PDA

View Full Version : Dim the lights

InFrequent Flyer
1st Aug 2001, 14:22
Always wondered why the cabin lights are dimmed on take off and landing during twilight/darkness.

Anyone know?

SLF
1st Aug 2001, 16:33
I was told it was in case you need to evacuate, you have better night vision.

I prefer it as you can see out of the window better!

PAXboy
1st Aug 2001, 23:53
I have also been told that bright lights shining out of the cabin windows could mask the navigation lights.

When viewed from the side, there is one coloured light on the wingtip that might have 50 white window panels behind it.

I was interested to note a difference between the dimming of lights when comparing EZY on LTN - EDI and BD on LHR - EDI.

EZY seem to dim the lights earlier in the evening that BD. With BD a couple of weeks ago, it was well into dusk and they did not dim the lights.

Also, EZY make of point of saying that it is "Civil Aviation Authority regulations".

Cart_tart
2nd Aug 2001, 15:06
In australia it's regulation that all cabin lights are illuminated below 1000ft.
So we have to have ours on.
Wonder why it's different over there?

GalleyWench
4th Aug 2001, 03:29
Infrequent, At my carrier it is policy to dim the cabin lighting between dusk and dawn, and to turn off entryway lights. The rationale is that your (and our) eyes will be able to adjust to the outside light that much faster. This could make a difference in an evac between seeing if a slide is inflated and/or debris is in the way in the first few crucial seconds of an evac.

StressFree
4th Aug 2001, 22:34
Oh Dear, this is the first (and last) time I've ever visited this forum, in future I'll stay up the front................

:eek:

davidbwa
5th Aug 2001, 22:01
Dimming the lights is a CAA requirement, and apears in ops manuals. It helps with adjusting to night vision, and also makes the floor level and evacuation lights more visable during an evacuation. Also, according to a fire fighter I spoke to, it makes it easier to spot fire in the cabin, and also fire outside when deciding whether to use an exit. We generally keep them dimmed throughout night flights as most people sleep. Once was told on a BA flight many years ago that it was a courtesy to those living around the airport, because a few cabin lights are going to wake people up, rather than a couple of Pratt and Whitneys at full throttle!!

Super Stall
9th Aug 2001, 00:29
Apparently, in the event of an unscheduled departure from the runway during take off/landing, one of the biggest causes of panic in the cabin (like anyone needs another reason) is being suddenly plunged into darkness.

Thats wot I woz told anyway :eek:

Tuba Mirum
10th Aug 2001, 20:15
No problem, Stress Free. We are perfectly happy back here. We've paid for our seats, and will send a FA if we need your advice. :)

ExSimGuy
13th Aug 2001, 11:16
I think the Flight Attendants forgot Stress-Free's quarter-hourly coffe and sandwich :rolleyes:

Did you know that most pilots die within days or weeks of retirement? It's 'cos they starve to death with nobody too feed them any more :eek:

Cart_tart
14th Aug 2001, 15:04
Which regionals would do that? Not mine!! It's a CASA regulation that "all cabin lighting must be illuminated below 1000ft" Don't have my manual handy so can't give you the regulation number. So if some regionals are dimming the cabin lights until just before shutdown they're being very very naughty & I'm sure will end up with a smack on the bottom from the regulatory authority!

dingducky
22nd Aug 2001, 06:00
i believe they dim the lights to make the hosties look better :p

Do28
26th Aug 2001, 00:16
We turn our cabin lights up for take off and landing. Since we have not flight attendants, we are trying to increase the odds that the pax can evacuate themselves in the event of an untimely demise of the flightcrew(remember, we sit in the lawn dart section). At night, it has the added benefit of waking up the pax so they don't sleep through thier stop.