PDA

View Full Version : DHC6 Mayday and diversion to Gatwick

STN Ramp Rat
25th Feb 2010, 22:04
I understand that a DHC6 that was being ferried from Canada to the Maldives diverted to Gatwick in the early hours of Wednesday morning after a fire that left the aircraft without any electrical power. The story I have heard makes it sound like a trouser change might have been required after the landing butif it is as I was told well done to the crew.

Beaver man
26th Feb 2010, 07:14
Hope all is well. Happened to be speaking to one of the crew on Tues night at Birmingham.

twochai
26th Feb 2010, 08:11
Hope he was on wheels?:ooh:

BoeingMEL
26th Feb 2010, 08:25
...floats perfectly suited for LGW/West Sussex in late Feb :ok:

Chap6168
26th Feb 2010, 16:25
The aircraft was ferrying Calgary, Frobisher Bay, Keflavik, Birmingham, Dubrovnik, Luxor, Muscat, Male (Maldives). After departing Birmingham, it was somewhere over Kent on its 6hr 10min trip to Dubrovnik when it suffered an electrical fire in the cockpit, losing all lights and all electrically powered instruments. The flames were just a couple of feet from the auxiliary long-range fuel tanks that were fitted in the cabin! The crew managed to extinguish the fire and inform LATCC of their situation by handheld transceiver, with navigation being accomplished by handheld GPS. A torch was used to view the attitude indicator and altimeter.
Post from a John Dyer post at flightglobal.com

BarbiesBoyfriend
26th Feb 2010, 16:30
Well done guys!:ok:

Sir George Cayley
26th Feb 2010, 20:54
Medals all round - BZs too, throw hats in the air.

I love a happy ending:ok:

Sir George Cayley

doubleu-anker
27th Feb 2010, 02:46
Very well done indeed!

I suspect it would be a trouser change and quite possibly be an upholstery change.

BoeingMEL
28th Feb 2010, 13:44
Nice to learn that portable TX and GPS were being carried... but sh*t, they were lucky they weren't nearer the Alps eh? :ok: