PDA

View Full Version : Experience requirements for part 66

A Bunker
1st Mar 2010, 12:56
Folks can anybody help without directing me to various sites or UK CAA publications,
Need to know : after completion of an approved Part 147 program(2400 hrs) but not passing all the module exams,(waiting for at least 90 days )
Can I now begin to log the required maintenance experience?...........ie does the 2years maintenance experience count even if I have modules or partial modules outstanding.

Thanks
Archie

Lear_doctor
1st Mar 2010, 13:22
I believe you can log experience time now, you don’t have to hold any qualifications to gain experience, it just has to be gained within a certain timeframe of licence application.

From EASA66 - The experience requirements

66.A.30 Experience requirements

(a) An applicant for an aircraft maintenance licence shall have acquired:
1. for category A and subcategories B1.2 and B1.4:

(i) three years of practical maintenance experience on operating aircraft, if the applicant has no previous relevant
technical training; or

(ii) two years of practical maintenance experience on operating aircraft and completion of training considered
relevant by the competent authority as a skilled worker, in a technical trade; or

(iii) one year of practical maintenance experience on operating aircraft and completion of a Part-147 approved
basic training course.

2. for category B2 and subcategories B1.1 and B1.3:

(i) five years of practical maintenance experience on operating aircraft if the applicant has no previous relevant
technical training; or

(ii) three years of practical maintenance experience on operating aircraft and completion of training considered
relevant by the competent authority as a skilled worker, in a technical trade; or

(iii) two years of practical maintenance experience on operating aircraft and completion of a Part -147 approved
basic training course.

3. for category C with respect to large aircraft:

(i) three years of experience exercising category B1.1, B1.3 or B2 privileges on large aircraft or as Part-145 B1.1,

B1.3 or B2 support staff, or, a combination of both; or

(ii) five years of experience exercising category B1.2 or B1.4 privileges on large aircraft or as Part-145 B1.2 or

B1.4 support staff, or a combination of both; or

4. for category C with respect to non large aircraft:
three years of experience exercising category B1 or B.2 privileges on non large aircraft or as Part-145 B1 or B.2
support staff, or a combination of both; or

5. for category C obtained through the academic route:
an applicant holding an academic degree in a technical discipline, from a university or other higher educational
institution recognised by the competent authority, three years of experience working in a civil aircraft maintenance
environment on a representative selection of tasks directly associated with aircraft maintenance including
six months of observation of base maintenance tasks.

(b) An applicant for an extension to an aircraft maintenance licence shall have a minimum civil aircraft maintenance
experience requirement appropriate to the additional category or subcategory of licence applied for as defined in

Appendix IV to this Part.

(c) For category A, B1 and B2 the experience must be practical which means being involved with a representative cross
section of maintenance tasks on aircraft.
28.11.2003 EN Official Journal of the European Union L 315/75

(d) For all applicants, at least one year of the required experience must be recent maintenance experience on aircraft of
the category/subcategory for which the initial aircraft maintenance licence is sought. For subsequent category/subcategory
additions to an existing aircraft maintenance licence, the additional recent maintenance experience required
may be less than one year, but must be at least three months. The required experience must be dependent upon the
difference between the licence category/subcategory held and applied for. Such additional experience must be typical
of the new licence category/subcategory sought.

(e) Notwithstanding paragraph (a), aircraft maintenance experience gained outside a civil aircraft maintenance environment
shall be accepted when such maintenance is equivalent to that required by this Part as established by the
competent authority. Additional experience of civil aircraft maintenance shall, however, be required to ensure understanding
of the civil aircraft maintenance environment.

regards

The Doc

ProfEng
1st Mar 2010, 15:18
after completion of an approved Part 147 program(2400 hrs) but not passing all the module exams,(waiting for at least 90 days ) Can I now begin to log the required maintenance experience?...........ie does the 2years maintenance experience count even if I have modules or partial modules outstanding.

In a word, yes.

A Bunker
2nd Mar 2010, 05:23
Thanks for the honest and short answer Prof.
I was under the same impression.
Do not mean to second guess you but, is that written down anywhere that you know of?
EASA / UK CAA …….etc
Thanks

RotaryWingB2
2nd Mar 2010, 08:45
ELGD | Personnel Licensing | Safety Regulation (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=177&pagetype=68&gid=777)

This document should be any potential aircraft engineers first port of call, should they have a question about licensing. (CAA style). :ok:

A Bunker
2nd Mar 2010, 12:33
Thanks RotarywingB2,

Had used the document before.

On page 48 section D, D2.1, it says

"The approved course must be followed by a minimum of 2 years practical maintenance experiance to consolidate the training recieved."

It implies the course must be completed. No where does it say that all the modules must be passed. or am I reading it wrong???

Anyone??

Archie

RotaryWingB2
2nd Mar 2010, 12:52
I doubt you can complete a Part 147 course without completing all the modules. If so, there is something wrong with the course/provider.

Anyway, when you come to apply you must send off your logbook with the required amount of experience and your module pass certificates.

Seems to me that you should also get a 'course completed' certificate from the Part 147 organisation, to allow the CAA to give you the reduced experience requirements.

Just what I've gathered from knowing a few Part 147 students, I'm a self starter.

Lear_doctor
2nd Mar 2010, 13:06
Archie

With respect your over thinking this. Just start logging your work and in two years time apply for your licence. If the CAA have an issue with your start date they will write back and tell you, after which you will have to wait a bit longer (nothing lost).

Alternatively (and more likely I believe) the CAA will accept that the date you started gaining experience was 2 years ago, and will proceed to concentrate on the content of your application

regards

The Doc