PDA

View Full Version : BA's ClubEurope...is that really a Business class?!

OO-AOG
28th Jan 2001, 21:48
I normaly avoid BA since a terrible flight back from PEK where my luggage got lost at LHR. My company scheduled me on GVA-LGW-GVA in club Europe 'business' class. We flew a 737-400 and I was surprised to be seated on a middle seat. The meal we received was a simple salad. This flight cost was 800£.
This is just unacceptable. What do you guys think about it?

man in black
28th Jan 2001, 22:05
In Europe, there is really no such thing. Some other fellow, posted the following messge on the website
"Planetalk7.com" .....which I think says it all:

Whilst living in HK for many years as a frequent CX passenger, I did, but since moving to Europe this past summer, I recognize not enough.
The quality of service on CX in comparison with the European-based carriers is, on average, far superior. One becomes used to the high standards on CX and then forgets there are not many airlines that remotely approach this level.

So, whenever one of your passengers start to get a rash about something, tell 'em to fly within Europe on an over- stuffed 737 with a stewardess who hasn't smiled in 27 years and uses the dinner rolls for target practice on the terrified business travellers.

On especially bad travel days in Europe, I close my eyes and dream about slipping into my upper-deck seat on a CX 747-400 series, having a drink as we fly back into HK after a long work week......

End Quote

There is no business class in Europe!!

OO-AOG
29th Jan 2001, 15:55
man in black,

I agree with that but don't tell me that all airlines in europe gives a middle seat (economy size) to their business travellers.
If you fly Sabena by example, nobody is seated on the middle seat, which is indeed blocked. The catering is at least an hot meal. BA has been well known to be one of the best airllines around but this is not not right anymore. Next time, I will ask to fly easyjet and save my company +75% on my ticket. They should try to keep their high yelds passengers for god sake.

strix uralensis
29th Jan 2001, 17:23
oo-aog,
£800? i´m afraid you exaggerate a bit.
s.

Sharjah Night Shift
30th Jan 2001, 00:10
When I fly I pay my own fare so I think I will stay loyal to easyjet.

BRUpax
30th Jan 2001, 04:52
Business Class in Europe is, with the exception of a very few airlines, one BIG con. One of my regular sectors is BRU-BHX-BRU which I fly both in Economy and Business (depending on who is paying)! On BA I find that I prefer the sandwich in Y class than the cold meal they serve in C class. No champagne of course, but who cares, it's usually warm anyway! I find that an APEX "Y" class return is good value for money. The "C" class fare is daylight robbery. Yes, I know all about ticket flexibility but it's still way over-priced.

VnV2178B
30th Jan 2001, 17:32
Like BRUpax, I have been on the BHX-BRU run regularly recently and agree that the difference between the 'front' and 'back' doesn't justify the price, even if someone else is paying I still feel cheated/let down/disappointed. Mind you I don't know what I am expecting. I guess it's the dream of air travel which is still sold as glamorous whereas in Europe it mainly has the appeal of a late night bus. It's not the fault of the flight crews in my experience, but the seemingly interminable waiting about, queuing for check-in, for security, for boarding...
And don't get me started on ticket flexiblity!

VnV...

SLF
30th Jan 2001, 19:07
The premium for business fares over full fare economy on Club Europe is pretty low, generaly only £20-30 or so, and whilst you might get a middle "E" seat on a 737, they have been wound out a bit generally. Us Goldies are generally allocated A or C seat, with the reduced width of the B seat.

If you want cheap fares, book well in advance in economy, otherwise you might as well go Club. I'm not condoning the features/fares, just interpreting how things are.

Got an upgrade to Club on LHR-JFK last summer, now THAT's how to fly!

------------------
29A please!

The Sleeping Pax
1st Feb 2001, 10:20
Im my experience flying Business Class within Europe is a waste of money. With the exception of Swiss Air who give excellent service within Europe. Maybe the Europeans should take a few regional flights Business Class on Thai International to see how it should be done!The last few months I have flown from BKK to Hanoi, Brunei, Denpassar and Colombo. Perfect service for 2-3 hour flights!

------------------
Wake me up when we get there

strix uralensis
1st Feb 2001, 12:30
...excluding bwn all destinations operated with widebodies, right? that´s something you have to keep in mind while comparing south east asian carriers´ business classes to intra-european business classes.
s.

SEAT 81A
2nd Feb 2001, 09:50
I flew a few times LHR-AMS on BA, always got the A or C seat in the front which is slightly wider than normal

The long haul BA Business Class is as good as any Asian based airlines, but those within Europe really does not worth the premium.

Strix: Normally wide body jets are for long haul and that is why that have those better Business Class seats. On the other hand, the narrow bodies of SQ/MI and KA also have great Business Class seats (CX got no narrow body).

Flame
18th Feb 2001, 03:02
Having flown a lot in the past number of years with a "C" class ticket, I can honestly say that the standards and service on BA European flights is superb. It never ceases to amaze me how the staff at BA, can be so friendly and helpfull %99.9 of the time

With a choice, I will always fly BA.

I know others will have different opinions, but mine have been formed as a result of flying a lot with BA and other European airlines.

If you want Bad service and Food..try Aer Lingus

SLF
19th Feb 2001, 17:52
Flame - such a ringing endorsement, and no clue as to your employer...?

Have to agree though, rather BA than most!

------------------
29A please!

CargoOne
19th Feb 2001, 18:24
Agree with statement that flying in C-class on intra-Eropean routes is mostly spending the money for nothing. In many cases even the seats and seats' pitch are the same in C and Y class. Actually, most airlines offering even cognac to Y-class passengers, despite the fact that cognac on complimentary basis is claimed by airline to be a privilege of C-passengers.
Nevertheless the good shorthaul experince was achived on BA and Lauda flights. Especially I was surprised that about 70-75% of seats in BA B757 were wide leather-seats installed 2+3, while a lot of operators have no leather seats on their A32x, B737/757 fleet.

man in black
18th Mar 2001, 12:11
Flew an unnamed Euro-carrier (aka Alitalia)in C class. My seat was in the back row of C class (I thought). Got there and the fllight attendant realized I was actually in the first row of Y class. What did she do? Simply moved the curtain back one row!!! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

PaulDeGearup
19th Mar 2001, 14:23
If you are flying C class short haul you can expect to be given a seat which is at the front of the aircarft, is no wider than than those at the back and has no greater pitch than those at the back. For the princely sum of, often 3 times the Y fare, you get access to the lounge and the chance to get off first so that you can wait longer for your baggage at reclaim.

You might get a better evening meal in C, but BA and BM will provide the same breakfast to C and Y, the same bar (except champagne) and the same cabin crew. On a short Euro flt, don't waste the dosh on C; unless someone else is paying and you are claiming loyalty rewards.

Beware of buying a flexible full fare Y ticket tho which is ofetn as expensive, if not more so, than an APEX C ticket.

BRUpax
20th Mar 2001, 01:43
In all fairness BA and KLM do provide dedicated C class seats which are wider than Y class. The added advantage with KLM's seats is that they are not the flexi types as those of BA. Hence if you're flying on their B738 services during peak tourist rather than business periods you may well find a section of C class seats are allocated to the Y cabin! I discovered this on an AMS-MAD-AMS trip last year. I got one by chance on the way out and on the return I made sure to ask for one of the first rows in Y just in case. And yes I got one again. The comfortable seat together with what was a very good Y class meal made those flights perfect. I would have been really pi**ed off if I'd paid for a C class ticket!!