PDA

View Full Version : When did "metal-covered" airplanes die out?

stepwilk
3rd Mar 2010, 15:22
Anybody know when the last of the "metal-covered" designs--the Junkers/Fokker/Ford technology--died out in favor of stressed-skin aircraft, the first of which apparently was the Short Silver Streak?

Am I safe in assuming that the big Fokker and Ford trimotors of the late 1920s and the Ju-52 were the end of this road, or am I ignoring a lot of even later designs?

Rigga
3rd Mar 2010, 20:45
The standard of Aluminium in the 1920's was still quite poor and unstable. Thats why it wasnt used int he great War.

Its use was revolutionised by making the surface stronger with the ripples (aligned with the airflow to reduce the obvious drag). It wasn't until aluminium processing was further refined, strengthened and coated with outer layers of corrosion preventive materials, i.e. when Duralumin (Dural) was invented, that "Wriggly Tin" was superseded in favour of more aesthetic smooth skins.

I believe Antony Fokker was the last to build aircraft using use "Wriggly Tin", but I can't remember which Mark that was and I stand to be corrected.

I have evidence pointing toward at least one Ju 52/3m in service with Transportes Aereos Orientales, Ecuador up to 1971!

aviate1138
3rd Mar 2010, 21:35
The Thorp T-211 is still being built.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn77/aviate1138/Picture7-4.jpg

Overhead/abeam Woodford

stepwilk
3rd Mar 2010, 21:45
But the Thorp's fuselage is monocoque or at least semi-monocoque, right? I think there were a lot of stressed-skin airplanes--including the Short Silver Streak--that never had stressed-skin wings.

barit1
7th Mar 2010, 18:14
The Spartan 7W Executive (1936) had a spar that was a steel-tubing truss - much like the fuselage frame of many light aircraft (except it was long and skinny). To this was attached aluminum ribs and skin. The skin provided torsional rigidity, but the lifting loads were carried by the steel truss.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:dRgKl0WQDy40IM:http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/1/6/4/1383461.jpg

barit1
10th Mar 2010, 01:01
There are more, now that I think about it, though they were postwar retrofits.

Some examples that were originally aluminum spar & ribs, w/ fabric cover, later had the fabric replaced with light-gauge aluminum: Cessna 120/140/170, Stinson 108, perhaps a few more.

I've seen the Stinson aft fuselage covered with aluminum, also the Howard DGA when converted by Jobmaster.

ChrisVJ
10th Mar 2010, 03:45
The B17 had multiple spars built up from tube trusses. Fascinating construction.

ChrisVJ
10th Mar 2010, 04:06
The B17 had multiple spars built up from tube trusses. Fascinating construction.

treadigraph
10th Mar 2010, 06:42
I've seen the Stinson aft fuselage covered with aluminum

How about the Apache/Aztec (nee Twin Stinson)? I'm sure I recall reading that at least a section of the fuselage (cabin area?) was metal clad tubing, the rest monocoque. If so, would that count?

barit1
10th Mar 2010, 12:28
The Mooney Mark 20/21 as well.

Re retrofits - I've even seen a Stearman ag conversion with a tin-wrapped aft fuselage. Very nice job too.