PDA

View Full Version : Flybe Embraer Incident @ Jersey

OA32
5th Mar 2010, 20:16
Plane pieces fell on runway News This Is Jersey (http://www.thisisjersey.com/2010/03/05/plane-pieces-fell-on-runway/)

The article in the paper stated it as a Flybe aircraft which I know happened to be an Embraer. Happened last week when the a/c departed after dark on a ferry flight, there were approximately 6-7 movements before the debris was discovered which turned out to be large pieces of the engine cowling. The a/c had been worked on by engineers before hand.

BarbiesBoyfriend
6th Mar 2010, 01:35
If correct, it's unusual for a Barbie.

Embraer have thought all this stuff through.

A brilliant piece of design, that's the Barbie!

lomapaseo
6th Mar 2010, 15:25
The issue is not why the pieces fell off. It's why the runway debris went unreported so long.

Knife-Edge
6th Mar 2010, 17:28
The issue is not why the pieces fell off. It's why the runway debris went unreported so long. Today 02:35

Perhaps because they were hiding in the dark.:rolleyes:

AltFlaps
6th Mar 2010, 17:39
I thought you old 146 boys called the CRJ the Barbie jet?

Do you just refer to any modern aircraft as the Barbie jet?

eyeinthesky
6th Mar 2010, 17:57
Happened over a week ago.

The crew didn't notice anything until another aircraft passing them as they taxied in at Birmingham piped up that part of the engine cowling was missing. Tracing back down the route prompted contact with Jersey ATC, who had found part of an unidentified cowling on the runway. Time from departing Jersey to landing in Birmingham must have been what, 40 mins?

But then, why would anyone perform anything other than routine runway inspections if no-one has reported anything untoward? Therefore it's perfectly possible for something to remain undetected in the darkness for some time.

Huck
6th Mar 2010, 20:42
The ERJ is properly known as the Jungle Jet....

OA32
6th Mar 2010, 20:56
lomapaseo

There is an issue as to why the pieces fell off, the a/c had a single system hydraulic failure on the previous flight which resulted in the loss of nose wheel steering. While this in itself is not a huge problem, the engineers did subsequently inspect the a/c and allegedly performed some work on one of the engines...........

Flatspin_Fumble
6th Mar 2010, 21:08
Yup, that's the Barbie for you, (barbiesboyfriend) guess you are looking forward to moving back to simplicity again, as I am towards the end of this year.:ok:

I need another holiday!

FF

K.Whyjelly
6th Mar 2010, 22:14
I also know this aircraft as 'The Sao Paulo Sewer Pipe'

White Knight
6th Mar 2010, 22:40
The ERJ - not CRJ - is a 'barbie jet' because if barbie had a jet it would be that one:ok: At least that's where I heard the name came from some years ago:}

Diamond Bob
7th Mar 2010, 02:42
I searched for "Barbie Jet" and came up with a few references to both ERJs and CRJs. Then, of course there is the real thing:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41mP6Xg90GL._SS400_.jpg

lomapaseo
7th Mar 2010, 03:21
OA32

lomapaseo

There is an issue as to why the pieces fell off, the a/c had a single system hydraulic failure on the previous flight which resulted in the loss of nose wheel steering. While this in itself is not a huge problem, the engineers did subsequently inspect the a/c and allegedly performed some work on one of the engines...........

Well that kind of human error happens and fortunately the aircraft has a degree of tolerance. Adding in the risk of another aircraft taking off striking it is another higher level risk.

So... I have lots of additional questions, but I'll let the NTSB handle it.

fc101
7th Mar 2010, 11:40
The issue is not why the pieces fell off. It's why the runway debris went unreported so long.

Visions of CDG and Concorde ... but that sounds too much like a UK tabloid report.

I guess this will be discussed in any accident/incident report, but what are Jersey's runway inspection procedures? (The most important issue not yet discussed)

Where was the cowling on the runway - to the side, in the grass, in the middle?

How many aircraft departed after the Embraer? (see previous question, suggests that the cowling wasn't in a "dangerous" position).

But even those aside, what about the engineering inspection/supervision, crew inspection before flight? Though I don't think the crew inspection would have changed things here at all unless it was something very obvious and in flight I assume that the missing cowling had no effect (vibrations?)...

Interesting website and article here Debris Danger (http://www.fodnews.com/article022106.html) and here FODNews.com Mission (http://www.fodnews.com/mission.html)

fc101
E145 "Jungle Jet Driver"

OA32
7th Mar 2010, 12:11
So... I have lots of additional questions, but I'll let the NTSB handle it.

From this I'm thinking you assume it happened in New Jersey, USA. So I feel I should point out it's called New Jersey for a reason and the original Jersey (the location involved) is part of the British Isles.

fc101

Allegedly the pilots did notice a vibration on departure but didn't think anything of it as it stopped. Not sure on what part of the runway the pieces were found but it was after dark, previously mentioned that there were approximately 6 movements of varying a/c size before it was found.

Spitoon
7th Mar 2010, 14:51
I guess this will be discussed in any accident/incident report, but what are Jersey's runway inspection procedures? (The most important issue not yet discussed)
I imagine Jersey's procedures are similar to those at other airports. Unless there is something to indicate that an inspection is needed, the runway will get routine periodic inspections. At a busy airport where I once worked there were only two inspections that were guaranteed - one before the day's flights started and one a short while before darkness fell. With continuous movements, getting a vehicle on to the runway was not easy!

This might sound surprising but debris or other problems were quickly reported by pilots using the runway, either because it was something odd that happened to the aircraft or because something was seen. Short of carrying out an inspection before/after every movement, it's probably not a bad system.

Two-Tone-Blue
7th Mar 2010, 18:07
Let me put you a case ....

It is dark. An aircraft takes off, and departs normally, and says nothing to ATC. Does anyone seriously expect ATC to carry out a runway inspection on that basis? Should ATC do that after every routine, "no problem" departure?

FFS, get real people. :ugh:

[BTW, for the benefit of our American friends, "New Jersey" is so called because those lands in America were given to George de Carteret by King Charles II, in thanks for his support for the Monarchy during the English Civil War. It was granted as a colony to Sir George Carteret and John Berkeley, 1st Baron Berkeley of Stratton. At this time, it was named after the largest of the British Channel Islands, Jersey. Just thought I'd mention that - I have to explain it all the time when I'm in the USA ;)

Vick Van Guard
9th Mar 2010, 16:56
I understand it was a E195. :ooh:

Coffin Corner
9th Mar 2010, 20:20
Hence the thread title "Flybe Embraer" :rolleyes:

Vick Van Guard
9th Mar 2010, 21:14
Hence the thread title "Flybe Embraer"

Yes, but if you read the thread there are various references to the Embraer 145 not 195.

Hence I understand it was a E195.

Grond
9th Mar 2010, 21:40
A runway inspection is just that - an inspection of the runway. If the debris was not on the runway then it would not have been seen.
Remember the TNT 737 which lost an undercarriage:
http://www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources.cfm?file=/OO-TND%20Section%201.pdf
"a runway inspection was carried out; this confirmed that the runway was clear of any debris. However, later on, the crew of an aircraft taxiing out for departure reported to ATC that there appeared to be a landing gear leg on the grass area between the runway and taxiway."

TurningFinals
9th Mar 2010, 21:51
Yes, but if you read the thread there are various references to the Embraer 145 not 195.

Hence I understand it was a E195.

I didn't think they had any E145's left? Willing to be corrected though..

Love_joy
10th Mar 2010, 10:46
All of the Flybe 'Barbie Jets' AKA Embraer 145's have found new homes. Some went to BMI Regional, some are sunning it in Greece and some are currently resting in a lonely corner of Exeter International.

It was indeed a Flybe Embraer 195 that was involved here - the mightiest of all the 'Jungle Jets'

DownIn3Green
12th Mar 2010, 19:26
OA32...You've sussed it out...the know-it-all you quote speaks volumes but still doesn't give details on his/her profile...I guess IAMP is on leave from his position at the "Know It All" Academy...thus the large amount of posts which actually amount to nothing...

You guys want a good laugh???...Check out "fromtheflightdeck.com" and then you'll take the guy who runs that "home page" with a grain of salt...

No wonder he doesn't post "details" in his profile...if there are any, they're obvivously "P-51"...

When do we say enough is enough with these ... oh well, guess we never will...

I will say I take personal offense to his description of a "typical" B-727 Cargo flight on his website....why???...Because there might actually be someone out there who believes that dribble...what a joke...

MaximumPete
13th Mar 2010, 10:35
The fire supression for that engine may have been compromised.

MP;)