PDA

View Full Version : New L-1011 Airline - would you?

ExSimGuy
23rd Jul 2000, 18:56
There's a nice guy called "The Guvnor", who hasn't appeared on this section so far (I think) who has been talking about starting a new freight airline with refurbished L1011s. Now it would appear that he's upping the ante and wants to do passengers as well (out of Scotland and Ireland)

So how do you feel about the good old Tri-Star? If they're well looked after, I think they were once a great aircraft and not much has changed except they got older; and there's a lot of older 737s still flying around.

Oh, and if you think you might have a suggestion for names for the operation, hop over to http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/Forum1/HTML/008971.html and let him have some (Celtic) ideas.

------------------
Ah, the VC-10, Wasn't she lovely!

The Sleeping Pax
23rd Jul 2000, 22:46
How do I as a PAX feel about the good old Tri-Star or any other old aircraft? Are they well looked after? I suppose that the "authorities" will make sure that they are safe. In reality, how do we, the fare paying public know? How many people when booking their flights actually ask what aircraft they may be flying in and actually think about how old it may well be. 0.01%?

------------------
Wake me up when we get there

Avman
24th Jul 2000, 00:17
I did a lot of flying on Tristars. The last time was in 1998. I have more recently flown on B737s and DC-10s with just as many hours if not more. So, for me, as long as I'm satisfied that the maintenance is up to scratch, no problems.

Whether The Guvnor's airline ever gets off the ground is another matter. And, if it does, IMHO trying to operate schedules exclusively out of Scotland and Ireland will bankrupt him come the first winter.

BigJETS
24th Jul 2000, 07:27
If the pilots will fly it, I'll ride it. Cities served and fares are the real issue unless there something is obviously wrong. Tristars must be as safe as anything else.

------------------
Rotate, Please! http://bigjets.tripod.com/flightline/

[This message has been edited by BigJETS (edited 28 July 2000).]

Bullitt
27th Jul 2000, 08:01
I LOVE the Tri-star..(goes back to my childhood when I used to travel on B-Cal ones)and I get very excited when I see them at airports.
Last flew on one back in Feb with Delta from KATL-KLAX.Lovely!

Unfortunately I live in Australia but I would use the Guv's airline if the opportunity ever arises!

Cheers
Bullitt

------------------
We've got to start thinking beyond our guns

FlyingV
28th Jul 2000, 00:17
Flew Delta DUB-SNN-ATL & back once.

My only L-1011 experience.

And, to be honest, I wasn't crazy about it at all.

Am I unique in not loving the tristar ?

ExSimGuy
29th Jul 2000, 09:44
FlyingV,

If you're going to The Bash tonite - just stay clear of The Guvnor then!

------------------
Ah, the VC-10, Wasn't she lovely!

Denzil
30th Jul 2000, 04:12
Please give the Guvnor a chance, having worked the L1011 for 9 years in both line & hangar maintenance it must be said that this is one of the safest and most reliable aircraft flying today. All that is required is a bit of TLC, which I am sure through his links with BWIA, his aircraft will receive.
I wish him the best of luck.

------------------
"Noted With Thanks"

JRF
30th Jul 2000, 05:06
The Tristart is fine, but it is a flying tank. I have yet to fly on one that was not cramped for the PAXs, but then all depends on how much PAX room management wants to allow. So, an airlines with L10-11s is fine, so long as they make them comfortable.

The Guvnor
30th Jul 2000, 15:55
Thanks, people, for the insight into the passenger perspective on the type. Most people I know that have flown them love them dearly - and they are a delight for the crews to fly (ask for a flight deck visit and you'll see why!)

The L1011 is unique amongst many aircraft, in that it has a design life no less than 115,000 cycles (flights) and 210,000 hours. This equates to four times the cycles and seven times the hours of the DC10; and six times the cycles and seven times the hours of the Boeing 747. This extended life is attributable to the unique construction of the aircraft - and also explains why the L1011 has the smallest of the Aging Aircraft Programmes of all the widebodied aircraft. The L1011 has had no design related crashes - all eight aircraft that have been destroyed were involved in externally related incidents such as weather, terrorist incidents, pilot error and fires caused by third parties.

When Richard Branson started Virgin Atlantic, he asked Freddie Laker for advice. Amongst many valueable pointers, Freddie said that there's not a lot of point in competing solely on price: a new entrant has to be service based. In addition, it's especially important to take advantage of niche markets and use strong branding (such as Virgin) or ethinc identity - as British Caledonian did, with great success.

Whilst our principal business will be the provision of L1011s on ACMI or 'wet' leases (where we supply an aircraft together with crew, maintenance and insurance to a client airline) we are currently evaluating the operation of charter services within Europe for next summer and scheduled services from Prestwick and Shannon to Portsmouth, NH (just north of Boston) and Orlando, FL. Our principal target market is northern England and Scotland, together with Ireland and passengers coming in on Ryanair from other points. Uniquely, passengers will be able to arrive at one destination, hop on a flight operated by our partner Pan Am, and return from the other destination - this means that it's possible to visit both Disneyworld and experience the beauty that is New England on the same trip.

For £199 (to Portsmouth) or £249 (to Orlando) plus taxes one-way, you'll be able to travel on any of our services on an unrestricted ticket Economony ticket. The service level for Economy passengers will be considerably higher than that offered by any other airline - business class catering on china, with glassware and metal cutlery; and a seat pitch and comfort far better than that offered by any competing carrier. Passengers will also be able to enjoy the latest in-seat IFE video and audio systems.

Business class will also be provided, and passengers will have a personal limousine transfer service at both departure and destination. On board, passengers will be offered a library of the latest DVD releases and video games for their entertainment.

For more information on the company - please visit our website at http://www.celticairways.com/

We're also seeking suggestions for the new name of both the Scots and Irish operations - you're invited to either post them here or email me at [email protected]

------------------
:) Happiness is a warm L1011 :)

OO-AOG
31st Jul 2000, 07:03
I was in Kingman(IGM)/Arizona last week and was quite sad to see 9 ex-TWA Tristars beeing broken-up. I rememember flying onboard transatlantic between BRU and JFK a couple of years ago...nice plane indeed.
My last experience was a jump-seat on a Nordic East 1011 between ARN and CHQ.
The DC10 definitely won the battle, as most Tristars will be retired in the following years while many DC10 will continue their lives as Freighters, thanks to FEDEX.

Speechless Two
1st Aug 2000, 02:25
Bullitt - it's being picky, I know, but I don't recall BCAL ever operating L1011's. Think it must have been DC10-10's or -30's you flew in?

This website might be of interest to you.......www.british-caledonian.com (http://www.british-caledonian.com)

------------------
Quickly; bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever. (Aristophanes)

The Guvnor
1st Aug 2000, 10:59
Speechless Two - I think he means Caledonian Airways (aka The Airline Formerly Known As British Airtours) and now part of jmc (which apparently stands for Just Murdered Caledonian). The remaining Caledonian L1011s are currently sitting in AUH, and are for sale - if you fancy setting up your own charter airline!

------------------
:) Happiness is a warm L1011 :)