PDA

View Full Version : Minimum Transfer Times inc. baggage

InChocks
3rd Jan 2001, 16:35
In general, what's the minimum transfer time you should allow if you want your baggage to go with you?

I've got a UA 3-leg flight from Anchorage to Honolulu via Seattle & SFO with 50 and 40 minute stops respectively.

As we'll be on our honeymoon, I'm kinda hoping the baggage will be travelling with me.

Views from anyone who knows about such things would be appreciated.

ExSimGuy
4th Jan 2001, 11:19
"in general", it sounds a bit dodgy - I'd be inclined to take some essentials in a "carry-on" size bag!

(for a honeymoon, a toothbrush and a clean pair of knickers should suffice ;) )

All depends on the airport, whether changing terminals, changing airlines, many variables. Another danger is that a small "tech delay" on one sector could cut your already relatively short transfer times to nil - and I would worry that either your bags will make it and you won't, or the other way around!! (yes, I know that shouldn't happen, but it sometimes does!)

Best wishes to you both for your honeymoon :)

------------------
What Goes Around . . . . .
. . often makes a better landing

strix uralensis
4th Jan 2001, 15:43
this is a simplified display showing unitedŽs minimum online connecting times:
DMUA/SEA/UA/04JAN01
SEA UA TO UA
SEA-SEA - D/D D/I I/D I/I
030 030 110 110

DMUA/SFO/UA/04JAN01
SFO UA TO UA
SFO-SFO D/D D/I I/D I/I
030 050 130 050

it seems they really believe they can handle domestic/domestic transfers at both airports in half an hour so the chances are good youŽll be travelling together with your baggage.
s.

Icarus
9th Jan 2001, 22:06
MCT's are calculated regularly by carriers/airport authorities by procedures and mathematics published by IATA. They are based on the lowest common denominator of offloading/transfering and reloading baggage.
These are then published officially and are incorporated in reservations systems so that you cannot be sold (unless the system is forced by some idiot agent to sell an 'illegal connection') a connection that you are likely to miss (or rather your bags are. Some carriers who codeshare/interline may come to agreements below these times so that their own schedules coincide accordingly and they usually put local procedures inplace to handle te reduce transfer time for your bag. So essentially you should be OK and should not worry too much. If you are delayed en-route and your connection is tight then maybe things will go wring for you. As a regular traveller I get away with handbaggage only (yeah, sorry, I travel 1st class only) so I am very lucky.
I suggest you split you and your partners stuff over two bags so that if one is lost you both still have something. Keep all your toiletries in your hand baggage as well as your tickets, keys, cash and passports. (Nothing personal but so many people pack them in checked baggage!)Hope your wedding day goes really well and enjoy your Honeymoon.

strix uralensis
10th Jan 2001, 13:50
icarus,
how do you describe "an idiot agent"? happen to know one?
s.

InChocks
10th Jan 2001, 16:25
It's reassuring to know that booking systems take minimum x-fer times into account.

Thankyou all for your help and your kind words about our wedding / honeymoon. :)

Icarus
11th Jan 2001, 16:02
Strix - There are an awful lot of agents/airlines that will force a booking to get your business with segements that do not meet MCT's. I don't know any personally, but see it regularly within the region I currently reside in.
Apologies if the word idiot offends, but it is a stupid act and could make the airline liable in the event of a misconnection and usually the agency will get away with it and keep his commission!!
I would just rather see people do things properly rather than try to 'help' too much.

PaulDeGearup
11th Jan 2001, 23:18
We see this all the time in Europe; pax connecting with flights when they haven't got a snowball's chance of making because the ticket they have been sold doesn't take into account the inevitable delays!

At a major international airport you need a minimum of 90 minsto give yourself a fighting chance of making it. Last trip I made to SFO from LHR the 74 sat on the taxiway outside the ramp for 1 hour 40 minutes because a widebody jetty wasn;t available;missed my onward!