PDA

View Full Version : Degree via kingston and cabair or direct cabair

iranair777
2nd Mar 2010, 10:27
I know these sort of threads are very common here and I have looked around, but not found exact answer for my situation.

I am currently getting ready to join Kingston uni this september on the pilot training course. this course, two years of it, will be done with cabair at bournemouth. What I'm wondering is would it be cheaper going directly to cabair and going into one a first officer modular course or going via kingston through the degree option?

I know both ways I will still get the same training but what about the degree? does the degree have any extra advantages or studies than just more of a chance of getting a job?

thanks

also, I'm going to be partly funded by my parents, and know I will need a loan from the bank, but will they really support a student like me who doesn't even have a job? I'm hoping to pay everything back once I start earning money. (i know, if only everything was that simple. I feel nieve sometimes :rolleyes:)

ShaunLanc
2nd Mar 2010, 10:36
In short, no. The degree will give you no advantage going for a pilot job, it may give you a small advantage going for any other aviation job but not pilot.

I looked into this course and the degree just seemed to be there for the sake of a degree. Most other aviation jobs you can get without a degree (with the exception of engineering)

Im not sure on the prices but if i remember the degree/cabair option was more expensive then just going through cabair.

Have you thought of doing a degree other then aviation related? With the current climate in aviation after your training you might not get a job and a degree in another topic might be something to fall back on. Also you dont want to be getting into debt at the moment. Read these forums for a while and you'll get the feel of timing is everything. In two years they could be crying out for pilots, or the situation could of got alot worse and you'll have mounting debt, no job and no degree to fall back on to go into another career. Just a thought, goodluck whatever you do!

Groundloop
2nd Mar 2010, 11:35
Is it only a foundation degree and not a full Honours degree? A lot of employers still don't know what a foundation degree is.

mad_jock
2nd Mar 2010, 11:43
All these aviation degrees with pilot studies add on's are virtually useless for about everything.

It makes not one bit of difference if you want to be a pilot.

For any other job you might as well have a degree in Beckham Fashion study's they are virtually all from Breeze Block Uni's and arn't worth the paper they are written on unfortunately.

The only advantage I can see for them is the fact that for some parts of the course you don't have to pay VAT.

But as you will be paying through the nose anyway for Cab Air you won't see any benefit compared to organising your own modualr training through smaller schools.

O and most employeers do know what a foundation degree is. Thanks to MacDonalds giving them out they are more than aware. Quit how they are meant to fit in with all the other degrees I don't really know. The only purpose I can see for them is so virtually everyone can say "I have a degree" but as virtually everyone has them they arn't worth the paper they are written on.

Angleofattack
9th Mar 2010, 13:48
Iranair777,

The advantages of doing the Kingston University ‘Foundation Degree in Aviation Studies for Commercial Pilot Training’ are :
1. It is less expensive and quicker than a conventional degree followed by a modular ATPL course.
2. It gives more time for students to develop a greater knowledge and understanding of both the PPL and the ATPL the subject material. As well a very good grounding in Maths and Engineering Science (Physics).
3. Improved analytical and presentational skills will increase the probability of success in interviews for Airline jobs.
4. Payment of ground school tuition fees is delayed under the national university tuition fees scheme.
5. Possessing a degree increases employment options both before gaining a First Officer position within an airline, or if you lose your license at some time in the future.

The disadvantages are :
1. It is more expensive and longer than a standard modular ATPL course. The flying costs will be the same, but PPL theory, and ATPL theory costs are greater, due to the greater amount of teaching required and that it is spread over approximately 15 months.
2. It is less academically rigorous than a typical BEng or BSc in subjects such as Aeronautical engineering, so it is not suitable for students who wish to seek employment in aircraft engineering or design.

The teaching for the Foundation Degree is delivered by a team of experienced ATPL Groundschool Instructors, as is the modular ATPL theory at Cabair.
The optional 3rd Year is delivered at Kingston University in London, to complete the degree up to a full honours degree.
As Head of the ATPL Groundschool at EPTA (Cabair Bournemouth) I am in a unique position to be able to compare both the modular ATPL teaching and the Foundation degree teaching, and hence the products of both.
In short, if you wish to complete your training towards being a commercial pilot as quickly and as cheaply as possible, take the modular route. Cost tends to be the priority of modular ATPL students.

If you wish take more time over your training, have a considerably greater knowledge about pilot theory subjects, and want to able to research and present subjects very effectively, then do the Foundation Degree possibly followed by the top-up honours degree at Kingston University. A greater interest in the academic side of pilot theory tends to be to priority of the Kingston degree students.

As for employers not knowing what a foundation degree is, Kingston University have been doing this type of degree for several years with external training providers, many of whom are on the engineering side of large airlines, with well documented student success in finding employment. So this is certainly not the case. If you think that they still won’t know what a foundation degree is, you can always detail it on your CV.
Most of the foundation degree students have/will go on to get a full honours degree at Kingston University anyway, 75% of the first group of students going from foundation degree to full honours 3rd year.

Will it increase your chances of employment as a pilot ?
Doing this degree cannot possibly reduce them. As result of doing this degree, you will undoubtedly will able to present yourself better in an interview situation, and have superior knowledge to answer the typical airline interview technical questions. Also having a degree is becoming more of a prerequisite for many types of jobs, simply because it enables employers to reduce the number of and yet increase the quality of applicants.

Typically, modular students can tell you what the answer to a question is, but the Kingston degree students can explain why it is the answer.

Please feel free to give me a call anytime if you would like any more information to enable you to make an informed decision.

Paul Kay
CGI EPTA (Cabair Bournemouth)