PDA

View Full Version : Pax Airways

justapax
13th Aug 2000, 03:36
BigJETS coined "PaxAir" in the "what do us pax really want" thread (which must be heading for some kind of record as the longest-lived thread). Hmm, maybe not so far-fetched...

I have posted in Jet Blast about some Super Connies which are for sale, at a price which I can possibly just about afford.

I'd love to bring one over here just to have a Connie in European skies; although it was an American aircraft, it was all part of the post-War "romance of flying", and one of the first passenger aircraft which flew paying pax across the Atlantic on a regular basis.

I'll not repeat everything in the post (see thread Super Constellation/"Starliner" in JB) but I am looking for ideas as to how this dream might become a reality. SLF like you and me are IMHO as likely to have bright ideas on this as the professionals.

justapax

pax domina
13th Aug 2000, 21:33
Well, I've always been attracted to the (perhaps inaccurately perceived) romance of things vintage . . . particularly old films. I enjoy the glimpse of a civilization that is just as much "Gone With the Wind" as the one Margaret Mitchell wrote about.

However, somehow my little pea brain would think, "Hmmmm, nostalgic ride on vintage train safer than nostalgic ride on vintage aircraft (no matter how impeccably maintained)."

I'm old enough to remember when air travel was still special, and a bit of a privilege. (See also numerous threads on air rage, increasing number of yobbos on a/c, etc. Hell, *I'm* carrying large plastic twist ties on my next long haul flight!) I'm old enough to have flown on (first incarnation) Braniff, Ozark (what?!! you cry - and as an unaccompanied minor, to boot) and Piedmont. And to have had meals on proper plates with metal cutlery (not counting most recent flights on Midwest Express). Mom still has a tiny fork papa pinched off a TransPacific NWA flight, when the airline was still called Northwest Orient!

I'll never have the money to charter one myself (and I don't live on your side of the pond), but with sufficient confidence in the operation, I would be game for a pax seat on a nostalgia flight. Just expect me to show up in vintage clothes of the proper era, and please have the flight and cabin crew attired in period costumes as well!

Also, sadly, several years back plans for a short run vintage rail journey in the Orlando area were scrapped because of exhorbitant insurance costs. And it has only gotten worse as the above mentioned yobbos - I'll come right out and say it - *white trash* (and they exist everywhere, not just in the Southern US) use ********** lawyers to file groundless suits. Insurance companies find it cheaper to settle than defend, the legalised extortion is successful, and insurance rates go up for everyone . . . but I'm getting off the subject.

I'd vote for a total "back in time" experience, down to the decor of the departure lounge and the uniforms of the crew. Hope this helps. :)

[This message has been edited by pax domina (edited 13 August 2000).]

BigJETS
14th Aug 2000, 05:26
Glad to see you keeping the idea alive Justapax. "AirCafe-Vintaage" Keep the routes short though. I dont think anyone will fly 20 >bumpy< hrs across the Atlantic anymore. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif Or maybe I'm wrong.

------------------
Rotate, Please! airliner/in-flight photo site (http://members.tripod.com/bigjets/flightline/)

[This message has been edited by BigJETS (edited 14 August 2000).]

justapax
16th Aug 2000, 02:35
Response (mostly by e-mail) has been amazing, it seems there are 100's of Connies in various stages of decay around the globe. I've also discovered the rate at which they guzzle Avgas. Yikes! I begin to understand why those who preserve Connies tend to have them as static exhibits most of the time. And I thought the 27-litre Merlin engine (as used on the Spitfire) was thirsty.

Well, I suspected I was being a bit naive... Sigh...

For pax domina - for the authentic decor of the departure lounge, try Shannon. Unless some philistine has modernised the place since I was last there (probably 10 years ago now) it positively reeked of the first days of transatlantic pax flights - someone ought to slap a preservation order on the remaining 1940's - 50's bits of the place quick. Brussels also hearks back to the heroic days of flying, but rather more self-consciously. Nonetheless, it's a brave effort, compared with most airports which seem to seek to stamp out any human touch, historical interest, or national personality.
Like multinational-chain hotels, airports are places where if you wake up suddenly it can take you a while to work out if you are in Nairobi, Heathrow, or Pittsburgh. I cannot see how this adds to the enjoyment of flying. Or staying in international hotels.

The original uniforms are going fast. I think Aeroflot have now gone for something more typical of the modern Russia (flak jackets perhaps), but has anyone flown Cubana recently? They were still wearing powder-blue uniforms cut like WAAFs and hostie's hats as recently as the mid-90's I think.

Aviation was the first thing that brought the world together. Maybe now it's time for aviation gently to suggest that the world is still a diverse place. It would be great if the bean-counters were to realise that places with real living culture (like Latvia, and even Portugal still) should start making you aware of the fact from the moment you step aboard their aircraft. Even little things like piped local folk music, rather than piped Kylie Minogue. Removing the latter would reduce air-sickness as well.

Rant over...