PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard misfiring....

Non-Driver
3rd Mar 2010, 20:33
I've just bought an Asus netbook with W7 starter edition which I'm pleased so far with apart from one pretty fundamental problem. The keyboard doesn't enter the struck key for certain symbols. Annoyingly the primary ones are @ (which is swapped with ") and worse I can't find any key which gives me a pound symbol, the one on the 3 key writes a # but the # key enters a |

I've changed the input keyboard/language setting to UK English from the default US English but it hasn't made a blind bit of difference.

Any ideas how to correct this ?

Bushfiva
3rd Mar 2010, 23:01
Just as a quick test, what happens when you press alt shift at the same time? Does it fix the mappings?

Loose rivets
4th Mar 2010, 05:50
Don't you have to load the full new UK or US driver and not just change between US/Uk English.

I always used to have both at the ready, but since W7 beta, I've not bothered. I'll try now.

I used to used Alt and Shift as my toggle.

Cap Loko
4th Mar 2010, 05:55
Is the keyboard itself UK? Looks like it might be another European layout.

Loose rivets
4th Mar 2010, 05:59
#### ££££££

Hooray! Thinks...how the heck did I do that?

Start - Search - type Keyb - Change Kebs - Add - Eng UK

but now it gets tricky. Open the subs folders to reveal further tick boxes. Pick the UK Eng and then the grayed out button will go black - The default key stroke is LEFT Alt Shift.

Non-Driver
4th Mar 2010, 08:02
Just as a quick test, what happens when you press alt shift at the same time? Does it fix the mappings?

Brilliant - that cleared it straight away thanks.

Would recommend this little beauty (Asus 1005HA) to anyone working on the move and on a budet. 8 hours battery life, W7, 1GB RAM, 240GB hard drive, bright 10" screen, good build quality & stylish for £249 ! (Amazon).