PDA

View Full Version : TV - Sound on vision

frostbite
5th Mar 2010, 21:37
I've had an LCD set for a few months and every so often, on any channel, I get sound on vision where horizontal bands strobe across the screen in line with the sound.

What I can't remember is, is this an electronic fault or is it a tuning related problem?

Loose rivets
6th Mar 2010, 03:33
My goodness! Sound on Vision. That takes me back a while...50 years in fact. No point in telling you which valve to replace.:uhoh:

Now, one wonders if the power to a video circuit is being dipped by the demands of the audio system. First thing to ascertain is if the visual effects are proportional to the volume control setting.

If it is, I wouldn't have a bl:mad:y clue as to what is causing the problem.

If it isn't, I wouldn't have a bl:mad:y clue as to what is causing the problem.

green granite
6th Mar 2010, 06:52
As LR says, that takes one back a few years. other alternative is that it needs re-alignment in the video section. Either way it's probably a replacement job, hope it's still under warranty

Basil
6th Mar 2010, 11:41
Just to confirm: are you running the set as stand alone using its own internal tuner and not taking the feed from a PVR, set top terrestrial, satellite or cable box?
I'd a problem, solved by altering the set-top box output format.

frostbite
6th Mar 2010, 11:52
Running direct from the aerial is this one.

Does sound like a trip to Makro, once I've found the receipt. Although it does have a good picture, it's also rather tempremental at accepting input from the remote (about 3 ft away), so it might be a good time to get rid of it.

Would that be an OC91 you're thinking of, LR?

frostbite
7th Mar 2010, 19:56
Decided to return the set (to Makro) and found that according to their invoice, after 28 days 'no quibble return' they offer a manufacturer's support service where the customer is supposed to get in touch with the manufacturer, (presumably) return the item to them, and wait.

I bought the set almost exactly six months ago but I don't fancy all the hassle that last is likely to cause so, am I not right in thinking that my 'contract' is with Makro, and they have to accept the return of faulty goods in the circumstances?

Sprogget
7th Mar 2010, 21:31
Next time, go to John Lewis & sleep soundly at night.

P.Pilcher
7th Mar 2010, 21:51
Frostbite, your contract is indeed with Makro and they are responsible for honouring your warranty agreement. If a fault develops within six months then they should do something pdq - like giving you an instant refund or replacement. If the six month period is exceeded, but you are still within the warranty period (1 year?), then the supplier must still honour the warranty agreement, but the repair may take longer (i.e. they return it to the manufacturer.) Under these circumstances, you may consider doing this yourself to save time, but in doing so you may absolve Makro from any further responsibility for effecting further warranty repairs.

P.P.

frostbite
8th Mar 2010, 11:43
Thanks for that.

Indeed confirms my suspicion that Makro are simply trying to dodge or divert their obligations.