PDA

View Full Version : What is an anorak???

VH_KAM
1st Jan 2001, 14:07
Excuse my ignorance guys+gals but what exactly is an "anorak"??? And why do you call it so ???

BRUpax
1st Jan 2001, 14:51
Basically those persons seen at UK airports (or railway stations or bus stations etc.) noting registrations of aircraft (locos/busses), habitually clad in the traditional British anorak.

Generally , again I think mainly in the UK, if one's interest in, say, aviation falls into a category perceived by others as uncool (in other words, a passion) you are labelled an anorak.

I'm an aviation professional with an additional passion, fascination and interest for airlines, airliners and travel. I practice uncool habits such as sitting at window seats because after 40 odd years of flying I still enjoy looking out. That, I guess, qualifies me as an anorak in the eyes of the uninitiated :) !!

Bird Strike
1st Jan 2001, 15:19
Hi KAM!

One of the actual examples of 'Anoraks' are 'Spotters'.

VH_KAM
1st Jan 2001, 15:39
BRUpax thanks for the reply mate, great to hear - sounds familiar! While in the VERY early stages of my airline career I often park myself at the end of a runway wherever I am to watch something fly overhead or taxi past - and I cannot let anything man made pass me by in the air without straining my neck to have a look. The anorak might be a little hot in Australia this time of year though!!!

In 40 years time I hope I still have the same passion for the wonderful world of aviation like yourself!!!

ExSimGuy
2nd Jan 2001, 12:34
If the Conc gets going again, I'd like to be one of those in an anorak, as close as I can get to the end of the runway, to watch (and hear) those 4 Olympus donks on full chat reheat!

Yesterday I was very disappointed when, during a boring 10-hour connection at BAH, I saw a RAF VC-10 trundle past on the taxi-way to line up at the end of the runway, and then taxi back again. I was looking forward to seeing the old ship go off and wondering if it was one of the ones in which I used to
sometimes inhabit the jump seat on "fam" flights

(yes, I like window seats too ;) )

------------------
What Goes Around . . . . .
. . often makes a better landing

[This message has been edited by ExSimGuy (edited 02 January 2001).]

strix uralensis
2nd Jan 2001, 16:26
ex sim guy,
i know what you mean. during the late 90´s i flew quite a few times to heathrow on the finnair flight arriving at 09.10. i always spent an extra hour at the airport just to see and hear the ba001 concorde taking off for jfk at 10.30. wearing a suit and a tie on the terrace of the terminal 2, does it make you An Anorak in Disguise? hmmm, a great title for a song, gimme my guitar...
s.

flapsforty
2nd Jan 2001, 21:18
Been wondering about that anorak thing myself, but now I know............

Travelling home from the GatBash, first thing I did at the airport was look for the smokers corner. Turned out the place had the most fantastic view of the platform and 1 runway!
Had a perfectly grand time sitting there all by myself, slightly hung over, smoking my head off and looking at all the shiny toys going to and fro!

Definite anorak! :)

PPRuNe Towers
2nd Jan 2001, 22:10
Ah, but what an anorak!

Regards from an F40 fan

The Sleeping Pax
2nd Jan 2001, 23:26
PPRuNe Towers! Welcome to the bargain basement Chief!

pax domina
3rd Jan 2001, 00:40
I'll second that! Someone from the penthouse slumming down here in the cellar! Yipee!

pax d (rather easily amused today, I'm afraid)

ExSimGuy
7th Jan 2001, 10:30
Singapore is a bit like that - "smokers' corner" is an outside terrace, packed with smokers/anoraks, and with very full butt-cans - but a great view.

Flaps - why were you hung over? You should have stayed for (liquid) lunch with me at the Thistle and drowned the hangover ;)

------------------

Evening Star
10th Jan 2001, 15:53
Seems sad that anybody with an enthusiasm is branded an anorak, and therefore by inference is considered to have the social skills of an amoeba. The end result of that is the end of all enthusiasm and we all become facile drones. Oh well, forward to a grey future.

(And no, I do not spot planes. However, suppose the fact I read PPRuNe is bad enough. Now where did I put that anorak.....)

PPRuNe Towers
15th Jan 2001, 20:28
Actually I'd nipped down here to the cellars in a bit of a panic.

The ghastly thought had suddenly struck me you might be clamouring for free drinks and frequent flyer points to use this forum.

------------------
Regards from the Towers

[email protected]

Luftwaffle
21st Jan 2001, 06:28
For those people not from the UK, an anorak is a kind of jacket. Presumably it is the overwhelming choice of outerwear among people who sit under the approach lights with their cameras and notebooks.

Pom Pax
21st Jan 2001, 10:26
Anorak, an Inuit word, A heavy jacket with a hood; a parka.
[Greenlandic Eskimo annoraaq, formerly spelt ánorâk.]

I first came across the word reading accounts of Gino Watkins expeditions in Greenland in the thirties when he explored the interior for the envisaged great circle routes over the North Atlantic.

Fitztightly
26th Jan 2001, 02:05
ExSimGuy, I have visited the Singapore smokers corner and have the photos to prove it :-D nothing like a long cool Tiger and a Marlboro after 12 hours from LHR.... I am THE anorac it seems, as I first bristled in my pram at the sound of a steam train whistle and am now running a railway. And I get speechless when I see a 744 within 200 miles. But hey, that's me :-D

ExSimGuy
27th Jan 2001, 12:15
Ah, steam trains :) "I remember the days . . ."

But the sound of a VC-10, or a Vulcan, or Concorde . . .

Back in the days when I worked on the flight sims, one of my jobs was the "sound simulation" and I remember tuning the "buzz-saw" part of the simulated sound of the early bypass engines on 747. (my colleagues used to complain that I had it turned up too high http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif )

Today's aircraft are too damned quiet ;)

------------------