PDA

View Full Version : Light Heli Type Certification

tony 1969
28th Feb 2010, 08:36
Hi,
Was wondering where I could find a brief list of requirements for type certification for light heli's.
Dont want to get too technical just a basic list will suffice.
Cheers and safe flying
Tony

Curtis E Carr
28th Feb 2010, 12:14
You do not state under which jurisdiction you wish to operate so I have assumed that EASA will apply.

For Very Light Rotorcraft, CS-VLR Amdt 1 (http://www.easa.eu.int/ws_prod/g/doc/Agency_Mesures/Certification_Spec/MERGED_v2.pdf) is the certification specification.

For small rotorcraft, CS-27 Amdt 2 (http://www.easa.eu.int/ws_prod/g/doc/Agency_Mesures/Certification_Spec/CS-27%20Amdt%202%20final.pdf) is the applicable document.

tony 1969
28th Feb 2010, 14:02
Yes I am in europe
Thank you Curtis:ok:

Its a bit technical though, was looking for a list that puts it in 'laymans' terms, which I have seen before but cant remember where.:ugh:

Shawn Coyle
28th Feb 2010, 15:47
Tony1969:
There's an Advisory Circular on the subject (check the FAA website for AC 27-2, which I believe is the latest version).
But none of it is in layman's terms - believe me. I'm an experienced engineering test pilot, and it took me over a year working as a certification test pilot at Transport Canada to begin to understand the subtle and very complex nature of the certification requirements. Even then, there were things I didn't understand until much later.
I'm curious to know why you want to know the certification requirements. Not a cheap, quick or easy process.

tony 1969
1st Mar 2010, 07:21
Hi. I appreciate its not an easy process,
It was prompted by a high time fixed wing student that is converting and was curious as to why, for instance on the 300, there are no manoeuvring speeds stated, and we were after more info on what the aircraft goes through for certification.
I am sure I have seen a list in the past that was basic, ie turns demonstrated at max gross weight to a certain 'g', hover controllability at max gross and a certain DA in 17 knots wind, etc
Tony

Shawn Coyle
2nd Mar 2010, 11:01
Just a couple of things that are different - No VY speed, no maneuvering speed.
No VY speed, because it can be zero if you can climb vertically from an out of ground effect hover and because if you can't do that climb, the speed for best angle of climb would probably be below the airspeed that can be sensed by the pitot system.
No maneuvering speed because the rotor can't produce enough sustained thrust to overstress the airframe.
If I put my rapidly failing mind to it, there would probably be other differences from fixed wing. Sadly there aren't enough certification requirements that address purely helicopter issues properly.