PDA

View Full Version : Comm speech clarity

B314
25th Feb 2010, 00:49
I’m aware of the different types of headsets used by pilots, have used various types of microphones myself and learnt how to use them correctly to avoid the unpleasant effects of popping, sibilance, speech distortion, etc, due almost exclusively to being used too near to the mouth. When listening to aircraft comms (commercial not private) I find that in general the speech intelligibility is excellent, however there are occasions when this isn’t the case and the resulting speech intelligibility is average, suffering from the above "effects". Is this due to that part of the training being forgotten and bad habits creeping in or less than ideal headsets being employed, or cockpit noise being of such a level that the pilot or First Officer feels they have to speak louder to make themselves heard, or indeed some other reason?

....on a lighter note, from the “alternative instruments to have on your car dashboard” dept, how about an attitude indicator? Could be fun climbing up and down hills, cornering on those winding country roads or using on your next off-roading expedition?.. Just a thought....(I know, product of an idle mind...:))

PS I know you can get vehicle versions for off roading, but this would be more fun!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
25th Feb 2010, 06:35
You're right about microphone usage, but I do not know if pilots and controllers are shewn the correct technique. The best method is to speak across a microphone rather than straight into it. I used it during my ATC work and also in my ham radio activities.

henry crun
25th Feb 2010, 07:35
Gosh HD, it is a long time since I have seen shewn spelt like that.
There used to be notices at the ticket barriers on Southern Rail, "All tickets must be shewn", but I prefer not to think about how many years ago that was.

One of my dictionaries now lists it as Archaic. :)

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
25th Feb 2010, 08:02
<<One of my dictionaries now lists it as Archaic>>

Not so, Henry.... your dictionary was referring to ME!!! (By the way..... there's someone at the door..)

crispey
25th Feb 2010, 08:53
Shut up Eccles!

Courtesy of Radio 7

Er,hope I've got that right.

David Horn
25th Feb 2010, 15:03
B314 - I have a vague memory of seeing exactly that in a borrowed Mitsubishi Pajero. Appeared to be supplied as standard.

Ten West
25th Feb 2010, 21:23
I drive a BMW. Would the attitude indicator read from "Arrogant" to "Aggresive"? ;)