PDA

View Full Version : AIRLINK how it was saved

titaniumspoon
25th Feb 2010, 04:35
I was reading through a South African flying mag recently, which gave the front cover headline: AIRLINK how it was saved
Well, quite frankly I didn't realise that it was saved!
I contacted my colleague in SA to find out how accurate the article was. Factually speaking, he says it was quite good, but some very important realities were subtly omitted.
RF has commissioned Scully to do this in-depth probe into the airline to see if there is anything other than bad luck (RF) which has lead up to the recent spate of incidents and crashes.
The people that SL has spoken to have on a whole have been very carefully selected and channelled to him by the current C.P. and C.T.C. and most importantly by JVJ. We prefer to keep the company washing private, is their stance. Normally true, but I think in this case, the company dirty washing is exactly what the venerable SL would need to be privy to?
A certain "strong individual" (that made his little day) has had some negative influence. Wow! That's profound! Seeing that it was the SAA pilots who got his sorry ass fired out of SAA way back, when he started meddling in pilot affairs! Remember, this is the thing that wanted to do the final selection on SAA pilot recruitment. You think not? Go ask!
Now RF has moved it to "chief of ground operations". However, it appears as if RF has told it:"Nothing changes, just your title. You will remain in charge as the underlying chief operating officer. Anyone who has to deal with the flying side still has to have everything approved by you first and you will still steer Oupa and all other managers".
My contact at Link says Oupa is walking around with a certain strong persons mouth firmly latched onto his ring! No doubt JVJ will be at his wits end to befriend Oupa at any cost. Opera tickets, rugby tickets, barbeques, church etc, whatever you need to do to have Oupa on your side huh, JVJ?
This whole exercise is a simple white-wash scam by RF to bull-**** the public and media that real change 'has' taken place. He and his senior managers were very happy with the way the company was being run. Cut-throat at all levels, especially where your flying crew are involved. Look how he treats his Air Hostesses! Abysmal!
These past little 'inconveniences' will pass. Just stand firm all and the loot will continue flowing in.
RF has absolutely no regard or respect for experience when it comes to aviating. Yes, the law must be followed, precisely, that is the only concern, lest you be sent to the clink! But bend and twist and contort it as far as humanly conceivable for the lust of profit at any cost!
Rumour has it that RF holds a commercial flying licence himself. Well, that will explain a lot. One can hear him saying “I know about flying, don’t try and bull**** me!” Yea right.
Nothing fundamental, will change at SA Airlink, because that might improve the lot of his pilots and crew and that will necessarily cost money. NO CAN DO!!!
Scully is eventually going to walk off into the sunset thinking, “he actually used me…….”

legacy
25th Feb 2010, 09:10
Quite a mouthfull from someone who doesnt even live in SA - let alone go on hear-say. Again starts the Airlink argument: pilots vs management "we never get our way" tantrums.. bla bla bla...:bored:

Now that you feel better letting out that anger - accept the fact the you won't get him fired through a forum, change his position, get him to react, change Airlink's management or even start a pilot's 'Airlink take over" revolt (sounds fun though) ... peace bru! Take a deep breath and count to 10 ... :E

Der absolute Hammer
25th Feb 2010, 12:21
That's all quite true. For the moment, possible thank you to George, things have been saved.
But it is also true that some crews somewhere seem to suffer from a great number of mistakes.
Even now one hears the telling of November when a flight from Ortia to Kruger had hydraulic failure, spent a lot of time circling the bushes at Kruger and then returned to JNB, now with a fuel shortage problem. Presumably there was serious thought given to landing at Kruger, far from base, with hydraulic problems? Perhaps Ops over ruled that idea? Who knows? It's another incident where human error could be raised as a possible cause to the big picture.
So-whether far away or near by, one awaits the next incident in this sad saga of aviation expertise. 'Peace bru and count to ten' is not so reassuring when the other sound in the ears is 'Whoop Whoop...Pull up. Pull up.

Sky Bolt
27th Feb 2010, 18:31
The people that SL has spoken to have on a whole have been very carefully selected and channelled to him by the current C.P. and C.T.C. and most importantly by JVJ.

Friends at Airlink say the same thing. Sure you don't work for them? :D

titaniumspoon
27th Feb 2010, 18:51
I certainly do have a friend at Link and he is trustworthy. He further has no need to lie or dream up situations that have no grounding and yes, he is a line pilot. I'm not saying he knows all the angles, but most people at Link who really care for the company would like it to improve to a degree where it becomes a desireous place to work.
He further mentioned that he has heard more than one pilot say "I am embarrassed to admit to peers that I work for Link".
Makes me wander what your position at Link is???

Der absolute Hammer
28th Feb 2010, 10:03
Wonder if Scully Levine reads these pages.
Wonder if he ever talks to anyone at airways who does or who has Link friends.
It is a reasonable assumption that he does not read these pages. It is impossible that he does not know anyone at Link or that he talks to his flying peers who know pilots at Link. He has to have part at the least of, as you say, his ear to the ground.
It is reasonable to suppose that Scully Levine knows pretty much exactly what goes on at Link.
Link's safety or call it incident/accident record makes eye watering reading, page by dreadful page. But let us put that all down to bad luck, not bad link.
If Link is so gangrenous as so many say, then if nothing comes from Scully Levine to change things or rattle the bars darn good, it might be a reasonable presumption to draw one's worst conclusions as to why the man did nothing.
But whatever may happen from this inquiry, if that is really the word appropriate, the motifs will not have been to close down the airline or to make the pilots lives nicer. It will possibly have only been to satisfy CAA that no more accidents are likely and to stop bad publicity about SA aviation safety reaching the foreign press ahead of the world cup bus tournament.

Malagant
28th Feb 2010, 17:01
SL was bought in by RF in a clever play to give creedence to the fact that Link actually cares about the company and to also make a impression to the CAA that all is stops is beieng pulled and that an effort is been made to get Link up to standard. SL has surely spoken to people @ Link but he still doesn`t sit there and see the day to day running of Link. As a advisor it remains to be seen how much of the advice he gave management will be acted upon! The CAA as the governing body must maintain pressure on Link by way of inspections etc to keep it safe for crew and pax alike. It is common knowledge that money is the only thing that investors, CEO`s and management see at the end of the day! Least expense for most returns as in any business, but in aviation it kills people.

Sky Bolt
10th Mar 2010, 14:42
Are you suggesting that they were never up to standard and that the recent spate of accidents/incidents/bad luck is related to this statement?
Seems very much that most of these threads seem to concur.:ok:

With the CEO lining up the SAA post indicates that he is certainly not happy with the status quo, and was prepared to walk away from the safety and income of his own empire. Yes link was saved for the world cup.
Has anyone heard any politician mention August 2010 yet? :D
Thereafter who knows....:ugh:

legacy
11th Mar 2010, 08:53
AMEN Suitcaseman! I agree..

This is exactly what I meant in my previous post(s) with regard to Airlink - it mostly seems to be people outside the company driving the daggers - whether they've been there or not... or from those that were there 10 years ago and think they still know exactly how things are done (or have a friend working there).

One of the facts is that even though times were tough for the company recently, and despite the economic turn down, Airlink still provides jobs for quite a few and is able to perhaps be that "stepping stone" for many to build their hours or move onto some jet time!

Granted there are those unhappy in the company who do have their say and might have valid points. Whenever someone gives an objective or positive comment, out come the: "you're probably part of management" hints and comments - so what! Airlines need pilots - pilots need ground staff - all staff need managers, directors and shareholders or you wouldn't be getting income!! (and of course the passengers rule!)

If one hates the company so much - no one is stopping you from leaving. Go start your own airline since you know exactly how it should be run and will make it a pilot's paradise! I think if one is in the management seat and you're responsible for X number of jobs - you will feel the pressure and do what you must to make money - yes make money! Of course they care about profit - would you invest and work for free?

How many have actually taken the time to talk to RF and see the bigger picture - or perhaps the 5 or 10 year projection plan to make the company grow, give more jobs, type ratings, training, etc.

To the crew - well done on excellent airmanship, fine flying and giving your best and putting up with pax:D
To all ground staff - well done for putting up with pax issues and diligently getting bums in seats, preparing aircraft and assisting crew:D
To flight ops - well done for keeping the clock running on time, driving the schedule and taking all the *rap from every department, and the occational pax:D

Looking at Airlink's history, they've come a long way and have achieved alot! I congratulate them on their success and wish them a bright future! It was the Airlink staff that saved Airlink - and quick thinking from management!:D

Sky Bolt
11th Mar 2010, 15:57
Check this out for facts!!!

"Speculation is mounting over who will take over as SAA's chief executive, after the departure of Khaya Ngqula yesterday.

A statement issued earlier by Jakes Gerwel, the chairman of the SAA board, said that Chris Smyth, the head of operations, had taken over as acting chief executive in the interim.

Siza Mzimela, the chief executive of SA Express, the regional airline owned by the state but not part of SAA; and Rodger Foster, the chief executive of SA Airlink, :ok: an independently owned regional airline, which operates as part of the SAA network, are considered likely candidates. Both these airlines are profitable and have expanded in recent years."

Business times last year bru............take a breath and count to ten. Apparently you don't keep up with the news. By the way, Siza Mzimela has just been appointed for your information.

Why would you leave your family owned business and go and toil for the guy down the road if your business was doing just fine? Thats the question...........is all "hunky dory" at Link? :confused: