PDA

View Full Version : Question on transatlantic flights

Nicholas49
2nd Mar 2010, 07:46
Hi

I read last week that a BA flight bound for the US was turned back to Heathrow once it was over the Atlantic due to a 'security discrepancy' on passenger details.

It got me wondering. If you are more than halfway into a transatlantic flight and the US authorities then refuse the aircraft permission to enter US air space, what options are available to the captain? I am assuming there would now be insufficient fuel to return to the UK? And presumably your 'alternate airport' is also in the US, so that's not a possibility either. So would you land in Canada? Greenland? I appreciate there's no set answer but I'm interested to know how you handle such an event.

Thanks as always for your answers
Nick

B314
4th Mar 2010, 00:23
It won't answer your question directly but until you get a better reply this might be interesting.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger/52193-tale-diverted-delta-flight-canada-9-11-a.html

The SSK
5th Mar 2010, 08:26
On 9/11 when the US closed its airspace, 225 US-bound flights diverted to Canada. Most of the transatlantics went into Halifax, Gander & St John. Google/Wiki 'Operation Yellow Ribbon' for details.