PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair?

Vortex Wake
7th Jul 2000, 19:13
Just looking for some info on travelling Ryanair.I have used other low cost airlines but I like to know what to expect.What are the planes like,when do you check in,are seats allocated and can food/drink be bought aboard etc. Cant find these on their web site as far as I can see. Thanks in advance.

justapax
7th Jul 2000, 21:21
Aircraft: some are old, the interiors look a bit tired, the outside a bit grubby and battered, oil-leaks etc. While this kind of thing doesn't inspire confidence, I'm sure you'd have seen something on Pprune if safety was affected by this general tattiness. You can probably assume that as no-one is complaining, safety is up to scratch, and that nothing is affected except the aesthetics.

When do you check in: this depends on the airport.

Seats allocated: Yes, on every flight I've been on so far.

Food and drink can be bought aboard but at a stupendous price - on the Bournemouth-Dublin run I think the flight was £ 49 and they were offering lunch at something like £ 25. Much better to bring a sandwich or whatever with you. There seems to be no objection to pax scoffing their brought-on-board picnic in flight. Concerning buying alcoholic beverages, there is no bar service at least on the shorter flights, don't know about the longer ones. I'm afraid I also don't know their policy on bringing your own beer or wine onto the plane; as most of their flights are short, I've always been inclined to save my thirst for a proper pint of stout at the airport than a tinnie aloft.

Although I've not tried it myself, several Pprune threads suggest that Ryanair have a co-operative attitude to flight-deck visits and that they're a friendly bunch.

Compared with other low-cost airlines, they seem to offer a bit more leg-room, and they fly to some useful regionals.

For me, the combination of low pricing and the fact they fly from where I want to fly from, i.e., a regional rather than Heathrow, is an excellent combination. If only we could get rid of stupid monopolistic practises so they could fly Bournemouth to Brussels South direct...

FlyingV
10th Jul 2000, 01:02
I last flew Ryanair DUB-MAN a couple of months ago. There was no seat-allocation. I believe they gave that up a while ago.

Other than that, I think justapax summed it up pretty well.

prate
11th Jul 2000, 22:03
I've never had seat allocation on a Ryanair flight.

FlyingV
11th Jul 2000, 23:07
I rembmber being allocated a seat on Ryanair - in 1986 !!

Geez, I'm getting old http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

Hotel Tango
12th Jul 2000, 00:16
Heard from a mate that Ryanair turn up the cabin heating in order to generate better drink sales!! Do they charge for soft drinks?

Fat Cat
14th Jul 2000, 16:31
Yep - you will be charged for any drinks once onboard.

Vortex Wake
14th Jul 2000, 18:39
Cheers for the replies so far,seems they are like EZY in many ways,who I have used many a time.