PDA

View Full Version : Qantas - staff feedback

cs123
3rd Mar 2010, 09:13
A question for Qantas cabin crew.

The Qantas website has a feedback page. I've used this a couple of times to give positive feedback on my CC. I'm a Platinum FF and get either a call or email thanking me.

My question is does that feedback make it back to you and does it factor in when you have appraisals etc. ie Is it worth the effort for me to give positive feedback?

timos
3rd Mar 2010, 14:17
Yes your feedback greatly helps in our KPI assessment and it does reach us!
Cheers. :ok:

cs123
3rd Mar 2010, 19:53
Thanks.Good to know.

flitegirl
3rd Mar 2010, 20:19
That may be the case if you're an Onboard Manager where it's all about meeting those important KPI numbers.

As a flight attendant I have not had an appraisal/review/feedback session with a Cabin Crew Team Manager in over 7 years.

cs123
3rd Mar 2010, 20:51
Yikes!! seven years is a bit of a long time between appraisals.

Do you normally work with one onboard manager or do you just move about depending on staffing requirements.

ditzyboy
3rd Mar 2010, 21:38
cs123 -

We do not fly with a particular CSM, though we have a ground manager (the person you would call your boss or supervisor in a regular job). These managers just had their workload greatly increased and look after 250 flight attendants each. I have found the two in my base to be very good. Though they seem to have little authority and always have to send emails or make phone calls to get things done.

Our CSMs regularly do behavioural type appraisals and these are fed into a computer system, which our manager can access. We used to sit with our ground manager and they would go through them. It has been a while since that occurred (2006 was my last).

I have, however, received complimentary feedback from customers that appears to come from the the customer feedback webpage. It is de-identified though and is attached to a letter from our manager.

flitegirl
3rd Mar 2010, 22:04
Yes cs123, 7 years is a long time between appraisals. I suppose there's no money for that sort of thing anymore (unless you're performance is poor).

The reviews completed on board by your manager are an A4 sheet with some dots to fill in to rank the crew member's performance, usually completed by an Onboard Manager who has never met you before:hmm:

obira
3rd Mar 2010, 22:31
Hi cs123,

In answer to your question, from my perspective yes it is worth the effort you put in to writing in. Even if it is not raised in an appraisal with our ground manager we greatly appreciate your taking the time to recognise our efforts. Everyone loves to feel appreciated; it puts a spring in our step and encourages us to keep up the good work. As a platinum frequent flyer your feedback is especially appreciated.

As ditzyboy has said our onboard managers (ie Customer Service Manager and Supervisor) do appraisals on us every few trips so even a comment to the Customer Service Manager or Supervisor as they pass through the cabin or as you leave the aircraft can have a positive effect on our appraisals.

Thanks
obira

cs123
4th Mar 2010, 00:53
OK. If the feedback makes it back to you or if it helps in anyway I am more than happy to give it.

Never thought about talking to the onboard manager, will make sure I do that too.

BTW. Qantas crew are generally very good. It makes a having to sit on planes all the time a little bit more bearable. Thanks

skybed
4th Mar 2010, 22:40
waiting for a respone to any of my customers emails. i have seen over the last 2 to 3 years customers write emails complimenting crew providing a very good service but have yet to see a formal copy of the email. have raised this with my manager but as usual there is no resource to investigate,etc. However, if there is a complain as soon as the email gets send the phone rings....
cs123, talk to your onboard manager or get a piece of paper and comment on it so the OBM can take it in person back to the office and it will get actioned:ok:

flyergirl
5th Mar 2010, 01:01
Bring on the positive feedback, we love it! It really perks you up when a passenger takes time out to do this. It is very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Boomerang_Butt
5th Mar 2010, 03:08
cs123, thank you for taking the time time to show your appreciation. I have several copies of customer emails in my possesion ( with customer details blanked out course) and it really does make us happy to know we are doing a good job. Feel free to tell the crewmembers themselves also as you leave if you like their service, it's always nice to be able to hear a thanks in person, also we can see who you are and if you fly with us a lot-( as you would with PL status!)- we can say hello again next time we see you on board.

I keep copies of any positive customer feedback because you never know when it might come in handy, also if you are looking to apply for a promotion or other such special opportunity.

Have a great day, see you on board soon :ok:

air doris
5th Mar 2010, 05:45
From my experience any feedback/compliments either from customers or on board manager is passed on with a copy to the relevant crew member and a copy also goes onto their personal file, and yes it is greatly apreciated and rewarding. Are you aware of our "Excell" program? It allows customers/crew to nominate a particular crew member (or entire crew) for an award for an exceptional service experience which would usually exceed the set standard. Nominations are looked at and winners chosen every few months. You can identify previous winners from a badge on their jackets.

cs123
5th Mar 2010, 06:35
Thanks for the reminder. I have seen the Excel program but had forgotten about it.

I get the occasional web survey request. There is a section there on crew. I normally try to fill those surveys in

QFLHFA
24th Mar 2010, 13:21
A lot of the Managers on board take the credit themselves and don't pass on the feedback to appropriate cabin crew managers. So perhaps you could address the letter to the flight attendant you had on board via the qantas feedback page.

Aus380
25th Mar 2010, 04:07
If you provide general comments about your experience, the entire crew will receive a copy of the letter, even if they were not operating in your cabin. If you personalise it, then usually that crew member will receive it. As an OBM, if any customer provides positive comments about a specific crew member, I would pass that feedback on as soon as possible to that crew member, as I think we all appreciate that kind of on the spot feedback. We can then also complete a performance review for that sector reflecting the crew members efforts. If you enjoyed your in flight experience, let one of the OBM's know so we can pass on your comments to the whole crew. If something is not right, please let us know, we will do our best to find a solution. I think we all realise that many of our Platinum FF's spend more time on our aircraft than we do, and if you are happy with your flight, we would welcome an opporunity to pass on specific positive feedback to our crew after an 18 hour day at the office. Safe travels.......

Autobrakes4
25th Mar 2010, 19:25
It's a sad world when crew are courting letters from passengers for just doing their job.

Maybe I should ask for a letter from passengers everytime I land the plane.

This is your job people, just do it. It's what you're paid to do. You shouldn't need a positive letter to put a "spring in your step". :rolleyes:

Aus380
26th Mar 2010, 02:11
I dont think anyone is courting letters, simply answering a question for a FF about what happens to their feedback when they give it. :confused:

GalleyHag
26th Mar 2010, 02:48
Some people do court letters as management look for these when applying for promotions and if you dont have any on your file they ask why and some will even assume that because you have no positive letters on your file you are therefore not worthy of a promotion. Thats just Qantas.

Autobrakes4
26th Mar 2010, 03:36
Aus380. I think you're caught up in the typical self importance that exists on the 380 in Qantas.

Of course people court letters as GalleyHag suggests.

From what I have heard, OBM's on the 380 are generally the corridor creepers who would also try and persuade pax to write a letter when they are happy. Of course the reverse would exist if there was a dissatisfied or disgruntled passenger on board.

Management need to take a good look at themselves if they are promoting on the basis of letters in ones file, or how much one brown noses around qcc1. When the original OBM's went to the 380 at initial introduction, I'm sure that brown nosing was a pre-requisite!

rottielover
26th Mar 2010, 13:46
In reply to Autobrakes,
Yes, it is our job, but an acknowledgment of our efforts really does make it feel worthwhile.
Do I need it? No.
Do I appreciate it? Absolutely.

Autobrakes, if you perform a perfect landing, don't you feel good?
Doesn't it put a smile on your dial if one of the customers or one of your colleagues comments on what a great landing that was?

CS123,
Do complimentary emails filter through to the crew?
That is a very good question.
I'm not certain of the answer.
Thank you either way for going to the effort.

Safe and happy flying:ok:

Aus380
26th Mar 2010, 22:39
Well Autobrakes, I guess with your many years of experience of face to face contact with our customers and working along side some of the fantastic CC we have, you are correct. Oh hang on, you are a pilot, my mistake - again!! As for self importance, you do have mirrors on the flight deck dont you - take a look:eek:

Autobrakes4
27th Mar 2010, 01:07
What great CRM skills you have Aus380. This would make the you the perfect OBM for the 380 with your holier than thou attitude. All I set out to explain from the outset was you shouldn't need letters to do your job properly (put a spring in your step), that's what you get paid for. You decided to make it personal. That's fine by me, just expect it back.

Just remember, tea or coffee, beef or chicken. It's not rocket science. That's why you're easily replaceable, no skill set. :ugh:

Oh, a perfect landing doesn't phase me. I want a safe one within the touchdown zone and on the centreline. I certainly don't want or need compliments. I'm just doing what I am paid to do. That's the problem with the "Y" generation of today; they need constant praising and motivation. DO THE JOB YOU ARE PAID TO DO!

A_B_P
27th Mar 2010, 11:18
Perhaps therein lies the problem Autobrakes, crew these days don't actually get paid to do the job they are actually doing. At base wage that the current government has deemed below minimum wage, the company then expect a level of service higher than all the other premium airlines in the world.

You have crew who earn $34,000 base wage attempting to maintain standards to keep the business returning, but at the end of the day the incentive really isn't there.

If it was just about beef or chicken, coffee or tea, there wouldn't be a problem but it's not, and as for your CRM well it's quite telling isn't it. Perhaps you don't need a letter to say you're doing a good job, but on your wages I would think your satisfaction level is far greater.

A complimentary letter to some is justification that they are good at what they do and keeps them motivated to keep doing so. Even if it is for below minimum wage.

No harm in that.

TheOtherGuy
27th Mar 2010, 15:30
What do you mean "At base wage that the current government has deemed below minimum wage,..."? Do you want to support that claim with some fact (i.e what the real minimum wage is) or do you just want to have an uninformed, uneducated bleat in blissful ignorance of what is really happening in the industry. I suppose if you rant such nonsense often enough, someone might believe it and support it with another rant. How can it be below the minimum? Some people just need to get honest with their debates.

A_B_P
27th Mar 2010, 22:08
I stand corrected, and I apologise.

I should have written "average" rather than "minimum", and thankyou for pointing it out in such descriptive terms.

Aside from my mistake my point still stands, what the company pay and what they expect is vastly different. Add to that the fact that the crew working alongside each other earn on average $30,000 less than their counterparts it makes for a hotpot of disgruntled employees.

I know what you will say, it is what it is, but that doesn't mean they have to like it.

bonvol
28th Mar 2010, 01:02
Yeah, a distant relative of mine found that out when she applied and got accepted to a regional carrier as an F/A.

She found she wasn't equipped for the somewhat rigorous training
program. She thought that for the money they were offering (< 30K) the whole gig couldn't be too difficult. Wrong.

End result, she quit just after getting checked out and went back to working in a supermarket.