PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Roll with Pilatus PC-12

Hudechs
4th Mar 2010, 12:57
I've heard rumours that a video was posted about performing a barrel roll in a Pilatus PC-12. Did anybody see this clip and does it still exist somewhere?

Sam Crow
4th Mar 2010, 13:08
HAve a look on you tube there is a video of a Boeing Test Pilot doing a barrel roll in a 707. There was a chap that used to display a modified Aero Commander, up until the late ninety's or early this century, saw him in San Francisco doing his display. The finale was a dead stick, but he did come accross the end fence quite fast. Looked good though

Jhieminga
4th Mar 2010, 13:11
Sam, you're talking about Bob Hoover. Nothing was modified on that Aero Commander.

lotusexige
4th Mar 2010, 13:27
If I remember the Feds pulled Hoover's medical a few years ago so he just kept flying on an Australian licence.

Agaricus bisporus
4th Mar 2010, 13:40
Perhaps what he really wanted was a video of a PC12 doing a barrel roll though...:=

ant1
4th Mar 2010, 13:53
The AHRS don't like it. Better get a PC-21 for that matter.

captainmorgan888
4th Mar 2010, 14:01
...here is a Citation Bravo barrel rolling - just once...

BFU Bundesstelle für Flugunfalluntersuchung BFU - Press Release German Federal Bureau of Aircraft Accident Investigation (http://www.bfu-web.de/cln_005/nn_226422/EN/WhatsNew/News/News__Header.html)

Checkboard
4th Mar 2010, 14:10
Nothing was modified on that Aero Commander.
Not quite - it had un-feathering accumulators added, so that he could whip the props into and out of feather for engine shut downs/engine starts.

If I remember the Feds pulled Hoover's medical a few years ago so he just kept flying on an Australian licence.

It was in the early '90s. Australia gave him a medical and licence, and he did one year of shows in Australia, before returning to the USA.

FlightDetent
4th Mar 2010, 14:45
here's one more barell roll. BFU Bundesstelle für Flugunfalluntersuchung BFU - Press Release German Federal Bureau of Aircraft Accident Investigation (http://www.bfu-web.de/cln_007/nn_224270/EN/WhatsNew/News/News__Header.html?__nnn=true)

Uncle_Jay
4th Mar 2010, 15:14
Not to hijack but... apparently some youngsters who dont remember Bob Hoover...

He used to do an entire aerobatic routine in a 'Rockwell' P51 Mustang then repeat the show in the Shrike ( a piston twin ) - first under power, then with one engine, then a spectacular display of energy management, a long routine with no engines, ending by coasting to a stop engines silent in front of the grand stand.

This was not just a barrel roll, it was a whole series of loops, rolls and 8s.

Upon landing Mr Hoover would gladly spend hours talking with people from the crowd. He remembered me 3 years apart at a Reading Air Show and Oshkosh.

Mr Hoover was much loved by the aviation community and sorely missed. Our latter day energy management hero, Capt Sullenberger, carries the torch.

Torquelink
4th Mar 2010, 15:33
Think he used to put a glass of water on the glareshield and not spill a drop!

His dudeness
4th Mar 2010, 16:00
To me the best pilot ever.

YouTube - Bob Hoover in his Aero Commander Shrike (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOZEgKXJMCE)

Watch him pouring icetea into a cup during the roll. Af.......mazing

YouTube - Bob Hoover at Oskosh 1983 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXTfcdbgU0Q)

Doing a barrel roll right after takeoff in a F86:

YouTube - Rare!! BOB HOOVER FLY F86 full video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRt6UnNzR6I)

OFBSLF
4th Mar 2010, 17:33
I had the pleasure of seeing Bob Hoover do his display in the Aero Commander some years back. Incredible!

JEM60
4th Mar 2010, 18:06
I still have the video of him that I took at Oshkosh some years back. Very clever flying. I saw him sheltering from the heat at Oshkosh a couple of years ago. Like all people of his age, he looks quite elderly now, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't fly anymore. Still a revered personality.
I don't really think that rolls are particularly dangerous, given height etc., as long as positive 'G' is maintained. A Lancaster was rolled, as was Concorde, by two [test] pilots on one flight!". Apparently one rolled it one way and the other 'unrolled' it so to speak!

AFTA
4th Mar 2010, 18:39
Watched him live in 88 or 89 in New jersey and the shrike was cool, but what really impressed me was the roll right after takeoff in the Sabreliner. Flew a Lear25 at the time and to me the Sabreliner looked a bit well .... heavy and underpowered. I guess it is not.

tartare
4th Mar 2010, 23:21
That'd be Tex Johnston...

Alvin M. Johnston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvin_M._Johnston)

JEM60
5th Mar 2010, 05:53
AFTA.
Not sure I'd be too impressed with ANY roll immediately after take-off. Scared, yes, impressed no. The rest of his shows were impressive however.:)

ericthepilot
5th Mar 2010, 07:31
And where is he now ?

AFTA
5th Mar 2010, 13:08
JEM60

Well if it is done by somobody as a one off showoff i would agree but this guy kept on doing this for years. In an interview many years ago he claimed that he had lost many friends that was cutting it to close and he kept saying "It is not about how low can you go but about how precisely can you fly the airplane". Good article on him on wikipedia.

robbreid
5th Mar 2010, 14:22
Mr. Hoover lives in Rancho Palos Verdes, California a suburb on 'the hill', in South Bay area of Los Angeles, and near Zamperini Field (Torrance) Airport.

JEM60
5th Mar 2010, 16:04
AFTA
Just thought that losing a donkey when inverted could be a problem, but, yes, you are right, Mr Hoover is eminently capable of it. I once saw a guy do the same roll,low,on take-off at Oshkosh in a Spitfire of all things. Us Brits were loud in the condemnation of that!! Sometimes not very good airshow flying in the USA!!

bingofuel
5th Mar 2010, 16:29
Lets not forget Roly Falk at Farnborough, rolling a Vulcan, and he used to fly it single crew!

doubleu-anker
6th Mar 2010, 04:10
You all know as well as I do, aerobatics in a non aerobatic aircraft, flown properly and with precision, will pull no more g than a good steep turn.

However, you only have to "screw up" the maneuver and if you survive the aircraft may well be overstressed. Would the guilty pilot or crew own up and get engineering in to check the aircraft for overstress? Hell no. Claim up is the most likely but wrong, course of events. Here lies the problem and someone else has to strap their backsides to that aircraft.

Years ago in another life a cessna 180 flew to pieces that I knew of and it had been know to have been aerobated at some stage. Metal has a very long memory. Try and remember that.

If I catch anyone aerobating a non aerobatic aircraft I will do my up most to see the appropriate authorities are informed ASAP. Sorry but that sort of behaviour is just not on.

Hudechs
6th Mar 2010, 15:15
That's exactly where I'm coming from. Performing aerobatic manoeuvers outside an aerobatic category aircraft proofs a very non-mature pilot attitude - it violates basic priniciples of good airmenship.

A barrel roll falls per definition under aerobatics (AoB>60°). A Pilatus PC-12 is obviousely not certified for aerobatics. So I would still be interested in my initial question: does anybody know about a video showing r/h cockpit view during a full barrel roll of a PC-12?

N2NB9H
6th Mar 2010, 17:38
A barrel roll falls per definition under aerobatics (AoB>60°). A Pilatus PC-12 is obviousely not certified for aerobatics.

Thanks god you can do more than 60 ° AoB with a PC-12 !

I don't know if there's a video but I've seen a picture of an "inverted" PC12 over the alps (during a barrel roll). It was almost 6 years ago.

JEM60
6th Mar 2010, 19:20
Sorry, Hudechs.
You're first paragraph of the previous post is far too sweeping.
To describe Bob Hoover, Roly Falk, Tex Hopkins et al as immature pilots is just a weeeeeennnnyyyyyy bit insulting [although I don't think that was your intention]

Lineboy4life
9th Mar 2010, 23:54
I do believe FAA stipulated Hoovers commander be put on the experimental category in acknowledgement of any possible extra "stresses" placed on the old girl.

Him & Yeagar lived my dream...bestards:}