PDA

View Full Version : LAME position

airturnback
1st Mar 2010, 08:08
Hello prunners,

I am new to this area and I have a few queries.
I am a Singaporean who is interested to join a licensed aircraft maintenance engineer apprenticeship program. I am aware that only SIAEC & ST Aviation offer such programs. Please correct me if there are more such organisations.

I've checked with SIAEC and they are not hiring in the near future. May I ask when is the intake for ST Aviation? Does anyone knows who I shd send my CV to at ST Aviation? The website does not have a clear outline of the apprenticeship program.

is the training bond still 7 years? What are the job prospects for a LAME in Asia? Is there any age limit to be an apprentice, I am not that young.

Thank you all for any information to share.

sevenforeseven
9th Mar 2010, 07:56
Nothing in UK.

sarius
9th Mar 2010, 13:12
If you are a degree holder, forget about joining as an apprentice. You can find much better prospects elsewhere. If you're not, then think about your age as it does play a part. The total bond period for ST is 8 years and the amount of money you have to pay back if you decide to break the bond and leave can be as high as $68k. In other words, once you sign on the dotted line, they own you. The pay is low and the work is hard.

They are recruiting young local guys because
1. they are MUCH x 5 cheaper than foreign LAEs
2. they are bonded so it's impossible to leave unless you strike TOTO

you can consider joining if
1. you are still young....early 20s
2. you don't mind the LOW pay
3. you don't mind the hard work
4. you don't mind coming into contact with all sorts of carcinogenic chemicals and substances
5. you don't mind studying for exams
6. you are not married, have no kids, no commitment, etc

s02193980
5th Apr 2010, 12:56
I join the company few year ago. I am adviceing u that the pay is very low. there do not have a very good trg program. The enviroment is horrible. Once u sign the contract they own you.................................

Stay away from ST aero eng

TURIN
5th Apr 2010, 22:21
Nothing in UK.

Not true. BA are taking on apprentii this year. :ok:

Chief Erwin
6th Apr 2010, 01:40
What sarius said......to true.

sarius
6th Apr 2010, 17:24
And don't take it as a guaranteed thing when they tell you that you'll get your licence in X yrs... because it's NOT. It can be delayed for whatever reason or "unforseen circumstances", without so much as a clause they allows you to break the bond and not pay a cent.

Most of them usually leave the company when they've come to the end of the bond period. But the management isn't worried because they've already prepared another batch of cheap labourers who will just step in as replacements.

naginata
15th Apr 2010, 12:31
I think BA engineering is going to start a new batch of graduate engineering apprenticeship soon ............ please check with BA engineering ?

Saint Jack
19th Apr 2010, 06:43
airturnback: Arrange to have a chat with Hawker Pacific at Seletar West Camp, they don't have a formal apprenticeship programme but they have been known to accept people in your position. Also, talk to ATTC (they have a hangar very close to Hawker Pacific) and see what courses they can suggest for you. I agree with most of the other replies here - stay away from STAe if at all possible.