PDA

View Full Version : ROC Nuclear Bunker Peak District

green granite
1st Mar 2010, 06:49
Up for sale on fleabay with all mod cons. :E

ROC Nuclear Bunker - Master Post - Peak District on eBay (end time 07-Mar-10 23:08:08 GMT) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ROC-Nuclear-Bunker-Master-Post-Peak-District_W0QQitemZ330408714804QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_HG_Prope rty_RL?hash=item4cede4e234)

make good holiday retreat. :E

scarecrow450
1st Mar 2010, 08:26
But bloody freezing down there, even in summer !

Non Emmett
1st Mar 2010, 09:54
A well informed friend of mine advises ROC Posts have sold for between £5 K and £25K. They cost £5K to build in the 60's. Significant numbers have come up for sale over the years. St, Agnes Post in Cornwall sold for £12800 and across Devon and Cornwall they have sold for between £8/15K.

NutLoose
1st Mar 2010, 13:56
Bit of a flawed design, note the outside toilet, item 4 :p

http://i.ebayimg.com/11/!Bn!TuvwBGk~$(KGrHqEH-CUEtfHUMSQQBLhuFshL+!~~_12.GIF

barnstormer1968
1st Mar 2010, 15:43
I saw this advert just before logging in to PPRuNe.
If you thought the idea of an outside toilet was silly (yes I know it's a joke), the the description of the bunker is just plain stupidity.

While I accept that the UNDERGROUND bunker could be a master one, and is in good condition, mentioning it has good views is just mental............It's underground with no windows for goodness sake:}

If you think I'm being a pedant, would you have chosen to stand outside admiring the views in the balloon had gone up?:E

papajuliet
1st Mar 2010, 22:09
The point must be that the good views are from outside and the seller is trying to point that out as an attractive feature.All ROC posts were sited in positions which gave sweeping views of the surrounding area [although some had less extensive views than others].

ShyTorque
1st Mar 2010, 22:15
Might bid on that. It'd be a good place to be when the mother-in-law imminent 4 minute warning sounds.

Pledge20
1st Mar 2010, 22:21
I think you would be surprised at the number of bunkers built and that are still in use (albeit a different kind of use).

I remember a large underground communications bunker at Broughton North of Preston, being sold in the 1990's.

It is now a Veterinary centre.

I also had to attend Emergency Planning meetings with the LCC. which used the old Cold war Bunker at Lea, near Preston.

This was a major underground installation with all the Maps of the area with blast and destruction radii.

Projected radiation coverage etc with wind calculations.

All makes to stop and think if the real thing would have occurred.

It was comforting to know that only the invited elite would have
survived.

spekesoftly
1st Mar 2010, 22:34
All this quibbling over good views! The bunker has its own periscope - see item 2 in post #4. ;)

racedo
1st Mar 2010, 22:38
When the baloon goes up do you want to be stuck underground knowing everything is decimated or down the pub raising a glass ?

spekesoftly
1st Mar 2010, 22:53
admiring the views in the balloon

I think he plans to be in it!

rab-k
2nd Mar 2010, 09:20
There are over 1500 ROC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Observer_Corps) posts in the UK, but not all of them in as good nick as that for sale on Ebay. (As a bolt-hole for when the M.I.L comes callling, even the most run down example would suffice. :E)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e5/ROC_Post_%28Killearn%29.jpg/800px-ROC_Post_%28Killearn%29.jpg

Martin the Martian
2nd Mar 2010, 09:42
As a former ROC member, I have to say that I am very impressed at how well this post has been kept. Even when the Corps was in full swing it was a nightmare to keep the walls damp free, especially with the supposedly anti-fungal paint issued from stores. As I recall, most local posts went to the nearest building supplies warehouse and bought decent stuff.

And we also had interior toilets. No expense spared, I can tell you!

Mind you, at the current bidding price, I am disappointed that they are not offering postal insurance...

cornish-stormrider
3rd Mar 2010, 09:42
So that is what the bunker on the hill where I used to live was. It also explains it's position with views south west towards St Mawgan....

I agree - if the balloon went up that far I'd go and sit outside and watch the suns come up, Beer, wife and pets all round so no suffering.

If you want something to think about try watching "Threads" or "The day after" on youtoob. Scary stuff. I also found an interesting site by the Greenham protesters.....

I just wondered whether or not the GAMA site was the decoy - I could have sworn I saw what looked like a TEL years ago down west.....

There is a lot of good reports on stuff on a site www.28dayslater.co.uk (http://www.28dayslater.co.uk)

have a lookie lookie

Blacksheep
3rd Mar 2010, 11:04
It was comforting to know that only the invited elite would have
survived.I was always amused at NBC lectures by the assumption that the government and high command, having been safely secure in their protective bunkers, would be able to run the country in the aftermath. In reality, the mass of survivors - both civilian and military personnel - who had been abandoned to take their chances above ground, would be unlikely to feel cooperative towards those who had hunkered down in their "by invitation only" bunkers. :hmm:

I know for a fact that if I had survived a nuclear attack, I would have legged it back home to see what remained of my family, taking with me as much arms and ammunition as I could carry - and I would not have been alone. The aftermath would have been a fight for survival in which Queen and country would have to take their own chances.

cornish-stormrider
3rd Mar 2010, 11:07
I read an interesting note that the survivalist movement in the states have recognised that ammunition will become a defacto currency when the world ends. ordinary money will become worthless...

I'd like to see Gordy tax them bullets...

Blacksheep
3rd Mar 2010, 11:17
He already does. Have you seen the price of .308 Winchester lately? The ammo costs me more than the petrol on a shoot these days. :(

He even rakes in VAT on the re-loading kit. :uhoh:

Pontius Navigator
3rd Mar 2010, 14:54
In the early 60s, post strike, we were told to contact the nearest embassy and phone home for instructions. By the late 60s that was no longer in the SOP.

J.A.F.O.
3rd Mar 2010, 22:00
I spent an exercise in one in the eighties and it was far more comfortable than anything the RAF ever offered me for TACEVAL.