PDA

View Full Version : Now that is impressive....... fresh underwear anyone?

NutLoose
2nd Mar 2010, 11:08
YouTube - ??-33 ???????? ????? ?? ??????? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE6fJMSSl7U&feature=player_embedded)

Cannot believe he got away with it.

RotaryWingB2
2nd Mar 2010, 11:24
Clucking bells!

Gainesy
2nd Mar 2010, 11:26
The hook touched the deck between the 1 and 2 wires' pendants but I can't make out if the hookwires are actually rigged? If they were, he was lucky to miss them.

BOAC
2nd Mar 2010, 11:40
Hmm! If he had trapped the gear would have been thoroughly checked to limits:)

Gainesy
2nd Mar 2010, 13:08
...leaving a Sukhoi-shaped hole in the deck.:uhoh:

Jackonicko
2nd Mar 2010, 13:45
Could have been worse....

YouTube - SU-33 CARRIER ACCIDENT (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNi9FbJqzeo&feature=related)

nunquamparatus
2nd Mar 2010, 17:00
Watched them launch 5 in VERY short succession a while ago. Number 6 appeared to fail to unfold the wings, which would have made launching a little sporty. Think the pilot of this one is pretty pleased he has so many ergs coming out the back!

seafuryfan
2nd Mar 2010, 18:55
While we're enthusing about the Flanker, this vid has the Cobra manoeuvre filmed air-to-air at 2.20. Yikes!

YouTube - Su-33 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIvii_zNfr4&NR=1&feature=fvwp)

whowhenwhy
2nd Mar 2010, 19:15
They do make them pretty don't they? Much better than the blinkin ugly stuff that the sceptics are churning out.

Gainesy
3rd Mar 2010, 09:23
Pretty on the drawing board and at a distance, you could snag your clothes on the rough edges, Kamov being particularly good at this, or were.

chiglet
3rd Mar 2010, 21:31
Bags of [non vectored] thrust, ski jump and an 'ook. I wonder what the "range/payload" figures are.....

Ivan Rogov
4th Mar 2010, 19:39
Thought he was coming into the hover, I bet he drinks Carling Black Label!

Impiger
5th Mar 2010, 07:05
Cold power go around too - that is impressive!

Actually the high AOA and near miss didn't impress that much - maybe I've been to too many airshows, or flown with too many cack handed nose gunners:hmm:

RotaryWingB2
5th Mar 2010, 20:08
I'm betting he was pooing himself more on his next approach than on that one...

Agaricus bisporus
5th Mar 2010, 21:38
In Jacko's video what's the story on the 2nd aircraft, and the splash behind it? Surely not the following aircraft - wouldn't it have been waved off?

Presumably the first fella had closed his throttles before assured of a stop so unable to do a bolter - is that correct?

Easy Street
6th Mar 2010, 00:08
Agaricus,

If you watch very closely you can that the Flanker has caught a wire as normal - the hook is seen pulled horizontal behind the aircraft. The pilot would have felt the deceleration and closed the throttles. Unfortunately for him the wire breaks (you can just about see that too) and he's too fast to brake, too slow to bolt. No way out - that's carrier aviation for you!

SirToppamHat
6th Mar 2010, 07:29
Agaricus

I don't think the video is clear enough to be absolutely certain, but I think the splash you are referring to is the ejection seat hitting the water. It is well beyond the aircraft impact point.

You can see the ejection and the pilot's chute opening, and the splash seems to me to be in the same area as he is coming down in.

Edited to add:

Sorry Agaricus, I mis-read your post. In the second one ISTR something similar coming up before and it was part of the catapult system (though I imagine it could also be part of the aircraft?)

STH

Ivan Rogov
6th Mar 2010, 14:46
That's what I thought initially, like the bridals used up to the 70/80s? But that ship doesn't have catapult launch system. Also the second aircraft has the arrestor hook down, which I would think only happens when trying to land.