PDA

View Full Version : II Sqn Regt Gnr Killed

November4
25th Feb 2010, 12:38
I know not Aircrew but he was Kandahar Airfield Force Protection Wing

RAF Regiment airman killed in Afghanistan

25 Feb 10

It is with sadness that the Ministry of Defence must confirm that an airman from II Squadron Royal Air Force Regiment, part of the Kandahar Airfield Force Protection Wing, was killed in Afghanistan on Wednesday 24 February 2010.

The airman was part of a vehicle mounted patrol and died from wounds received as a result of an explosion which occurred in an area north of Kandahar Airfield in Kandahar province.

Spokesman for Task Force Helmand, Lieutenant Colonel David Wakefield, said yesterday:

"It is my sad duty to inform you that an airman from II Squadron Royal Air Force Regiment, part of the Kandahar Airfield Force Protection Wing, was killed this evening as a result of an explosion. He was on a mobile patrol in an area about four kilometres north of Kandahar Airfield when the explosion happened.

"He died doing his duty and among his fellow airmen; his sacrifice will not be forgotten."

This death is not connected to Operation MOSHTARAK.

Next of kin have been informed and have asked for a period of grace before further details are released.

MOD (http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/MilitaryOperations/RafRegimentAirmanKilledInAfghanistan.htm)

Thoughts with his family and Sqn

Aerouk
25th Feb 2010, 12:43
RIP.

My thoughts are with his family, colleagues and friends.

Squirrel 41
25th Feb 2010, 13:43
RIP - thoughts with the family and the RAF Regt family.

S41

Tankertrashnav
25th Feb 2010, 13:44
As a one-time rockape may I add my own condolences too.

L J R
25th Feb 2010, 13:54
All doing a great job at KAF. RIP mate.

sapco2
25th Feb 2010, 15:01
My sincere condolences go to the lad's family, friends, and to his colleagues who've suffered the trauma of losing of one of their own.

As the parent of a gunner with 3 Sqn at Camp Bastion, the news made my heart sink and my wife and I share your grief. It is credit to all of you who serve there, that you do so in such a professional and uncomplaining way, and I wish those of you who remain there a safe a speedy return home.

Techmick
25th Feb 2010, 15:02
RIP Gunner

Per Ardua

peppermint_jam
25th Feb 2010, 15:28
Per Ardua

My condolences to the parents, family, friends and collegues of this brave soul.

Kite Runner
25th Feb 2010, 17:39
Nunquam Non Paratus - Condolences to family, friends and Rocks.

FATTER GATOR
25th Feb 2010, 17:49
I always felt safe knowing the Regt were looking after us when I was flying out of Bas and working at KAF.

Words don't do it justice.

Courage Selfless Loyal Brave Professional-useless words

Rest In Peace
Per Ardua

nice castle
25th Feb 2010, 19:15
Oft unsung for their good work. It was very much appreciated by those I knew at KAF when I was there.

My thoughts are with his family.

RIP.

Geehovah
25th Feb 2010, 19:15
My thoughts are with his Family

RIP. He died serving his Country. What more is there to ask?

R SCANDAL
25th Feb 2010, 19:48
Ditto all above. The Rocks have done an outstanding job in the 'Stan for quite some time now and were superb in Iraq. They don't get enough credit for what they do.
RIP

Gunnerrock
26th Feb 2010, 05:55
Mr flap, The death of any Serviceman or woman is a tragic loss. But when it's one of your own you feel the loss more. If your intention was to wind people up well it worked on me. However, RIP to all who have died in the Service of their Country.

barnstormer1968
26th Feb 2010, 07:47
Mr Flap.
Being ex army myself (with RAF links) I was fully aware of both deaths, and feel for both families in this time of loss. But this is a thread for the gunner. ARRSE would be the more appropriate place to send condolences for the rifleman.

I may have read your post all wrong, but it seemed to me, that you were making light of our not mentioning both losses, as though we cared less for the death of a rifleman.

RIP rockape, thoughts to your family, and gratitude for your service.

R SCANDAL
26th Feb 2010, 08:07
Thanks for your "helpful" post Mr Flap. I am an LO with the Army and get to see the SincReps on a daily basis. I purely thought this was an appropriate forum to send condolences to one of our brothers.

strake
26th Feb 2010, 13:50
A lad local to us in Suffolk. He'll be in our thoughts. Sincere condolences to family, friends and colleagues.

ian16th
26th Feb 2010, 15:41
Naturally people feel for their own, but each loss is to be mourned; the cap badge is very much a secondary thing.

RIP Gunner & Rifleman.

barnstormer1968
26th Feb 2010, 17:09
Hi Kreuger Flap.
I am sure that you saw that I was not the only poster who reacted.

I fully agree that each death is a tragedy, and was also aware of the other threads, but then I also feel that other PPRuNer's would have known of both deaths, and did not need to be told.

Sorry to everyone for the thread distraction:(

Wrathmonk
26th Feb 2010, 17:10
KF

The Air 'equivalent' site to Rum Ration and ArRSe, i.e sites aimed at, and "run by", that particular branch of the military, is e-Goat (http://www.e-goat.co.uk/). Without wishing to be flamed I would suggest a sticky (such as you suggest) would be better placed there (if it's not already).

This in no way suggests a lack of respect on my behalf, just acknowledgment that we, the military, are very much 'guests' on this primarily civilian site. And, please, don't take that as me suggesting that the civilian aviators on this site don't care either. Everyone grieves for strangers / brothers-in-arms differently.

Rocket Chucker
26th Feb 2010, 19:11
RIP buddies

Nonquam Non Paratus

Swift and Bold

Per Ardua

Geehovah
26th Feb 2010, 19:16
A sad loss

My thoughts are with his Family at this difficult time

RIP

And may I respectfully suggest this is not the place for bickering.

Pure Pursuit
26th Feb 2010, 20:23
RIP Luke.

I found myself, quite by accident, in a bar with a few Rock Apes last night. A few glasses were raised in respect and a few tears were shed by the boys.

Per Ardua.

Green Flash
27th Feb 2010, 11:22
Without the security in depth provided by the RAF Regt our modus operandi might well be different. And when us remfs are cuddling the concrete in the middle of the night there is no better sound than a Rock baseplate thudding away:ok:

RIP Gunner, there is another bright star shining in the astral firmament now.

Thoughts are with his family and friends.

Respect, Rocks.