PDA

View Full Version : Diffrence between jet Ranger and Long Ranger

jiggyman524
1st Mar 2010, 17:02
I have flown long rangers but never flown Jet rangers . planning to fly one for a company soon . What differences should i expect . Like , start up , engine power , instruments etc .All information appreciated

GoodGrief
1st Mar 2010, 18:04
There are about 9 different variants of the 206, not counting Agustas and ex-mil.

Different engines, two different fuel systems, a couple of different gauges, etc.

So, yes, you have to RTFM.
Expect less power and more vibration.

Gomer Pylot
1st Mar 2010, 19:27
Very little difference. It's smaller, so there is less inertia, so you have to be slightly quicker on the pedals. The engine is smaller, true, but the MGW is lower, so the perceived power is about the same. The start is a little different in most cases, because the start isn't modulated, you just take the throttle directly to the idle detent. Other than that, it's pretty much just a 206. For the FAA, they're all the same, and if you're qualified in one 206 model, you're qualified in all of them. Read the checklist, or the RFM if you have one, and it shouldn't be a big difference.

JTobias
1st Mar 2010, 20:17
Hi

I dont fly a Long Ranger but I do fly the Jet Ranger.
I believe that on startup on the long ranger you have to modulate the throttle to control fuel flow manually. You don't (usually) have to do this on the Jet Ranger particularly if fitted with the Bendix FCU.

Joel:ok:

RotaryWingB2
1st Mar 2010, 20:43
Didn't one have a horse and an Indian friend? :}

I'll get my own taxi thanks.

FH1100 Pilot
2nd Mar 2010, 12:44
Start-up is pretty much the same. Motor to 15%, open throttle until it lights off, monitor from there. Don't try to modulate, it'll flame out(1).
There is, typically, no GEN OUT caution light.
There is only one light for both fuel boost pumps.
Fuel gauge is in gallons.
If you figure on 30 gph fuel burn you will have plenty of reserve.
There is no noticeable shift in c.g. with fuel burn.
You can (inadvertently, of course) leave the fuel valve on without draining the battery (a boost pump is not "hot-wired" to the battery).
Anti-ice device utilizes an electric motor. If you're in the habit of checking it you can be sure the motor will fail in the anti-ice ON position.
Passengers can sit anywhere they want- it really doesn't matter.
It's slower than an L-model (100 knots) - you'll think you're dragging an anchor.
Slows down quicker to approach speeds than an L-model.
Lateral cyclic is less sensitive.
Pedals seem to be more sensitive (and don't have the big weights attached to them on the underside).
Weaker yaw stability in cruise flight.
Landing gear is (much) narrower, less "springy." It'll seem strange, like the skid is right under your butt.
Door latches can be one of three different types (depending on airframe age/modifications/upgrades).1) Some C-20B fuel controls act in a way that is startling for first-time users. On these, when you light it off the TOT will suddenly rocket for the moon only to "magically" stop right at the redline. You see the rate of rise and in your mind you KNOW it's not going to stop...but it does...somehow. Until you get used to how YOUR ship starts it can be quite a learning (read: heart-stopping) process.

When starting a 206B with a PROPERLY TUNED fuel control, you should be able to go right FLT IDLE upon lightoff and the engine will start without any intervention on your part - hot or cold. If you find that the TOT consistently goes up into the transient zone, then you should have that corrected for it is a discrepancy.

2) The B-model seems noticeably rougher in all flight regimes than the L-model, due to the lack of nodamatic mount for the transmission, of course. The B-model always seems like it's "hammering" along in flight compared to a LongRanger. Much more of a perceived "two-per." Hard to get used to. The B-model also has a slightly more "sporty" feel to it...less rubbery than the L, again because of the different trans mount. (Having said that, the B will never be mistaken for an H-500.)

That's about all I can think of at the moment. The B-model is a fun little scooter. It's much lighter than the L-, so as others have mentioned there is less total aircraft mass/inertia to deal with. It's not so bad going from an L- to a B-, more of a problem going the other way, I'd think. Once you get comfortable in both, there's not a lot of real difference between them.

Enjoy!

Vizsla
2nd Mar 2010, 13:28
Either can be fired up if the ignitor goes U/S by stuffing burning newspaper up the pipe.......a trick I witnessed by the late MSR

Paul Cantrell
6th Mar 2010, 10:29
Another difference in the L versus Bs I've flown is that the L models typically are torque limited while the B is usually temp limited, especially in the summer.