PDA

View Full Version : BBC film on SH - 2nd March 2010

AlanM
2nd Mar 2010, 11:25
Nice BBC film - quite comprehensive I thought - from Caroline Wyatt.

BBC News - Helicopters in action in Afghanistan (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/8544272.stm)

Good to see the boys and girls getting some good PR. You know you have been out of SH too long when you don't recognise anyone!

Keep up the good work boys and girls.:D

Old-Duffer
2nd Mar 2010, 19:30
SH is the future!!!

In the early 1960s, helicopters were reserved for old has beens; a graduate from Cranwell, who expressed a wish to fly helicopters, was even interviewed by the Commandant and warned about his career prospects etc.

Slowly things changed but the aircraft themselves were always of limited capability. Now the services have the people and the kit and they are - RN, Army and RAF - doing the business. Any young people who ask me about flying in the services always get pointed towards rotary wing.

O-D

Widger
2nd Mar 2010, 19:44
There have always been two services that have recognised the utility of RW and SH in particular. Korea, Suez, Falklands, Sierra Leone, Balkans, Al Fawr and now the Stan! There is only one Service that considers that RW stick-monkeys do not have the mental capacity to reach ultimate rank despite them being at the very pointy end...day in...day out!

Respect in the most genuine manner!!

herkman
2nd Mar 2010, 20:13
Better not let our ex CAS and now head of Australian defense hear that.

Was flying as captain of an UH1 as late as last year.

Regards

Col

Easy Street
3rd Mar 2010, 09:44
Widger,

There is only one Service that considers that RW stick-monkeys do not have the mental capacity to reach ultimate rank

I presume that you're referring to the RN, given that Gen Sir Richard Dannatt wore a set of AAC wings, and that a certain ACM Sir John Day (admittedly not the most popular RAF officer on this site) was a Wessex man through-and-through? So what is the most senior rank ever reached by an RW pilot in the RN?

Hummingfrog
3rd Mar 2010, 09:55
Must be the RN - don't forget the Ex 18 Sqn Boss who became Marshal of the Royal Air Force and Chief of the Defence Staff Sir Peter Harding. As a fellow ex 18 Sqn Wessex man I let him fly LHS in my 202 Sqn Seaking but then again it was his train set at the time:ok:

HF

teeteringhead
3rd Mar 2010, 18:59
a graduate from Cranwell, who expressed a wish to fly helicopters, was even interviewed by the Commandant and warned about his career prospects etc.... would that have been Jenner or Stables .....

.... right pair of failures they turned out to be ......;)