PDA

View Full Version : Browsing oddity on PPrune.

BOAC
4th Mar 2010, 09:26
Just lately I have the odd outburst of 'Porridge' while browsing on PPRune. Pages immensely slow to load, post preview 'hanging' - sometimes dumping the post - 'bare-bones' pages sometimes displayed.

NB This happens on FF, IE and Safari. Other sites load normally.

If I look at Noscript on FF (PP fully 'enabled') it shows Scripts 0 and objects 0 while the pages are hanging and sometimes slowly works up to the full 35 scripts. Noscript off or on makes no difference. A reboot cures it. Whole thing seems to go with slow screen refresh and reluctance to minimise/close/etc pages. All virus checks etc ok. Right now back to normal???

Any ideas where to check please?

BOAC
6th Mar 2010, 21:56
From the silence I deduce I am all alone (again!). When it 'hangs' it is waiting for ui.ibsrv.net. (whitelisted). Other times it zings along nicely. Caches cleared, no change.

gas path
7th Mar 2010, 07:36
'Barebones' I take it thats when the page is just in a basic format and font, like times new roman? If so I've had the same on the odd occasion although the page loads ok, I just thought it was a server or ISP problem as it springs back to normal quite quickly. Thats just with IE. Other than that I've no idea!

BOAC
7th Mar 2010, 07:52
Yes, gp - no images and just basic block elements in white and blue. Same again this am, but now back to normal. Ah well.

green granite
7th Mar 2010, 07:55
I think it's probably the ui.ibsrv server BOAC as I get it occasionally as well.

BOAC
7th Mar 2010, 08:06
Thanks for that GG - I have a feeling that IB may be a little out of favour right now.

Here's a screen shot of when it (partially) works
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/boacphotos/PPR.jpg

parabellum
7th Mar 2010, 09:36
I get the basic text only every time with Firefox, doesn't revert to normal at all. Only occasionally with IE8.

What I am getting now, frequently, is when I hit the back button or a link, "Cannot display this page" etc. several clicks on the refresh button usually has it working again. Any ideas please?

BOAC
7th Mar 2010, 10:28
I suspect an IB issue here, as more ppruners come out of the woodwork!

green granite
7th Mar 2010, 10:43
It could of course be a setting in Addblocker/NoSript, but if so, it would do it all the time I would have thought.

BOAC
7th Mar 2010, 10:58
NB This happens on FF, IE and Safari. Other sites load normally. - I think that eliminates FF.

It seems to pull down the html ok, but not the CSS or images.

parabellum
7th Mar 2010, 20:15
Probably all part of the dastardly plans of the Board owners to work round AdBlocker etc.

Maybe we should limit our input here and continue via PM?

Saab Dastard
7th Mar 2010, 20:32
I am running FF (2) with Noscript and AdBlockplus, and I have no problem with content from ui.ibsrv.net.

Blocking it will prevent much of the site from rendering correctly.

You can block ibpxl.com without any loss of functionality.

From time to time I do notice that PPRuNe slows down, and this is usually with a "Reading...ui.ibsrv.net" message in the status bar. This is usually a few seconds, although it can be longer (and we mods do complain vociferously if it is bad).

I guess it is just busy, although Tues night / Wed. morning is backup time in IB land (West coast USA time), so a slow-down at that time could be related.

There's no conspiracy here, folks.

SD