PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry mobile phone 8110 Pearl

PPRuNe Pop
26th Feb 2010, 12:28
I am acquiring, so far, one of these and opinions on it would be welcome. It is near brand new and I am not being asked to part with any cash - yet!

Ta!

Sprogget
26th Feb 2010, 13:06
Not got that one, but i do have the 8900 curve which isn't a million miles away. I like Blackberrys, specifically for me, as one of they entreepreenurs, it's very, very handy for email, using the Blackberry 'push' email system. That really is the main schtick for these phones.

There's plenty of apps if that's your thing, but it doesn't hold a candle to the jesus phone in that regard, but otherwise you get wifi (I don't think BB's do 3g, but I stand to be corrected on that). The trackball is a pain but you get used to it & from what I gather, the later touch screen models are an acquired taste.

Oherwise, it's a decent smartphone, but to reiterate, it really is all about the email side of things. If you want a glittery plaything, go for an Icostlots.

batninth
26th Feb 2010, 13:35
PPrune Pop,

For work reasons, I had a Windows Mobile based HTC device when most of my collegues raved about the Blackberry especially the 8110 Pearl. About a year ago I declared the HTC in a "bring out your dead" round when the guys were collecting them back in & was given a Pearl 8110.

After a year I still loathe it & would cheerfully let it fall out of my pocket onto the drive to be run over by the car (I'd reverse over it just to be sure), but then I'd only be given a replacement 8110...

I guess it comes down to what you are used to & what you want it to want it to do. In my case, email on the Windows device was via Outlook and it enabled me to do everything with email, calendar & tasks that I could do on my laptop. The email support on the Blackberry is good, but plagued by annoying little bugs (like the fact that if you decline a meeting invite it doesn't remove it from your calendar so you find you get prompted to go to meetings that you said you wouldn't attend).

The password security drives me up the wall, the Pearl uses some sort of stress reader to choose the most non-optimal time to force you to change the password. Lara Croft may be ok at choosing a new password whilst the walls of the temple are crashing down around her & poisonous snakes are climbing up her leg (hmmm....?) but I can do with being able to say "Not now"

After a year I'm still finding the keyboard a pain when typing emails, and trying to configure the Pearl is so non intuitive, I get collegues asking me how I configured mine to do something they want to do.

Finally I find the Blackberry Manager software a pain to use so getting stuff on & off it is painful. I could bluetooth pair the PDA to my laptop & exchange files but my Pearl 8110 won't let me do that.

Where the Pearl does score is in battery life in general use, but colleagues tell me that running apps does tend to up the battery consumption.

These are all minor niggles, and I recognise that most folks around me love their 8110s which work well for them. There also might be people who take what I've put above & identify that the issues can be resolved, but I don't see answers to these problems which means that any solutions are counter intuitive.

Personally I find it frustrating to use something that is so close but ruined by minor little quirks. What I can't deny is the fact that so many people use them & find them brilliant.

Just one aside, we did look at work at taking an application off the Windows devices & porting it to the Blackberry. Whilst it could be done the advice we were given was to wait & go straight to Android.

As you say, you're not parting with cash for it immediately so I'd say get it & give it a try to see how you get on with it. If it were my choice I'd take a look at Android & then make a call on Android or going back to Windows Mobile.

The late XV105
26th Feb 2010, 14:04
I'm still on my original 8100 Pearl over three years later.
A great device :ok:

Fast operating system with logical structure and interface
The original battery still lasts well
The form factor is perfect; thin, small planform, but still properly usable
With the good predictive text (one caveat below) text entry is fast and for me the larger models with full qwerty keyboard add no benefit
Does everything I need; act as a phone (now there's a thing :)) and e-mail platform (Exchange Server Sync)
Good (truly useful) customization and configurability options
Neat idea with a magnet in the leather case automatically taking the device in to and out of standby and also locking the device (not unlocking of course) if you wish

Dislikes

Only GPRS in the UK whereas abroad I normally get a faster EDGE service. Not the fault of the Pearl, but the web browsing speed difference is very significant
Crappy camera; RIM shouldn't have even bothered if this was all they could do
The 8100 has a 2.5mm audio jack so I can't use my nice headphones when I travel, only the ho-hum Blackberry ones. Later models in the 81nn series do have 3.5mm jacks

Caveat

I often type in Czech language but since updating to the latest firmware that can be used on an old 8100 the handset locks for 30secs or so if it can't find suitable predictive spelling rather than ignoring and acknowledging that on this occasion the User knows best. Solution is to switch to multi-tap entry.

Thanks to this thread I just realised that I am as attached to this old Pearl as I am to my old Ericsson T39m that I still use with care and appropriateness on the motorbike (via Autocom intercom).

Blackberry Pearl page on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BlackBerry_Pearl)