PDA

View Full Version : Flight Delays

Podge
30th Dec 2000, 19:27
Yo pilots, you do a great job but hey, you are not God....when there are delays, some passengers have the right to get a little tetchy, they paid good money for the holiday they are not on....and what help do you give? Nothing, zilch, nada....oh yeah, we all know about your hours etc....comes in handy doesn't, when you will and won't use discretion. I take abuse from the delayed passengers all day. The best is when they are stranded in a diversionary airport with no airline / holiday staff. Not even a word of assurance from you. Get a grip.

PPRuNe Admins
30th Dec 2000, 20:02
As these are anonymous forums the origins of the contributions may be opposite to what may be apparent. In fact the press may use it, or the unscrupulous, to elicit certain reactions

------------------

Gonzo
1st Jan 2001, 03:30
Just think what he'd say to ATCers!!!!!!!

Gonzo

Bird Strike
1st Jan 2001, 15:24
Or to airline schedulers! :) :)

Sick Squid
2nd Jan 2001, 05:51
Tango Oscar Sierra Sierra Echo Romeo. Grade A.

Looking at this gentleperson's profile, is a "Manger" not a cattle shed, and therefore full of bullshiit?

------------------
Disappears in a cloud of black ink...

Chilli Source
2nd Jan 2001, 09:54
Good call SS. Mr.Podge Manager has an axe to grind......let him grind elsewhere.

Chilli Source

Podge
3rd Jan 2001, 00:19
Just goes to show doesn't it? What a bunch of Whiskey Alpha November Kilo Echo Romeo's you are, pig headed with it. I am female, not male, usual assumptions from those who feel they are superior (but of course, are not!), I have no axe to grind, just bored and slightly amused at your juvenile **** ....shame, all of what I said is true, and I would say the same to many in the aviation industry - couldn't run a piss up in a brewery. If it gets too difficult HEY, just cancel the flight or blame someone else. It's funny though, so called professionals doing **** like this!! Ah well, your job is so mundane and boring, I suppose you have to do something in your spare time.

redsnail
4th Jan 2001, 09:11
Still a manger.

ExSimGuy
4th Jan 2001, 11:13
Considering the time of year, "away in . . . ") might be a good place for the manger ;)

(Reddo, how the devil do you get a negative post count http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif )

------------------
What Goes Around . . . . .
. . often makes a better landing

Podge
4th Jan 2001, 23:23
Still tossers, have yet to experience a good landing with you "professionals"!

When did all you pilot gods learn to read then? It is obviously just a myth that you have no common sense or any sign of real intelligence....but I reserve judgement. Working with a bunch of tosspilots, it gives me great pleasure to abuse them face to face everyday. Laughable excuse fro humans

Buffy Summers
5th Jan 2001, 01:23
So Podge, what kind of feedback were you trying to get? You put a posting here which merely attacks pilots and for no apparent reason. Is there something you wish to nkow or are you just venting your frustration?
You say:
"there are delays, some passengers have the right to get a little tetchy, they paid good money for the holiday they are not on....and what help do you give? Nothing, zilch, nada" Yes, some passengers can get tetchy, but most of the time its not our fault and it also means we are delayed, we want to get home just as much as the passengers you know.

and
"....oh yeah, we all know about your hours etc....comes in handy doesn't, when you will and won't use discretion."
In all the time I have been flying I cannot remember a single time when we have not used our discretion (because we decided to, not the company). As I said, we also want to get home and we also want the passengers to get to where they are going. We will go out of our way to get away before the discretion runs out, and many, many times, there are ways of bending the rules slightly. We don't have to. We do it because we understand the frustration our passengers are going through, because usually we are also going through it and have also done so as passengers.
But there is a thing called the CAA and things called legal maximum hours.
There is a point where we have no choice but to go rest. Generally, if we know that its going to be a very long delay (say the aircraft needs a new part or something) we may decide its best to go straight to a hotel, rest for 12 hours (or, more likely, knock that down to 11 hours, and include in that the hour its going to take between now and getting to the hotel rooms). But if we run out of hours, we run out of hours and have no choice but to go to a hotel/ home and rest.
What do you expect us to do, stay up for 24 hours and then go do a long flight? Break the regulations? They are there for a reason you know.

You also said:
"I take abuse from the delayed passengers all day. The best is when they are stranded in a diversionary airport with no airline / holiday staff. Not even a word of assurance from you."

I am sorry that sometimes some airlines do not have a presence at an airport that is not their usual airport but one they haev diverted to. Generally the pilots are still on the flightdeck or in the handling agents offices or speaking to company getting updates on weather, or tech info, or re-planning or trying to find a way around the hours limits.
Would you prefer we just come talk to the passengers? That way we could guarantee that we would be even more delayed and probably go out of hours. Would that help?

We also get to hear what the passengers have to say, and we do our best to keep people informed of what is happening, but sometimes we don't know ourselves. Take one problem. During a flight we have a minor technical problem. We divert. When we arrive we talk to our company on the phone, they are trying to locate a part. If there is one nearby then it could be with us in an hour or so. If there isn't then it might arrive tomorrow. We do not yet know. They are also working out hours, whether spare crews would be available, what time an engineer can get to us, how long it will take to fit the part when it does arrive, whether we should put passengers in hotel or not.
So we wait. The passengers know its a technical problem, minor, as we have told them.
One pax talks to another and starts a scare story that there is some big technical problem and we should have a different aircraft altogether. Pax refuse to get back on repaired aircraft. Yes, it has happened.
Pax moan, saying they have not been kept informed because its been half an hour since we spoke with them.
Stories start.
In the meantime we are working our butts off, having already been working for hours, perhaps also considering crap weather.
We are not gods, no. But we are professional, we do appreciate what other airport workers go through with passengers and we will always do our utmost to help the situation by keeping people informed.
Honestly.
Now, do you wish to add anything further to your postings so far?

flapsforty
5th Jan 2001, 12:33
Amen!!!!!!!!

Podge
5th Jan 2001, 22:06
Wow, now who has the axe to grind. Basically I don't like pilots. Your are all jumped up stewards, no more. I wasn't looking for any feedback, why, I can have all I want working in this industry! Just like to let you know that people have a different opinion to you lot. As for using your discretion, yeah, you would say that, you must be one of the better ones (if there is such a thing). So easy to wind up eh....?

Buffy Summers
6th Jan 2001, 01:08
Yeah, Podge, I guessed you were looking for a reaction, and should be posting in JetBlast, but as you had chosen to post here I thought I would just take the opportunity to give another view. Would you say that most of the pilots you dislike are from a particular airline? Because virtually all of the pilots I know are extremely helpful and would go into discretion.
I have no axe to grind, merely trying to give the other view as, after all, this is a public forum specifically for passengers.
And if they read your posting and think every airline employee is of the same opinion as you, well, anything could happen :)
I am not a jumped up steward, how do you work that one out? (Maybe I'm a jumped up stewardess, even though I have never been one, and worked bloody hard, spent a lot of money and went through sheer hell and huge debt to get this job).
I am just glad I don't meet too many people like you.
Everyone has their own opinion, you have a very strong one, very anti, which is up to you. But if you are so vehement towards others in the industry you work in then I think perhaps you are in the wrong job.
Au Revoir.
And sit yourself down now with a strong cup of sweet tea.

redsnail
6th Jan 2001, 03:15
Hey Podge, Check out your own profile. You are still a manger.
It is a bit difficult to take you seriously when you make that mistake....
Any way, still reckon you are a wind up artist.

Podge
6th Jan 2001, 13:07
Arseholes....what sad ****ers you are. I am so sorry that there are no genuine people in your role....actually I do know one commercial piolt who is quite human so I should not tar you all with the same brush. We can al fly...yes, even me, it's not that difficult. Anyway, you're boring me now, beleiving what you write about yourselves...I was hoping to be proved wrong....but never mind. Fed up now, will go annoy some other "I am God thinkers". See ya around cart tarts!

PPRuNe Admins
6th Jan 2001, 14:35
Thank you Podge for your incisive views on aviation. Whilst you may have had some legitimate points to make, your juvenile delivery and antagonistic tone ensured that some people took the bait and that any debate was going no where.

Feel free to come back once school is out.

------------------

Bird Strike
6th Jan 2001, 14:48
I still think Podge is just a wind-up merchant... but he (or she?) does not strike me as being particularly intelligent. What's your hang-up anyway?

Sick Squid
9th Jan 2001, 03:57
Ah well, Podge, you may be just another of the wind-up merchants that wash up on this shore every so often, but really, don't you wish you'd studied a little bit harder at school? Then you might be able to either do the job you really want to be doing (and we know what that is, don't we tarts!) or at least deliver your precisely worded, razor-sharp repartee whilst following the basic rules of grammar.

Others have done what you did before. But they did it better...

Ciao, Bella.

------------------
Disappears in a cloud of black ink...

TMPFICH
9th Jan 2001, 05:17
Podge,

I know who you are!!!!!!, although I don't remember you being as bitter. Maybe you will chill out once the summer kicks in.

p.s. yes she still is a manager.

simitra
14th Jan 2001, 06:19
Gee folks. Since Podge is a "manger" and manger is French for "to eat" perhaps our quasi-literate friend here will live to eat his/her/its words when he/she/it realises how very crass and pretentious he/she/it sounds to those of us who can spell and punctuate without resorting to profanity!

Marge
14th Jan 2001, 20:28
Dear Podge,

My My we were in a bad mood for the first week of the year. Never mind dear you should feel a little better for the next 3 weeks.

Feel free to write to me at the "Agony Aunt Forum", I think my readers may be able to offer some practical advice.

You say " Pilots are not God" ! Are you sure dear ?

Love Marge

Wolf-In-Sheeps Clothing
16th Jan 2001, 06:02
HEY PODGE!
Whats your beef, Eh? Are the decorators in 24-7?
Seems that you don't know what the hell you are talking about!
Buffy seems to have your card marked, and rightly so!! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif
Sometimes the Commercial Departments of airlines make serious f**k Ups! This then gets filtered down and doesn't rear its head until 24hrs before hand if not, on STD and the Operations Department have to pull it out of the C*AP!
Try reading something called CAP371/JAR OPS PART 371. We have to read it, know it and quote it! Its law (under the Air Navigation Order) and is there not just to protect crew but also, in the long run, passengers and thier safety!!!! :mad:
Each Operator has there own copy and the CAA (funnily enough) like to make sure that we are using it correctly!!
O.K so if an operator doesn't have enough crews then that is a big mistake. BUT! Aircraft do go tech, crews do get ill, weather does have a big factor in flying. I just wish SLF would get there facts right before complaining...... http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif

Right I think I've said enough now....! :rolleyes:
I've just got sit here for another 5 hours of a night-shift!!

SEE YA!! ;)

------------------
Watch Out....
To Err is Human....
To Forgive is not Company policy...!

heavy_landing
18th Jan 2001, 04:27
Sometimes, the best reply is to say nothing.
At the end of the day, Podgey, you should have tried harder at school.
Let's leave this thread here?

Xenia
18th Jan 2001, 19:10
MANAGEMENT LESSONS
(lessons 1 & 2 have been posted in the Cabin Crew forum - "when do we eat & rest")

Lesson Number Three
When the body was first made, all the parts wanted to be Boss. The
brain said, "I should be Boss because I control the whole body's
responses and functions." The feet said, " We should be Boss as we
carry the brain about and get him to where he wants to go." The
hands
said, "We should be the Boss because we do all the work and earn =
all
the money." And so it went on and on with the heart, the lungs and
the
eyes until finally the asshole spoke up.

All the parts laughed at the idea of the asshole being the Boss. So
the asshole went on strike, blocked itself up and refused to work.
Within a short time the eyes became crossed, the hands clenched,
the
feet twitched, the heart and lungs began to panic and the brain
fevered. Eventually they all decided that the asshole should be the
Boss, so the motion was passed. All the other parts did all the work
while the Boss just sat and passed out the **** !

Management Lesson: You don't need brains to be a Boss - any
asshole
will do. :) :) :)

------------------
*************************Happy Landings! :)

Wolf-In-Sheeps Clothing
21st Jan 2001, 15:09
Xenia,
You don't work for British European, per chance?
How is the old company doing?
and more to the point are you BHX based?
Where could these questions be going?? :) ;)

Anyway do send a reply to my E-Mail sometime......!!!!! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif

------------------
Watch Out....
To Err is Human....
To Forgive is not Company policy...!

[This message has been edited by Wolf-In-Sheeps Clothing (edited 21 January 2001).]