PDA

View Full Version : Any theories?

bateleur
15th Sep 2000, 13:41
At the end every flight I have ever been on, the SLF all stand up en masse and jam into the aisles the instant the aircraft comes to a standstill. It’s not uncommon to see people doing it before the plane has even stopped. They then stand crushed together in the aisles until the ramp is brought up and the doors opened (can be quite a time in some airports!). Those who can’t get into the aisles because of the crush, stand crooked uncomfortably under the lockers.

But being first off the plane doesn’t make your baggage come any quicker.

Any theories on why people do this?

bateleur

Self Loading Freight
15th Sep 2000, 14:29
If you've only got carry-on baggage, then there's a small justification. If you're in an aisle seat, then you have to get up because the pax next to you is champing at the bit. If you've been sitting down for hours, you'll do anything that might pass for movement.

Mostly, though, people just want to get off. Any action towards that end, no matter how apparently counterproductive, will be taken in order to placate the Gods of Air Travel. It's the equivalent of wandering around the house opening and closing your fore and middle fingers while you're looking for the scissors.

R

rjemery
15th Sep 2000, 19:13
The same phenomenon can be observed on trains, where the seating (at least compared to aircraft coach) is far better. Commuter trains have seating comparable to aircraft coach, but Amtrak's coach seating is quite comfortable, even more so in Club Class. I guess that is one reason why Amtrak had its best season ever (see CNN: Record summer gives Amtrak hope (http://www.cnn.com/2000/TRAVEL/NEWS/09/12/amtrakriders.ap/index.html)).

------------------
R. J. Emery

[This message has been edited by rjemery (edited 15 September 2000).]

Squawk 8888
15th Sep 2000, 21:05
Maybe the seats are comfortable but Amtrak and Via Rail have a rather alarming tendency to crash (Via Rail averages a wreck every 5 weeks). I'd rather fly- at least I stand a better chance of getting there in one piece.

airwave
18th Sep 2000, 02:23
Also at some airports, immigration queues can be murderous so any chance to get ahead of your fellow travellers will see you waiting less time for a passport stamp. But mostly it is as mentioned above... get me outta here

------------------
I can see your house from here...

ExSimGuy
18th Sep 2000, 11:23
Could it be because most of them are bl00dy morons ?
:) ;) :)

------------------
---- "Per Ardua ad Mixas" ----
(Through hardship to the bars)

JetAgeHobo
19th Sep 2000, 04:38
SimGuy, you've hit the nail on the head.

You'd be surprised how quick a well placed/timed elbow to the forhead of the clown that WAS in the back, is now trying to push his way forward so he can be first out the door slows the fellow down. I seem to "accidently" catch one every so often while slinging my pc case over my shoulder. "Gee, So Sorry"

simitra
19th Sep 2000, 05:09
Being stuck at the tail end of a passport control line if you have a disability is no joke, which is why I always try to get off among the first pax when travelling with a handicapped relative. Cabin crew are usually quite helpful if you tell them of a genuine reason for needing to get off promptly.

AJ
19th Sep 2000, 22:52
Next thing you know, no one will want to get off ;)