PDA

View Full Version : North Atlantic Track System

CitationsRock4me
27th Feb 2010, 23:09
What type of questions have you had asked during an interview about NATS? i'm looking at flying internationally. thanks!

galaxy flyer
28th Feb 2010, 00:02
Not in an interview, but:

Q: You ETD from KBOS is 2200Z, what time determines whether or not you will be on the tracks?

A: Your time crossing 30W. If your ETE to 30W was 3+15, you would be on the tracks as the effective time for the eastbound system is 01Z-08Z.

Q: Do you need an oceanic clearance for the NATS
A: Yes, but there are radio out procedures.

Q: How many long range navigation systems are required?
A: 2 INS or 2 FMC w/IRS or GPS sensors.

Q: Westbound over the UK, you go radio out and cannot contact anyone; according to the Irish AIP which airport should you divert to?
A: Shannon

Q: What distance off-track should offset for an emergency descent?
A: 15 nm according to Doc 7030 for all oceanic areas.

Q: On a random route at FL 430, you lose an engine and must drift down and divert to Keflavik. With regards to lateral navigation, what should you do before descending?
A: Align with the nearest NAT route before offsetting and descending. This will prevent you from crossing tracks.

Q: Your ETA for the next fix has changed by 3 minutes, do you have to revise your estimate?
A: Yes, the requirement is to revise if the difference is 3 or more minutes.

Q: Are you taking to a Flight Service Station or to the Oceanic Control Center when you make an HF radio call to Gander or Shanwick?
A: A radio station (FSS) not the Control. The meaning of this is that the radio operator must relay your requests and await a response from the OAC. Be patient.

Q: Approaching Lisbon, how far from the Santa Maria boundary must you request your oceanic clearance?
A: By the Portugal AIP, 20 no later than 20 minutes prior.

Q: You are on a random route from the Seattle to Prestwick. Do you require an oceanic clearance? From whom?
A: Yes. From Island Control before leaving Canadian airspace.

That's a start.

GF

CitationsRock4me
28th Feb 2010, 02:38
Thank you for your time!!!!! Very much appreciated! :ok:

no sig
28th Feb 2010, 09:12
Documents (http://www.paris.icao.int/documents_open/show_file.php?id=262)

MNPS Manual Available at the link above