PDA

View Full Version : BA Customer Service!!!!

EGCC Rwy 24
15th Sep 2000, 13:18
All we wanted to do was fly back from Madrid yesterday!!

It started with a phone call to BA's UK telephone check in number on Tuesday afternoon - you can't talk to us, here's the phone number for Madrid, call them.

Called Madrid, but can't check in the day before - call in the morning, anytime after 09:00.

Called Madrid again at 10:00, but can't check in yet - call again after 14:00.

Called Madrid again at 15:00, but can't check in yet - call again when less than three hours to go before the flight.

Called Madrid again at 17:15, but can't check in because they don't answer the phone.

Checked in at airport at 18:15, helpful gentleman explained that plane was not being operated by BA, but not to worry because all the usual security checks would be done(!). No information about potential delayed departure. Despite the early check in, my wife and I were allocated seats one behind the other.

Plane due to board at 19:35 and leave at 20:05. By 19:40 no mention on the departure board at all - all other flights leaving before midnight were shown. Asked at Iberia desk (they handle the airside stuff for BA) - they know nothing, except that there is no plane in Madrid. Why do they not know - because nobody from BA has informed them.

Telephoned BA directly - the plane is late coming in, due to arrive at 19:45, will depart at 20:25. Agreed that the airport would have no information because none has been given out by BA. Why? - because it hasn't.

Eventually, at about 20:20 the plane appeared on the departure boards, so all SLF went to the gate. Asked for an explanation from the two BA staff re lack of information - we can't say anything until we know the gate number - there is no point in giving out information until we know what is happening. What about the fact that passengers are standing around with no information on their flight - shrugged shoulders and a repetition that no information can be given out until a gate is known. Assured however that ALL passengers were told of delay when checking in - strange that, as I couldn't find anyone who HAD been told.

At 20:25, the first announcement - boarding in ten minutes.

Total confusion at the rear of the plane, with a number of duplicate seat allocations - fortunately, there was room for everyone, and in the reshuffle, I actually got to sit with my wife too!

First word from the captain was that our slot was not until 21:35, but a better slot was being sought. We eventually took off at 21:45 and, all credit to the crew, got to EGCC at 22:45 so a speedy journey.

Why is it that BA can NEVER manage to provide sensible and timely customer information? It is as if they feel that the fare paying passenger is a nuisance that simply gets in the way??

On board, the staff tend to be great, both "up front" and in the back. It is a shame that they are constantly let down by those that are supposed to support them!

Land After
15th Sep 2000, 13:31
Sounds typical of the customer service provided by BA. I'm making the same trip next week - your story doesn't fill me with great hope http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif Who's operating the service if it's not BA?

With this level of service it's no surprise most of my (Pax) flying is with BD and VS - BA is very much a last resort. Looking forward to the BD service to Chicago - let's see if they can take the business from AA as they've stolen all the PAX from BA on the LHR shuttle :)

swashplate
15th Sep 2000, 14:38
Sound like a return to the 70s!!!

BA = Bloody Awful

Three cheers for Bob Ayling....NOT!!!!!!!

EGCC Rwy 24
15th Sep 2000, 15:58
Land After - it was British World Airways, using one of their "older" BAC 1-11 planes.

The crew were "delighted" to be operating the flight on behalf of BA. The captain explained that the plane had been delayed on its inbound journey due to ATC delays.

Nobody chose to explain WHY the advertised 737 was not in evidence - just that it wasn't.

Land After
15th Sep 2000, 17:58
I wonder if this will be a regular substitution? The service can't be worse than BA & I've never flown a 1-11, so it could be an experience, even though I thought BWA were a charter outfit and space will be a little tight in the back.

TinnedSardine
18th Sep 2000, 14:50
I try to always fly VS, and hope I never have to fly BA again. The last flight with them, our friendly cabin crew member literally slammed our food down on the trays in front of us, and snarled rude comments at me and the people sitting next to me (an elderly couple I'd never met before). She was still miffed that I'd asked about my seat when I boarded the plane--it was broken and unbearably uncomfortable to sit in. She very snottily informed me that I was wrong, that's just the way the seats were, and I'd better get used to it!! And that's just one small thing--I could fill pages with miserable things that've happened to me with BA. Bloody Awful is right!