PDA

View Full Version : XP File and Folder Permissions

27th Feb 2010, 23:02
XP File and Folder Permissions are something I've always tried to stay well away from having looked at Technet and MS KB and being saddened by the lack of examples and overcooked with theory papers.

I would be most grateful if someone could point me towards a good tutorial regarding XP File and Folder Permissions. Not just a discussion of what they are and the relevant rules but something that actually shows how to set up permissions for a range of scenarios.

Many thanks

PS: I have searched and searched and searched .. honest!

Simonta
28th Feb 2010, 12:10
Hi Cron

If you don't understand Windows permissions, it might help of you explain why you're trying to learn. Is it for education or do you have a problem to solve?

It's a big subject and if you're not a geek, it can appear intimidating. Starting from one of the above may help folks to guide you. In general, you only need to futz around with permissions if you are fixing a problem or hacking something.

What's you need?

Cheers

28th Feb 2010, 14:27
Thanks Simonta, I do have a particular problem to solve and here it is (standalone machine not a Domain environment):

I have a folder called 'Test', and let's say it is empty at the moment. 'Test' is not a subfolder and does not contain subfolders.

I have a group set up which has persons A, B and C added to it. Let's say the group is called 'Test group'

I want establish folder permissions on 'Test' such that:

'A' can add files to 'Test', delete his own files from 'Test' and edit his files in 'Test'. But 'A' cannot delete/edit or view the files of B and C

'B' can add files to 'Test', delete his own files from 'Test' and edit his files in 'Test'. But 'B' cannot delete/edit or view the files of A and C

'C' can add files to 'Test', delete his own files from 'Test' and edit his files in 'Test'. But 'C' cannot delete/edit or view the files of A and B

I'm familiar with the mechanics of setting Standard permissions and Special permissions. All files are just text files. I want to achive this without setting permissions on the text files, only on the 'Test' folder.

Many thanks

Saab Dastard
28th Feb 2010, 15:54
What you want cannot be done in a single folder.

You should create sub-folders under "test" for each of A, B and C.

SD