PDA

View Full Version : Travelling BA, doing ticket on departure?

What_does_this_button_do?
31st Jan 2001, 19:40
This takes the BA Biscuit!

I quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Book online, then contact your local British Airways office to arrange payment and ticketing options. Please note there is a £25.00 non refundable surcharge payable for each Ticket on Departure for Domestic and International departures from UK airports. </font>

SO, if you're doing ToD it's £25 EXTRA - if you get tickets sent to you then it's no charge, unless it's less than 48 hours when they will "Parcelforce" it to you for £3. E-tickets, no charge. Note: you can't do e-ticket if you're using the OneWorld alliance membership in one direction and BA in the other direction.

And STILL no discount for booking on-line?

Grrrrrrrrrr

G-SKIP
31st Jan 2001, 20:02
What else would you expect, but why if you booking outside 48hours would you want a TOD, i think it comes from too many years of Travel Agents taking the piss and arranging tods 1,2 or 3 weeks in advance or their other favorite trick of booking restricted tickets months in advance but not ticketing them till the final deadline for advance purchase

G-SKIP

What_does_this_button_do?
31st Jan 2001, 20:10
You may want ToD if you're doing back to back trips and you're staying in hotels so can't have the tickets sent anywhere. BA will NOT send tickets to anywhere BUT the billing address of the Creidt Card (and quite right too!)

The Guvnor
31st Jan 2001, 21:41
Strange that - coz as long as you are travelling on a full fare ticket, under IATA regs you have the right to a TOD.

I tend to book all my BA tickets directly either online, through their offices and over the phone; saving them loads of dosh in commission in the process. For them then to charge £25 for a TOD is taking serious liberties.

I have no problems with them doing it on consolidated and other heavily rebated fares; but full Y, J or F fares is well out of order!! :mad: :mad:

Scottie Dog
31st Jan 2001, 23:24
GBP25.00 is a hefty fee and on some occassions is unavoidable. If you are travelling with BA - even on a non e-ticketable route then they will charge you a handling fee.

The fee for routes which are non e-ticketable, or which involve mixed carriers has been dropped to GBP10.00. I think that the charge of GBP10.00 for a TOD on MAN-STN is a ripoff, since there is no alternative for short notice bookings.

For your information the use of back-to-back tickets is technically illegal, since the airline could accuse you of fraud. I would call it 'creative ticketing' as long as all coupons are used in the correct sequence.

I have many travellers who are based in far flung parts of the country, and who may not be staying in any one place long enough for tickets to be posted. This will account for requests for a TOD even if travel is well in advance.

BA will even charge you GBP10.00 if your travel agent issues the ticket, takes it to the ticket desk and asks them to keep it for the traveller to collect.

Such seems to be the way forward in this age of 'lets see if we can make a fast penny'. Lets go back to the days when the airline, agent and passenger would work together! :rolleyes:

[This message has been edited by Scottie Dog (edited 31 January 2001).]

LatviaCalling
1st Feb 2001, 01:01
Yeah, but when I try to book on line, the price shown RIX-LGW-RIX is $948.00, but when I walk into the friendly BA downtown office the price is $385.00. Both fares include a Saturday overlay.

Also, BA runs a twice annual promotion from Riga: U.S. $299 to $399; Europe $199; Asia $599 and Caribbean $499.

Why in the world would I want to join their Internet club and pay two to three times as much for the same fare?

BigRab
1st Feb 2001, 01:17
Easyjet do an excellent job without tickets and give an online discount.
No hassle, no waiting, good product most of the time.
(I do not work for them, but am a regular satisfied customer)

Boss Raptor
1st Feb 2001, 13:05
I had a discussion on this very subject with my travel agent only last week...he pointed out to his BA Account Manager that in his opinion under IATA rules full fare pax. were entitled to TOD...was answered by angry growls &'I'll get back to you'...7 weeks later he is still waiting for a reply...

It should be remembered that BA have already done considerable damage last year to their Travel Agent relationship by capping the commissions at £25...so an agent will understandably try to sell another carrier in preference...

Another bullet just hit the second foot it would appear!

StressFree
4th Feb 2001, 21:23
http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif