PDA

View Full Version : Which "Manual" Flight Computer

Flyting
4th Mar 2010, 08:15
Yes, yes.... it's been debated back and forth but not with the new instruments...
I have the CX2 electronic and an old E6-B student computer, but now I would like to get something manual that is good for the ATPL and actually learn to use it properly and utilize it in my flying...

E6-B2WHL Universal Flight Computer (http://www.aprindustries.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_id=28&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=105&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=29)

or

AFE ARC-2 Professional Flight Computer : AFE - Airplan Flight (http://www.afeonline.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=37)

:confused: :confused: :confused:

JUST-local
4th Mar 2010, 08:24
It depends on which clouds you are in!

If its ones above the UK for the UK JAA ATPL's you need a CRP 5 to give you the "nearest" answers.

I am sure there will be similar prefered items for other JAA member states and others for other icao ATPL places, USA , SA etc.

If you only use the one during your training for the JAA ATPL you have not done enough practise, make sure you wear your first one out during the training. :8

Happy whizzing.

UAV689
4th Mar 2010, 11:14
Just recently sat the gen nav exam with the trusted CRP5.

I had a wind bar on mine and it is quicker 90% of the time to use, but sometimes it does not give the accurate answer and some tweaking is needed to get the answers on the exam.

paco
4th Mar 2010, 11:55
Yes, it's true that the CRP-5 is used for the exams, but - they use three of them to get a proper average because the build quality used to be so awful (although it seems to have improved somewhat). That means there's plenty of scope for alternatives, although the text on the faces seems to be more relevant on the CRP 5.

My own weapon of choice is the Jeppesen CR3, but of the two you mention, the ARC is what I would choose if I was spending £70

phil

hvogt
4th Mar 2010, 14:55
I used the crap five for the exams, and it worked fine. However, many of my fellow students were complaining a lot about the thing. As mentioned above, no two CRP-5 will give you the same result for the same question.