PDA

View Full Version : Incident near Enstone Tuesday March 2?

mary meagher
3rd Mar 2010, 20:22
There I was, departing Enstone in my Supercub, returning to my gliding club, when Enstone Radio asked if I could search for an aircraft that Brize had said was in trouble just to the west of Enstone.

After calling Pan pan, they had possibly descended into a field.

I said of course, and went to look, checked out a couple of bonfires first, and
tried to set up a sensible pattern at 1,000' when Enstone told me that Brize reported the HELICOPTER had landed safely. So I went on my way.

Does anyone know any more about this? I would love to know the rest of the story.

FLY 7
3rd Mar 2010, 22:50
In the event of a problem, helicopters can usually land very quickly and easily and don't need much space.

So, if for example a warning light came on, the pilot can elect to make a pan call and land in a convenient field, ideally near an access road, to check it out.

However, he may only be able to give an indication of his approx position and, once on the ground, there may be no radio reception. It is therefore sensible for atc to contact any other aircraft in the area to look out for the helicopter.

Sounds as if the system worked, you helped out and, fortunately, all was well.

SilsoeSid
4th Mar 2010, 14:09
...and from us all, Thank You for your assistance.
:ok:

airborne_artist
4th Mar 2010, 14:24
How did we manage before Fly7 came on the scene? :}

theaceofblades
5th Mar 2010, 13:19
H269 on route from Bournemouth to Gamston, as it was leaving Brize airspace it developed a very rough running engine and did a precautionary zero zero landing in a field north of Brize. All on board OK.

After a thorough check out it flew over to Enstone where the pilot had a very nice cup of tea.

mary meagher
5th Mar 2010, 19:05
Thank you, Ace of Blades! It is lovely to know more, and that you had a nice cup of tea! I was just jolly glad that neither bonfire had anything to do with your field landing.

Do drop in at Shenington some weekend! phone the club first, 01295 688121
and ask for me, and I'll brief on circuits and permissions.

Mary

Ned-Air2Air
5th Mar 2010, 19:56
Ace - wasnt you on that 300 was it :ok: