PDA

View Full Version : What aircraft did I see?

Rengineer
4th Mar 2010, 08:00
Hiall,

I hope this is the right place and way to post the question. Saw at Stuttgart (STR, EDDS), on the freight ramp, a smallish twin-propeller aircraft (appeared to be about half the size of a Hercules parked nearby) with a boxy (square) fuselage, high wing, dull white-and-blue paint scheme, no wing strakes [correction: struts] visible, sort of droopy nose, that looked almost, but not quite, like a CASA C212. What could it have been? Unfortunately have no pic as the light was fading.

RingwaySam
4th Mar 2010, 08:04
Shorts 360 maybe?

Rengineer
4th Mar 2010, 10:16
Thanks RWS, possibly a Shorts. I thought the wing was without struts, though (have edited that now in my post:bored:).

JLUX
4th Mar 2010, 16:16
Maybe a Do228,Seen at lux 27-02-2010,D4-CBK, white blue tail.
Regards
Jack

58Scout
10th Mar 2010, 13:32
Could have been a U.S. Army C-23B Sherpa. They are in the CENTCOM AOR and use Stuttgart AAF on trips back and forth to the US.

C-23 Sherpa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C-23_Sherpa#Operators)

charliemac
10th Mar 2010, 14:21
Thought from your description that it may be a Shorts 'Skyvan' which I note from Wikipedia is still flying? Flew to BFS from PIK in one in the mid-sixties, skirted Ailsa Craig and scared the hell out of the resident gannet population. Airline was the original (I think ) Emerald Airways. Any recollections out there?

Talkdownman
10th Mar 2010, 18:42
Flew to BFS from PIK in one in the mid-sixties, skirted Ailsa Craig and scared the hell out of the resident gannet population. Airline was the original (I think ) Emerald Airways. Any recollections out there?In '67 that run was usually made by Emerald's Dak, EI-APJ. The Emerald PIK station manager was a lovely old boy called Mr Mackinnon who would facilitate 'jump-seat' rides for local air traffickers. I don't recall a Shed doing that run.

Rengineer
11th Mar 2010, 07:36
Ringway, Jack, 58, charlie, Thanks a lot - I think it may have been a shorts 360 after all. Will try to see next time I'm around if it's there again.

sprocky_ger
13th Mar 2010, 08:20
In case it was a S-360 check airliners.net for "Nightexpress" - although I have never seen it at STR.

You mentioned "high wing" and "no struts" (although you were not sure on this one). What about the AN-26 opb CityLine (cargo operator from Hungary)? They visit STR quite often.

I'll visit STR next week. Maybe I'll see what you saw ;)