PDA

View Full Version : How far is this true..?

JanetFlight
25th Feb 2010, 04:02
Hi Friends...Check this out please »»»

Chinese Airline Maintenance Residex’s Blog (http://spiderx.wordpress.com/2009/12/21/chinese-airline-maintenance/)

In your opinion, is there any truth in this story, its only crap and bad propaganda, etc...:confused:

In my personnal opinion, i wouldnt believe it, but i cannot find any photoshop on the pics...weird..!???:eek::suspect::rolleyes:
Tanx..JF:)

matkat
25th Feb 2010, 05:22
This story and pics have been doing the rounds for years IIRC the story is not true.

Exup
25th Feb 2010, 07:24
It looks like the fan was strapped for a 3 engine ferry flight which is perfectly allowable as per the maintenance manual & given the damage to the fan the only option to get the aircraft to a suitable maintenance base. Cant Make out what the straps are but doubt they are seat belts due to the length required to strap as they have done so probably the correct items which can be carried in the aircraft fly away kit.

vs69
25th Feb 2010, 08:13
It is definitely not strapped down with seatbelts, I remember reading the truth behind this picture and the aircraft had gone in to have the engine replaced, somehow someone with access to a keyboard got hold of the picture - Note the spiel at the end about Chinese cars entering the U.S market, seems eerily reminiscent of the uninformed drivel on the Daily Mail website about the Thomas Cook a/c with the fuel leak.....

Fargoo
25th Feb 2010, 08:20
snopes.com: Air China Jet Engine (http://www.snopes.com/photos/airplane/airchina.asp)

Note the engine is on a transport stand and has no nose cowl fitted.

vs69
25th Feb 2010, 08:26
Thats the link I was looking for......

JanetFlight
25th Feb 2010, 15:36
That was precisely what i was looking for...thanks for the link, Fargoo:ok:

GAZIN
26th Feb 2010, 23:09
The link posted by fargoo seems to suggest that the engine pictured is from the DHL A300, but it's the wrong make of engine for that aircraft, OO-DLL.:confused:

Dr Illitout
28th Feb 2010, 20:54
I can confirm that the straps that are fitted are the approved fan balde gags for both the CF-6 and the JT-9. If you look closely on the picture you can read the part no on one of the belts. I have fitted the same onto a JT-9 once.
These are fitted to the 747-1/2/300's. On the PW powered -400's though they changed the buckle to something that didn't look like a seat belt buckle. Perhaps due to this urban ledgend????

Rgds Cking

TURIN
28th Feb 2010, 21:55
Oy Doc. Did you copy and paste that from another site? Shame on you!!:=

Dr Illitout
28th Feb 2010, 22:19
Turin.?????
Did I ever tell you that I did a Jumbo on my own once?

Rgds Dr I

muduckace
1st Mar 2010, 01:42
I have strapped a JT-9 myself before for a 3 engine ferry, stinking bird guts and sharp edges. Forget exactly what we used to strap them with, pretty sure there was a tool number on it.

Looking at the snopes link. Those are not seatbelts, they look like the straps as I remember them, allthough I remember using 5 or 6.