PDA

View Full Version : A solemn salute

Slasher
22nd Sep 2001, 02:52
I salute those passengers of the Pittsburgh flight, whose bravery and guts saved the lives of hundreds of others on the ground.

The on-board battle must have been horrific with many being killed by the terrorists as passengers attempted to wrest conrtrol of the aircraft from them. I can only speculate that the passengers were successful in there endevor but were unable to control the aircraft after that, and did there best to steer the aircraft into a vacant area rather than a populated one.

Ive never saluted anyone in my life. But to these courageous individuals, from the heart, I do.

I hope their actions will never be forgotten.

Rest In Peace.

Courage is not defined by Fearlessness. Fearlessness is not Courage. Courage is defined by those brave souls who are terrified, afraid, yet go into battle regardless.

AA SLF
22nd Sep 2001, 08:06
Thank You Slasher for the tribute to those on the UA flt EWR-SFO that crashed near Pittsburg-Penn.

I had a business associate (and friend) from work on that flt. His name has been mentioned many times in the past week.

A young man I was happy to associate with; just entering the prime of both his personal life as well as his business life.

I, too, applaud the bravery of those on that flt.

Our company lost a total of eight (8) employees in the WTC and airplane deals.

Again - thanks for your post from this SLF.

ps - I reallly enjoy your posts even when they "stir things up" from time to time.

Keep the Tail pointing up.

dAAvid -

five percent
23rd Sep 2001, 00:17
A lot of respect for those people and hope that it is a sign that good can really conquer the foolish selfish people of this world.

[ 22 September 2001: Message edited by: five percent ]

gdb1973
23rd Sep 2001, 03:22
Here here

I am in total agreement. Whatever race,creed colour those people were, this is true heroism. I hope I never have to face such a decision in my life. But if I do I hope I make the same choice they did.

I am not someone for this kind of statement. But god bless them all. Their actions may have saved hundreds or thousands of lives. Nice one.

Gordon Burford, Oxford(Ish), England. (Wannabe)

flapsforty
24th Sep 2001, 22:00
Brave souls indeed, deserving our greatest respect.

Kermit 180
25th Sep 2001, 06:38
Normal people in odd circumstances took control of a situation and saved thousands of other lives. Well done, God bless.

Kermie

Llademos
27th Sep 2001, 21:50
Skylark,

That was a nasty remark to make. If you wish to repeat rumours (that have, incidently, been denied at the very highest level) use an appropriate thread and topic, and acknowledge that they are rumours rather than stating them as if it was the truth.

Those people were, as Slasher says, truly brave people. I hope they are suitably recognised.

Slasher
28th Sep 2001, 07:58
No. The aircraft was not shot down.

tiger burn
28th Sep 2001, 23:45
All the evidence suggests ultimate courage & even if it maybe (perhaps cynically) suggested that the aircraft was shot down - those guys DID act proactively (& against all odds) displaying bravery beyond the boundaries. I certainly salute them & I hope many will take inspiration from their courage.

Lets Roll.

tb ;)

five percent
28th Sep 2001, 23:48
Since Skylark has the inside knowledge and knows just what went on why don't we just say

"we salute the courage of those who fought the hijackers to save the lives of those on the ground and fortunately the aircraft was also shot down to help them so at least they know there efforts were worth it and people were saved on the ground".

There are a lot of people around who know it all like he does!

ExSimGuy
29th Sep 2001, 22:42
Slasher,

Welcome back to the self-loaders section - don't see you too often in this part of the virtual world. I'm with you 101% on your sentiments. Brave people, whether they were pax or Effays, or both. God be with 'em.

Ignore the hijackers on your thread :(

Slasher
4th Oct 2001, 20:46
Yeh thanks Exsim. I know for a fact through a USAF mate of mine that the aircraft was not shot down as it intercepted too late. Also the hand-phone recording from one of the pax to his wife indicated they were going to do something. Brave people.

Ace Rimmer
8th Oct 2001, 22:21
I'm not known for being gushy especially when sober but this has got me going. A question Skylark, do you have the guts? I hope you never find out.
As was said above courage is being **** scared and still getting up and doing something about it. Let's review you are faced with death suddenly with no preparation that in itself is enough to cause most people to be rendered catatonic with fear. You know what's going to happen if you remain passive.You then overcome that fear and coldly decided to do something about it...unarmed. These fellows deserve nothing but our admiration and thanks for the disaster they so selflessly averted.
Dubya needs to posthumously gazette them with the Congressional Medal - or its civilian equivilant. Although I'd argue for the former since they were clearly the first active soldiers in this "war against terrorism."