PDA

View Full Version : OITT (Tabriz/Iran)

Cecco
5th Mar 2010, 08:08
Hi, we are going to Middle East soon and routing back to Europe would be most convenient with technical stop in OITT (OMAA-OITT-LRCK). Any experience with this airport and with overflying Iran in general? I was wondering if this is a safe option....
Any comment is appreciated,
Cecco

dc9-32
5th Mar 2010, 08:34
What aircraft type ??

Be prepared to be ripped off in Iran.

Cecco
5th Mar 2010, 08:38
citation cj1+ (4.9 tons mtom)

5th Mar 2010, 08:50
Iran is fine - if your'e worried about security.

but service leaves a lot to be desired.

dc9-32
5th Mar 2010, 08:52
Well, depending on payload/winds etc, I would suggest overfly Iran and tech stop at LTCE.

hawker750
5th Mar 2010, 08:59
Cecco, Do not be put off by DC9's biggoted and uneducated comment. All my experiences of using Iranian Airspace and Airports have been good. Different to European culture but certainly more friendly than say Customs/Border protection at Teterborough.
Unfortunately have never used Tabriz but it looks beautiful from 37,000 ft beside a lake.
Go for it, there are Customs there and the Iranians are fantastically quick in giving clearances now (couple of hours). Suggest you do NOT use a handling agent, just land find the office to pay the landing fee ($) and fuel also maybe $ cash.
Let us all know how it goes.
Unless you are actually departing from OMAA I always use OMRK for tech stops as opposed to OMDB, just a couple hundred $$ for landing fee with out the dreaded "handling" charges.

hawker750
5th Mar 2010, 09:09
DC9
As I said do not use a handling agent. Just get clearance to land from Iranian Authorities. Why use a handling agent??? Are you not capable of self handling? The landing fee will be about $30. I certainly think you need a bit of education about handling agents, you seem to be the pilot type who does not like to go anywhere without one.

jetopa
6th Mar 2010, 09:15
I had only good experiences in Tabriz, so far. Lots of high terrain around, so watch where your airplane's autopilot is turning to in terms of obstacle clearance - particularly when coming from the East.

Handling is friendly but not very efficient. Take copies of your 'gendec' and AOC and permits when going with the agent for the purpose of paying your bills. Any women on board should wear a head-scarf. Not sure that somebody would care, but it once happened to us.

If everything works out fine, you're good to go in 30 minutes. Good luck!