PDA

View Full Version : Vfr Navigation And Flight Procedures In Florida. (eeuu).

Boeing7478
26th Feb 2010, 19:27
Hi fellows.
I have been studying the charts of Florida. "Terminal Charts", "Area", "Routes" etc... (In short, all aeronautical information documents available in "Skyvector.com" and also at Jeppesen Charts and Manuals).
I have seen, that navigation is quite different from the established in Europe and most countries (And I have flyed a lot.....in a lot of countries).
That's why I have some questions particularly about VFR (IFR is more or less the same.....).
For example in a flight in VFR between "KFXE" and "KBCT" didn't exist visual AERODROME charts and obviously Visual corridors...... I can imagine that after the sentence "Cleared to take-off rwy XX" the ATC give you an initial vector but.... what happens later?.... that's a very bussy airspace with a lot of airports and I can not believe that proceed direct to the destiny airport is an option......
Some fellow can help me with that doubts?
Thanks.

dirk85
26th Feb 2010, 22:08
Actually proceeding direct to the airport using the gps is the most common way to fly VFR in USA, as far as I have seen.
Depending on your cruise altitude you may need to request transition clearance to the TWR or state your intention on the CTAF, if your route takes you overhead a field.
I suggest you to request flight following anytime you can, that way you will be on the approach\control frequency and have a better awareness of traffics, and often get vectors.

Boeing7478
27th Feb 2010, 14:06
Hi.

Thanks for your fast answer.

I have been flying in Dominican Republic (among other countries) and YES, the things there work in the way you are saying.

But in the route proposed in my example KFXE->KBCT the area is "full" of airspaces... (main diference between D.R.. and U.S.)

Correct me if I'm mistaken after T.O. you are leaving the area covered by tower (with North heading you will be out from the Executive_TWR area in more or less 5nm) BUTTTT.... then you will transition inside the 30 NM circle/area of KMIA (Miami INTL) then I suppose that must be mandatory contact "Miami departure" (119.7) and squawk in mode "C" That's correct?.

I'm also supossing that before leaving 30 NM KMIA, you mst request something like this to the ATC:
"Miami Departure, reaching 30 DME CTC Miami requesting aproval for frecuency change to Boca Raton Tower, XXXXER"
¿That's a correct phraseology in US?.

leaving that area, seems easy just report position for the other tower and proceed with the instructions.....

galaxy flyer
27th Feb 2010, 15:31
B7478

If you leave FXE, you will need a Class B clearance BEFORE entering the Class B airspace. FXE ground/clearance delivery should be able to get you one prior to taxi. "Request Class B clearance VFR to BCT, request x,xxx feet" Controller should come back with a clearance, traffic permitting with squawk code and altitude and any route information. The tower will hand you off to FLL radar who will work you over to BCT. They will probably just flight follow and let you fly direct, unless traffic requires a vector or restriction. FLL radar controller will hand you off to BCT tower. He will probably state, "Nxxx, leaving the Class B airspace, do you wish flight following?" You can stay with him until the hand off to BCT tower, but the rules will be different--you are not in Class B anymore. Remember, you are still VFR so cloud clearance, "see and avoid", etc.

GF

dirk85
27th Feb 2010, 19:05
In your route you are not going to cross any class B (the Miami B is a few miles south if the chart I have here is current).
As suggested the best thing to do in my opinion would be to ask for flight following with the ground or tower frequency ("N-1234, type C172/G request flight following to KBCT, requested altitude xxxx feet").
You will get your transponder code and you will be given the frequency of the approach controller to contact after departure, and will be vectored by app if necessary. You may be given a block altitude (ex: maintain 6000 ft or below).
You will likely get the direct route.

Boeing7478
27th Feb 2010, 23:29
Wow!!! :ok:

"dirk85" and "galaxy flyer" thank you to both, for your kind and fast answers.

I'm learning as much as possible from the two answers.

First of all say that, after "losing" 15 minutes trying to identify the different airspaces I appreciated :} one significative topic:
--->In the US Charts the "system" used to mark the airspaces are completely different to the system used f.e. in Europe and in a lot of countries of South America.....<----

I think that "dirk85" have the reason.... for the route FXE to BCT there is not class B airspace; for me that seems "C". And if you" follow" (more or less) the motorway I-95 (remember that we are in VFR and navigating visually ... And that road is a very good reference :) ) abeam Pompano Beach airport could be active (or not depends about the time as it's reflected on the chart....) a Class D airspace ¿Are someone agree with me? ;)

Just one question in Florida the ATC give you "BLOCK ALTITUDES" for VFR flight instead block+500 feets?

dirk85
28th Feb 2010, 01:05
nd if you" follow" (more or less) the motorway I-95 (remember that we are in VFR and navigating visually ... And that road is a very good reference ) abeam Pompano Beach airport could be active (or not depends about the time as it's reflected on the chart....) a Class D airspace ¿Are someone agree with me?

That's correct, from 0800 to 2000 should be D. Until 2500 ft. And you are in the Fort Lauderdale class C the very few miles on your trip from 1200 to 4000 ft
But that's not something I would be worried about on flight following (you dont need a classic clearance to cross a C anyway, it's enough the app readback your callsign basicly... only in the B you need the magic word "CLEARED INTO CLASS B").

On eastbound flight you SHOULD request an odd level +500, but dont be surprised to get another altitude, they are not very fixated on that.

Have fun... and fly safe! :ok:

galaxy flyer
28th Feb 2010, 01:23
My apologies, B7478, I didn't have a Class B chart at home. Dirk has it perfectly. Pompano Airport, like most Florida ones, will be busy but not a problem. ATC is very familiar with general aviation traffic there. Boca has a real nice FBO to park at and Boca is very, very nice town. Pay attention to VFR navigation, there are lots of divided highways in Fla. :}

As far as "block' altitudes, you might get a restriction like, "maintain VFR at or below XXXX feet". Most likely to clear arrival traffic overhead going into the main airports.

GF