PDA

View Full Version : How old is too old to get hired?

LN-TEX
26th Feb 2010, 02:14
Hi!

I am considering getting a CPL, but time goes by fast and I am rapidly becoming an old man.

I am now 35 years old, and will at least be 37 before I finnish flight school if I decide to go. I have no flying experience from before, so what little experience I will have to show for is whatever I will get during my training.

Does anybode have any experience with getting hired after reaching a certain age? Are younger applicants always preferred, or do us older guys still stand a chance? It is tempting to think that employers would prefer older and (maybe?) more mature applicants in some cases...:)

albertaboy
26th Feb 2010, 03:20
That is a tough question!
In my opinion, I think you are the only one who can answer that. It all depends on your situation. Do you have a family? children? Maybe just love the place you currently live? In my experience, I have found that in order to finally get a job, I have move across Canada to a place I look forward to leaving, give up many relationships for the time being, and take an 80% paycut, all to hop in a SE piston!! By the time I am done, it will be roughly 2.5 years from getting the first job to being in a spot where I can live a life where I want with who I want, and not have to worry about where my grocery money is coming from. Beleive it or not, I am one of the lucky ones!!! Some people may take anywhere from 3 to 6 years or longer to get to that point. So that may put you over 40 before you have the hours to get into a jet (if that is what you want). It may be more difficult at that age. If medivac or regional flying is your goal I am sure you could make it happen. Keep in mind I am speaking from Canada so things may be very different in Norway, but I imagine you may face many of the same challenges. BTW, I started school at 26 (no spring chicken). My best advice to you is don't kid yourself about what it will take to make it in times like these.
For what it is worth, I still get exhilerated by my job each and every day.:ok:
Good Luck!

LN-TEX
26th Feb 2010, 04:51
Thanks, Alberta!

Actually I would be more than happy to do medevac flying, whatever gets me off the ground is good :)

Not married (probably close though), no children, and I have a desent job to fall back on if everything goes south. I figure better to try and se what happens than spend the rest of my life wondering what might have been :ok:

Ronand
26th Feb 2010, 08:59
@LN-Tex Keep in mind thousand's of unemployed frozen cpl holders are just thinking the same, they would take anything just to get off the ground!

If you have money to burn, then you might give it a shot. If you do not, then don't . It's as simple as that.... Taking a loan would be like taking a loan to start a poker career.... If you are a bright guy your chances in starting a poker career would probably be better :E

Hanriot_Dupont
26th Feb 2010, 09:01
I get a job at 34, and in the same company, some guys were older. I guess when company needs pilots, they don't care about the age. So maybe if you finish it two year, it will be again a possitive situation, anyway, it's only a guess.

BigNumber
26th Feb 2010, 09:26
Being 'older' than a 20 something is actually viewed as 'positive' by some employers and will attract preference.

Being '40 something' still allows plenty of years of service; probably beyond the life expectancy of most operations.

As for 'Airlines' (737 / A320) in the age of PTF; your money is as good as the next punter.

Enjoy.

ShaunLanc
26th Feb 2010, 12:18
Hi LN-TEX,

Welcome to pprune, theres a post exactly the same as yours in another section, try looking harder next time!

Anyway heres the link for it

http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/406234-too-late-train.html

stefair
26th Feb 2010, 12:40
LN-TEX,

It's not about what you know it's who you know unfortunately. If you happen to know someone in the inside you will be fine, regardless of age. How you get those contacts I cannot tell.

I know a guy who secured a corporate job flying a small TP. He got it by being a member of a model airplane club; the owner happened to be a member, too...

Good luck!