PDA

View Full Version : Mountain flying

Cirrusly
3rd Mar 2010, 09:23
I was planning on doing some mountain training in New Zealand as opposed to Australia due to our obvious lack of mountains. I was curious if I have to convert my licence in order to do the training in NZ or is it part of the trans Tasman agreement and therefore is a conversion not needed?

Simfo
3rd Mar 2010, 13:20
Did you look at the CAA NZ or at the CASA

Pilots (http://www.caa.govt.nz/pilots/pilots.htm)

Mountain Flying Training

Civil Aviation Safety Authority - Converting foreign licences (http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_90024#ttmra)

New Zealand licence holders (TTMRA)

MightyGem
3rd Mar 2010, 16:58
Can't you do it in those mountains that are high enough for snow? The Snowy Mountains?

Gas Producer
4th Mar 2010, 07:09
Cirrusly,

Firstly, don't mention Australia and mountains in the same sentence... the Kiwis will never take you cirrusly. Ha ha.

Sorry about that... couldn't help it.

Anyway...

Mountain flying is part of the NZ syllabus so you have to do the training before you can get the licence.

Are you just doing the training for the hell of it or do you plan on getting a NZ licence? There are a couple of other things you need to qualify eg. sling training. Check out the specifics of the TTRMA before you spend a dollar.

If you wanna go flyin' around the hills here get in contact with Wanaka Helicopters.

One thing about flying hills... you can go to all the schools and get all the training you like, but you REALLY learn about flying mountains when you get out there and have to make all the decisions yourself.

GP :}

Ned-Air2Air
4th Mar 2010, 07:47
GP - You can say that again. The most amazing demonstration of mountain flying I have seen was when I went with a flight with Simon Expensive Flowers in an R22 and we were "surfing" up the side of the mountains up behind Wanaka on the air currents and it was impressive.

Still think its the most amazing part of the country, down that neck of the woods.

Ned

Helinut
4th Mar 2010, 09:02
Unless things have changed, you can go and do the mountain training (without an NZ licence). I went to Wanaka a while ago with a UK licence, but so long as you are dual, you don't need a NZ licence, I guess.

Just reading Ned's post reminded me of my flights with Simon a few years ago. The memory sent a tingle up my spine. I thought I knew a tiny bit about mountain flying, but Simon's knowledge and his gentle way of transferring it was inspirational. Feel like getting back on the plane and doing some more :ok: