PDA

View Full Version : Well done Microsoft

green granite
25th Feb 2010, 19:15
Microsoft shuts down global spam network
Escape key
Infected PCs are under the control of cyber criminals

Microsoft has won court approval to shut down a global network of computers which it says is responsible for more than 1.5bn spam messages every day.

A US judge granted the firm's request to shut down 277 internet domains, which it said were used to "command and control" the so-called Waledac botnet.

Full article: BBC News - Microsoft shuts down global spam network (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8537741.stm)

green granite
27th Feb 2010, 13:17
Interestingly I've not had any spam since that announcement, usually get a dozen or so a day into my hotmail account.

green granite
27th Feb 2010, 16:52
Since it was their servers that were being affected by the spam sent to Hotmail addresses then in my opinion they have every right.

Ad C
27th Feb 2010, 16:56
if spammers are being stoped does it matter who stops them?

stickyb
28th Feb 2010, 05:05
Since that announcement the spam to my hotmail account has decreased marginally, but, funnily, the number of vi***a ads to my work box has more than doubled.

Whirlygig
28th Feb 2010, 08:28
Who gave MS the title and authority of Internet cops?A court of law apparently.

Cheers

Whirls

BEagle
28th Feb 2010, 12:16
Yes, well done indeed, Microsoft.

It's high time that all spammers and hackers had their fingers broken before being sent to jail to become Big Ron of E wing's new 'special friend'....

The Nr Fairy
28th Feb 2010, 19:19
Researchers question Microsoft's botnet take-down (http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9162498/Researchers_question_Microsoft_s_botnet_take_down)

Good in that they've done something. Bad because it's a minimal percentage of the total spam volume. When McColo was shut down a while ago, spam volumes dropped markedly but soon got back to normal levels.

I'd rather they made their operating systems more robust.

I'd rather they - as the predominant supplier of desktop operating systems, love them or hate them - helped bridge the gap between the technological cognoscenti and users. Make people more aware of what's going on behind their LCD screens and make it more transparent, make people treat the internet the same as any other social forum and use the same social screening techniques to avoid them getting their puters hosed with all sorts of crap.

al446
28th Feb 2010, 19:44
How well do you know Big Ron of E wing?:hmm:

frostbite
28th Feb 2010, 19:46
Must admit that the usual deluge of spam in my Yahoo mailbox (the one I use for unimportant stuff) has totally dried up in the last few days.

Mike-Bracknell
28th Feb 2010, 21:56
More spam happens during the week than the weekend.

Personally (since I spam filter for quite a few domains), i'm still noticing the levels of spam holding up. 27,000 today. Average over the last few weeks has been between 20,000 and 45,000.