BS 6 off crap--which they NEVER tell you about in the interview or training. Oh-and the fun of riding around on the "free shuttle" to the airport--like 3 extra hours picking up god knows who around town for your 0700 show! so you are picked up at 0400 and spend your first few hours touring the dirty city of Panama, with the reverse is true when you finish your trip.

Habanos made it barely worth it......:}

The Dominican
26th Dec 2011, 00:40
What happened Sonny? You used to be such a defendor of Copa:confused:
The honeymoon over? :}

SonnyCrockett
26th Dec 2011, 02:10
Sometimes you just gotta see it for yourself............

paokara
29th Dec 2011, 15:50
Did you get fired?

Bukkake
31st Dec 2011, 00:32
Me gusta Habano's!

SonnyCrockett
1st Jan 2012, 01:43
...Fired?

LOL!

I packed my stuff and went home. No I was not "fired" I decided that my fun meter was pegged and it was not my cup of tea--I am worth more than what the T/C that COPA offers.

I had TWO excellent fall back gigs...$$$$$ I had fun in PTY made a lot of great friends, and learned a lot about ex-pat gigs.

I have a nice new 737NG Type, a plastic Panama Pilot certificate all for my scrap book. I wasn't down there to get 500 PIC and fly in China--I have a job in the good old USA.

Fly Safe....

PILOTHEAD
2nd Jan 2012, 01:23
You back in the states at Continental? Someone will be missed in Habanos hehe.

SonnyCrockett
2nd Jan 2012, 14:18
Yeah I am back in the ol' USA!

I have a few emails from my "Chica" friends....I tell them not to worry as PAPI will be back on a few PTY overnights soon enough.

Guys--let me point out that this was my summer gig. I just want all to know if you go down there KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN.....maybe WIDE OPEN. Have a good sound backup plan.

I gave COPA the chance to make good on several "key" issues that I was having, I waited 30 days, then the choice was made and I split. That is the nature of the business I call it "the ex-pat blues"

In my class of 14 DEC's only 4-5 are still around and out of them 3 of them have NO CHANCE of ever getting hired in the USA or CHINA unless China gets really desperate! That is a 75% of the class quitting!

paokara
2nd Jan 2012, 14:58
flightinternational.com

I think is LAN Colombia is hiring Direct entry A320 captain and thye dont require a type...They will accept a 737NG and Spanish preffered.

Look for it

captkirk3000
4th Jan 2012, 03:20
Does any current COPA pilots know of any recruitment and hiring for B737 FO's for 2012?

PILOTHEAD
5th Jan 2012, 06:38
Sonny I will miss ya at Hooters. Would have made great roommates!

SonnyCrockett
6th Jan 2012, 00:20
Pilothead,

I am in a Mucho better place...TWICE the money, HALF the work!

See ya around pal!

ElAl
6th Jan 2012, 02:59
And where is that? we're curious here... ;)

ElAl
6th Jan 2012, 03:01
can someone answer Captainkirk.........

SonnyCrockett
6th Jan 2012, 12:59
With an endless supply of kids in Panama willing to go in debt (the goberment will fund the flight training and they pay it back) and 250 hours TT they have PLENTY of applicants from the locals.

I doubt any OUTSIDE F/O hiring for some time......JMHO

SonnyCrockett
6th Jan 2012, 12:59
DELTA Airlines! Duh!

prat985
6th Jan 2012, 23:13
If u were fired, you'll never work at Delta....

captkirk3000
7th Jan 2012, 02:43
Thanx ElAl and SonnyCrockett!!!
I'm gonna submit my stuff and see what happens this year!!

PILOTHEAD
11th Jan 2012, 01:51
Thats cool Sonny. Yeah, I dont blame you and my eyes and ears are open once I acquire my 500 pic. This qol and pay is ridiculous along with the 66 percent failure rate from totally competent pilots wtf! Does star alliance know about this. Nobody told me anything about whats going on down here otherwise i would not have quit my previous gig to play job roulette!